Author Topic: l33t Problem  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Romeo

l33t Problem
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:02:13 PM »
Yesterday I upgraded my dad's machine to the latest version of PM from ver 0.6.x.  I tried to set up a password for him.  The Use l33t option was set to not at all.  But for some reason, the l33t Level was still set to 1, even though it was gayed out.  So, I didn't think anything about it.  When I looked at the generated PW, however, it seemed to have some character, which are not defined in the character set in it, which kind of indicates to me that l33t level 1 was being used.

What is the best and easiest way to fix this?
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
l33t Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 04:14:13 PM »
Strange. Well, if he has no accounts, then simply close Firefox and delete passwordmaker.rdf. A new one will be created next time you start.

If he has accounts, you proabably don't want to delete passwordmaker.rdf beacuse you'd have to re-create all of them. So close all browsers and:
  • open passwordmaker.rdf in your favorite text editor
  • find all instances of whereLeetLB
  • Set each instance to "off". The full line should read like this: NSx:whereLeetLB="off" where NSx is, for example, NS6, NS7, NS8, or some other number.

Offline Romeo

l33t Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 04:29:14 PM »
That's what I thought I should do, but I wanted to confirm, before I do it. - Thanks

Offline Romeo

l33t Problem
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 12:53:30 AM »
Well, I tried all that, but the generated password on my dad's machine is still different from the one generated on my machine.  We compared all the settings and they are the same on both.  We are both on the same web site, we both highlight the same account in the account specifix options, use the same MPW, but the passwords are different.

The only difference in the two installations seems to be that mine was a fresh install string with 0.8.*, whereas my dad's was upgraded from 0.6.*.  Also, I had removed PM on his machine and reinstalled 0.8.7.  I didn't remove the profile, though.

Any idea why the passwords would be different ?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
l33t Problem
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 01:03:58 AM »
I'm sending you a beta to try on both machines. It has an icon in the status bar. The tooltip of the icon shows you all settings that were used to populate a field. This will show you precisely what was used on both PCs to generate the passwords.

Offline Romeo

l33t Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 01:06:35 AM »
Thanks Eric, I'll be looking for it.  I gather that I'll need to uninstall the current version of PM before I install the beta, no ?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
l33t Problem
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 01:39:28 AM »
You should just be able to just drag-and-drop the file onto Firefox, no uninstallation needed. If that doesn't work for some reason, then do an uninstall. Don't worry, you won't break anything.

Offline Romeo

l33t Problem
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 01:47:22 AM »
...Provided the beta is compatible...

Offline Romeo

l33t Problem
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:28:34 AM »
OK, finally.  I decided to create a new profile on his machine and guess what.  The passwords are finally the same on his and on my machines.   :cheers:

Thanks again for your help Eric.

PasswordMaker Forums

l33t Problem
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:28:34 AM »