Author Topic: URL question  (Read 10305 times)

Offline trephin

URL question
« on: October 11, 2005, 12:54:47 AM »
Ok.  I was trying to follow the thread about phishing

since reading, I have become a bit more confused about a few things which hopefully, can be corrected

first, "When URL Contains"  (henceforth WUC)

1) if WUC is specified aaa.bbb.com then is looks for exactly that and not say, bbb.com?

2) adding a preceding period to the URL, ie, .bbb.com, would mean that any url that terminates in .bbb.com would satisfy the condition, ie, aaa.bbb.com?

3) however, if the WUC is bbb.com, then aaa.bbb.com as well as aaabbb.com would satisfy the condition

4) what does a trailing slash is added to the end of the WUC URL do?  

5) if the WUC is specified as aaa.bbb.com/ddd then only that specific address/combination would satisfy the condition?

Second, concerning Non Web Use

6) if you want to use PM for non web use, then you have to add something but it is whatever you want, as the WUC?

7) is there anyway to use autopopulate for non web use?

8) if not, then you have to enter something in "Using URL" in basic/advance options and then copy to the clipboard?

ok  that's about it

:-D

thanks

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
URL question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 01:55:07 AM »
Hi,

if WUC is specified aaa.bbb.com then is looks for exactly that and not say, bbb.com?
Right.
adding a preceding period to the URL, ie, .bbb.com, would mean that any url that terminates in .bbb.com would satisfy the condition, ie, aaa.bbb.com?
Right.
however, if the WUC is bbb.com, then aaa.bbb.com as well as aaabbb.com would satisfy the condition
Right.

what does a trailing slash is added to the end of the WUC URL do?
If, for example, WUC=bbb.com, then bbb.com.trephin.com would match. However if WUC=bbb.com/, then bbb.com.trephin.com does not match.

if the WUC is specified as aaa.bbb.com/ddd then only that specific address/combination would satisfy the condition?
No. aaa.bbb.com/dddd would match as would aaa.bbb.com/ddd/eee and zzz.aaa.bbb.com/ddd. Think of the wording of the phrase "When URL contains" closely and you'll understand.

if you want to use PM for non web use, then you have to add something but it is whatever you want, as the WUC?
yes.

is there anyway to use autopopulate for non web use?
Not yet.

f not, then you have to enter something in "Using URL" in basic/advance options and then copy to the clipboard?
yes.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:55:30 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline trephin

URL question
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 01:25:05 AM »

No. aaa.bbb.com/dddd would match as would aaa.bbb.com/ddd/eee and zzz.aaa.bbb.com/ddd. Think of the wording of the phrase "When URL contains" closely and you'll understand.

Thanks Eric.  I thought it would do that, but I got a little detoured when reading the other thread

Just one other clarification. I can just specify the URL inlcuding the http:// to create an exact match?  or does the the protocol get ignored?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:27:35 AM by trephin »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
URL question
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 01:07:13 AM »
The protocol does not get ignored.

Offline ajw

URL question
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 02:18:55 PM »
Eric,
Does it make sense to be able to say "When URL begins with" instead of "When URL contains" to anchor the comparison to the beginning of the URL?

Otherwise there's some potential to matching later on in the URL - admittedly a perverse case, but still...

That does mean the comparison would have to include the protocol - that's the one thing I don't like about it.

Perhaps a way to say the equivalent of "When Host is" - permitting www.xyz.com instead of requiring http://www.xyz.com/

User's aren't likely to understand "host" though, so need a different term.

Goal here is to be sure the check is for the actual domain in the URL, and doesn't match a phisher's specially-crafted URL.   (e.g., http://my.phishing.site.com/www.xyz.com/)

- Al -

Offline Romeo

URL question
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 02:43:29 PM »
Does it make sense to be able to say "When URL begins with" instead of "When URL contains" to anchor the comparison to the beginning of the URL?
Precisely, I have been talking about that earlier myself and do agree that this should be an option.

If I knew the terminology, one could even have a check to say when protocol, host, when URL is equal to.  In other words, when the part before the first dot is equal to, the part between the first and the second dot is equal to, etc.

Then, the tooltip help for these check boxes could show examples of which part of the URL has to be equal to what.

Thans ajw for bringing that up.  It's good to know that I am not the only one who sees it this way - Two great minds think alike!    :lol:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 02:43:44 PM by Romeo »
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
URL question
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 05:20:35 PM »
I will be adding a "When URL equals" option in addition to the existing "When URL contains", and maybe even "When URL ends with". Moreover, there is a feature request which asks for the ability to specify multiple values for this field. To accomodate that, this piece will probably take its own tab on the Account Settings dialog.

Offline Romeo

URL question
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 05:35:49 PM »
I will be adding a "When URL equals" option in addition to the existing "When URL contains", and maybe even "When URL ends with". Moreover, there is a feature request which asks for the ability to specify multiple values for this field. To accomodate that, this piece will probably take its own tab on the Account Settings dialog.
Eric, I do not think we need "end with". xyz.com/google.com ends with goolge.com.  Much rather I would see "starts with".

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
URL question
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 06:06:47 PM »
You'll have both.

Offline Romeo

URL question
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 07:06:58 PM »
Thank you Eric.  So, we will have:
  • When URL equals
  • When URL contains
  • When URL ends with
  • When URL starts with
That is great.  I think I am happy now.    :cheers:

Offline quixin

URL question
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 07:23:46 PM »
Thank you Eric.  So, we will have:
  • When URL equals
  • When URL contains
  • When URL ends with
  • When URL starts with
That is great.  I think I am happy now.    :cheers:
:whistle:  And multiples of each! :tomato:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:24:22 PM by quixin »

Offline Romeo

URL question
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 07:53:42 PM »
And multiples of each!
I am not sure what you mean by this.  Is it one for each account ?  Or is it multiple of   :cheers: ?

Offline quixin

URL question
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 08:28:09 PM »

nambia

URL question
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 02:12:56 PM »
The protocol does not get ignored.
Are you sure the protocol isn't ignored?

I used as WUC the exact match of an URL (https://aaaa.com) as indicated from the status icon but PM didn't recognized it and choosed therefore always my "Defaults". Neither ttps://aaaa.com but on the other hand aaaa.com was finally recognized. Needed one hour to find the problem ....  :rolleyes:

Maybe I didn't understand it well ... (possible as I'm new with PM)
Anyway now I'm using it without protocol.

Bye (and thanks for a great concept and its realization)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
URL question
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 02:38:32 PM »
Hi nambia,

Are you sure the protocol isn't ignored?
I just re-tested to make sure. This is what I did:
  • Created new account
  • Entered http://mail.yahoo.com for When URL Contains
  • Entered http://mail.yahoo.com for Use This URL
  • Navigated to http://mail.yahoo.com
  • In the password field, selected Populate with PasswordMaker from the right-mouse click context-menu
  • The statusbar icon shifted 45 degrees and hovering over it showed me that the newly-created account was used for the password
Does this sound like a good test?
-Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

URL question
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 02:38:32 PM »