Author Topic: gmail notifier problem  (Read 18866 times)

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« on: October 09, 2005, 10:51:30 PM »
I restarted my computer and tried to start up the gmail notifier, but it would not let me right click and enable password maker.  I put in my old password and it was also denied.  So, there is no way to enable gmail notifier, so I just turned the application off.  Any thoughts?  I'm probably doing something wrong?

Thanks,

jasonod

Offline quixin

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 11:26:27 PM »
FWIW I also run the gmail notifier without and conflicts.  What leads you to believe the problem is with the notifier?

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 01:26:41 AM »
Maybe I'm not following the instructions on how to use this extension, but when the gmail notifier window pops up, I put my username in, then when I right-click to put the password in, there is no option (all the options are shaded out, i.e. paste, etcetera).  HOw to put in the password?

Thanks,

jasonod

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
gmail notifier problem
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 01:50:51 AM »
GMail is a pain in the butt...

If you ever get logged out with the notifier, you have to go to the gmail page and log in manually first.

I believe this is due to the stupid gmail requirement forcing you to use the stoopid graphic/character confirmation thingie.

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 03:08:35 AM »
I am now "temporarily logged out".  How do I permanently log back in?

Offline quixin

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 03:31:35 AM »
I think I understand your problem now.  Password does not have the ability to populate the notifier extensions password field.  It will only populate the password on the gmail login web page.  The notifier does however have an option to remember your password, which is what I use.  By checking for the notifier to remember your password and to automatically login under the preferences, it will always remain logged in.

Hope this helps.l
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 03:31:51 AM by quixin »

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 03:42:25 AM »
I'm not following you.  Yes, the notifier extension password field is not being populated and yes, it only populates the password on the gmail login web page.

"The notifier does however have an option to remember your password, which is what I use."  It is not even accepting my password, so how am I to check the box to remember the password?

jasonod

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
gmail notifier problem
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 03:58:08 AM »
Pull up the Password maker window (under the Tools menu, or on your desktop if you added it) and copy it from there.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 04:03:29 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm copying the password's generating but the gmail notifier extension window is still not accepting it.

jasonod

Offline quixin

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 11:02:51 AM »
  • Are you able to login to gmail from the main login page?
  • When you open PasswordMaker to copy your password, are you using the default settings or have you created a specific account under PasswordMaker for gmail?
If you are only using basic options and have not created an account in PasswordMaker for your gmail, you will have to navigate to the gmail login page to get your correct generated password, otherwise if you have created an account in your PasswordMaker settings, the password generated for gmail will be correct every time.

Let us know if your still not quite sure.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:05:19 AM by quixin »

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 12:32:05 PM »
Okay, apparently I'm not understanding how to use Password maker.  I keep generating passwords and copying to clipboard and trying to paste into the gmail notifier field and it keeps rejecting it.  Can you walk me through, step by step, and how to do this??

jasonod

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 12:36:33 PM »
HELP!  Now I cannot get into my email account!!

jasonod

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
gmail notifier problem
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 12:51:11 PM »
Hi Jason,

Relax, deep breath... now...

Are you trying to get into your gmail account using the GMail notifier?

I just tried to reproduce your problem, and GMail Notfier is not working for me either, but I can log inot my gmail account fine without it.

So, first you can try this:

1. Go to www.gmail.com

2. Hit ALT-` to bring up the Master Password Prompt (or to populate the password if you have opted to Save it to disk)

3. Click the 'Sign-In' button

Here is the thing I hate about GMail... you now are presented with a window that makes it *appear* that your login failed, though it doesn't actually say this. Your login, in fact, did *not* fail, this is just GMails idea of security, I guess... anyway, you now have to log in AGAIN, using the SAME username/password, except this time you also have to enter the characters that are being displayed in the image/graphic, so:

4. Hit ALT-` AGAIN

5. Replace the username that got populated in the box where you need to type the characters shown in the image/graphic with the characters shown in the image/graphic.

You should now be logged in.

If this does not work, then let us know precisely where it fails.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 12:53:06 PM by tanstaafl »

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »
Not working.  I hit "ALT-`" and it erases my login name.

jasonod

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 01:35:09 PM »
Okay, I got into my gmail account using my old password, i.e. I didn't use Password maker.  I think I need to take a break from this extension and figure it out with another account instead of my gmail.  Thanks for all your help.  I'm sure I'll be asking more questions later.

jasonod

PasswordMaker Forums

gmail notifier problem
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 01:35:09 PM »