Author Topic: Changing the Master Password (MPW)  (Read 5206 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Changing the Master Password (MPW)
« on: October 09, 2005, 07:27:59 PM »
This post is the result of a question that came up here.

I thought about this a while back, then forgot about it, but I'd like to hear others thoughts...

As I'm sure we all know, changing passwords on a regular basis is a good (I would call it critical) security practice.

The problem is, this requires a lot of manual labor. PM has made my life so much easier, considering doing without it is just not on the table. And in fact, even the hassle of changing passwords is easier, though not a lot.

What I was thinking of is possibly coming up with some kind of 'Change Master Password' routine in PM, where it assisted in the process. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is feasible, but was interested in hearing if anyone else had given this any thought...

Just to toss something out there...

The only thing I can think of would be a special Dialog window that had a place for 'Old' and 'New' Master Passwords, then allowed you to step through each Account (obviously this part would only be applicable for the Custom Accounts), and 'right-click>Populate Old Password', or 'right-click>Populate New Password'. For accounts that used the Defaults, have a new menu choice and/or hotkey (Ctrl-ALT-`?) to bring up the 'Change MPW' dialog.

Anyway, just wanted to post this before I forgot about it again...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:34:30 AM by tanstaafl »

Offline ajw

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:22:49 PM »
I also posted this suggestion at ability to change master password without loss

There's a couple of ideas there as to how it might work.

Not sure what's best - probably need to figure out the goals first...   (not lose old password at site until the site is on the new MPW, remind user to switch site to new MPW's password, how to/can it be supported with on-line version, etc...)

- Al -

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:22:49 PM »