Author Topic: auto-close timer for PM window  (Read 13868 times)

Offline ajw

auto-close timer for PM window
« on: October 06, 2005, 08:16:36 AM »
Right now, PasswordManager stays open until I manually close it.

That leaves the risk that I might leave my machine with it still open - perhaps just hidden behind other windows.

Evil Nasty-Doers might poke at my machine while I'm gone and end up with a list of all my passwords.

How about a (configurable in seconds, 0=disable) timer setting that would automatically close the window after inactivity.   (auto-populate or populate with ALT~ would not be considered activity; only actual activity in the PM window)

- Al -

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 01:10:23 PM »
Hi Al,

Right now, PasswordManager stays open until I manually close it.
Hey, it called PasswordMaker :) although I like PasswordManager more.

How about a (configurable in seconds, 0=disable) timer setting that would automatically close the window after inactivity. (auto-populate or populate with ALT~ would not be considered activity; only actual activity in the PM window)
Should window focus be considered activity, or just typing/clicking in PasswordMaker?

-Eric

Offline ajw

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 06:54:49 PM »
I would argue it should not be considered activity, since the idea is to reduce the chances of leaving PM open when you walk away from the computer.

I'm envisioning someone doing something with PM and then gets called away ("Hey Joe, come see this!").   Time passes and it's hours before he gets back to the computer - it'd be bad to have the window open all that time.

That does leave the issue of uncommitted changes - it would be improper to automatically commit them; the user might have ultimately wanted to cancel the changes.  It would also be inconvenient to lose those changes - especially if the user might not remember what the change was.  (did I use alanweiner or alanjayweiner as the user name - or was this the one I changed to rumplestiltskin?)

I would suggest you save any open account window such that when the user re-opens PM, that account window is automagically opened with the changes displayed.  Essentially, PM closes itself, then user hits CTL~ and is right back where they left it.

Hey!  I just discovered CTL~ doesn't work if PM has an account window open!  :)

- Al -

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 07:06:09 PM »
I would suggest you save any open account window such that when the user re-opens PM, that account window is automagically opened with the changes displayed.
This is quite easy in the Win32 development where you simply hide/show windows as you like. I'll have to research how to do this in the extension. I'm betting it can be done.

Tyrantmizar: can you add ths to the FRL?

Hey! I just discovered CTL~ doesn't work if PM has an account window open!
Can you post this in the bugs forum so it doesn't slip between the cracks? Thank you in advance.

-Eric

Offline ajw

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 07:36:40 PM »
Hey! I just discovered CTL~ doesn't work if PM has an account window open!
Can you post this in the bugs forum so it doesn't slip between the cracks?
All set!

- Al -

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 02:00:25 AM »
At the very least, clear the Master Password field when the dialog is inactive. This SHOULD be done in a desktop type app. Matter of fact... *goes to make request in another forum*
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 04:00:14 PM »
There's already a request to clear the MPW after a specified period of inactivity; I think it's quite old, but no one really showed much interest in it.

LkonKbd

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 06:50:56 PM »
There's already a request to clear the MPW after a specified period of inactivity; I think it's quite old, but no one really showed much interest in it.

Excuse me, just got around to reading some of these.

Is this to be done even if we have ticked the 'Save in Memory' or 'Save to Disc'?  Or maybe this is only in reference to the PWM's MPW field?

Just curious,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 09:15:35 PM »
Hi,

Is this to be done even if we have ticked the 'Save in Memory' or 'Save to Disc'? Or maybe this is only in reference to the PWM's MPW field?
Yes, this is only done for PWM's MPW field. It will be completely optional. If you choose to enable it, you can define after how many minutes of inactivity the PWM MPW field is automatically cleared.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »
"Eric,"

Now I fully understand why you are the ONE, numbre uno, #1, etceteras.  You are quick, to the point, and will do everythingy possible to meet anyones needs.

THANK YOU,
'LkonKbd'
'd'
etceteras
P.S. I know, forgot to LogIn.  BAG !

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 10:46:05 PM »
Now I fully understand why you are the ONE, numbre uno, #1, etceteras
Thank you for the flattery :)

P.S. I know, forgot to LogIn. BAG !
Why does this always happen to you? Do you often clear your cookies?

Offline Romeo

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 11:03:07 PM »
FWIW, I've got my browser set up to clean all the cookies, when I end my session, but I still log in most every time, unless I forget.  Lately, I have done pretty good remembering to sign in, IMHO.  I guess LkonKbd needs a little sticky on the TV part of his computer reminding him to log in, what do you think?    :lol:
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

LkonKbd

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 11:28:14 PM »
FWIW, I've got my browser set up to clean all the cookies, when I end my session, but I still log in most every time, unless I forget.  Lately, I have done pretty good remembering to sign in, IMHO.  I guess LkonKbd needs a little sticky on the TV part of his computer reminding him to log in, what do you think?    :lol:
I have the sticky on my screen but it is in my way most of the time and I have to keep moving it so I can read my messages.  What am I to do?  It is blank and making a mess of my screen.

BAG!!

Offline Romeo

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 11:42:54 PM »
I have the sticky on my screen but it is in my way most of the time and I have to keep moving it so I can read my messages.  What am I to do?  It is blank and making a mess of my screen.

BAG!!
Just put the thingy at the bottom of the screen.  The you ought to have a clear view of the screen.    :lol:
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

LkonKbd

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 11:48:46 PM »
I have the sticky on my screen but it is in my way most of the time and I have to keep moving it so I can read my messages.  What am I to do?  It is blank and making a mess of my screen.

BAG!!
Just put the thingy at the bottom of the screen.  The you ought to have a clear view of the screen.    :lol:
OK, I will do that maybe tomorrow, maybe I will write somethingy on it on Thursday, maybe.BAG! lol (-;|=

See you are becoming a LKonKBD too.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 11:48:46 PM »