Author Topic: help I'm locked out of my email account  (Read 787904 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
help I'm locked out of my email account
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2005, 11:47:50 PM »
Hi redface,
You have to make the fotos "public" on Flickr. We can't see them right now because you have them set to "private" (I think that's the default).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 11:48:20 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2005, 12:24:40 AM »
There is another way, if you don't want to do that.  Go to each photo.  Above it there should be a button that says "all sizes."  Click it.  
This will take you the actual photo.  Copy the url in the first (?) blank and post that here.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

redface

redface

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2005, 03:48:48 PM »
Hold on - those require a sign in. I've made them public now, so the original links should work.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2005, 04:22:27 PM »
the second is a screenshot of the same step on my computer, which shows that the "uring URL" box says "[none - click account settings to set]"
This is suspicious to me...
I still think this is your problem, and here's why...

When I open PM, and then open one of my Custom Accounts, the 'Using URL' box (back on the main PM Advanced Settings window) shows the URL that I have defined for that Custom Account, NOT "[none - click account settings to set]". Unless this a NEW Account that you had not saved yet.

Your screenshot does indeed show "[none - click..." ]... were you in the process of creating this account when yo captured this screenshot, or did you simply open your existing account?

I also recall what you said here:

The first is a screenshot from the video, the second is a screenshot of the same step on my computer, which shows that the "uring URL" box says "[none - click account settings to set]", and the 3rd screenshot shows a different page for changing the password at deckertechnology.net. This page is where I concentrated my efforts to change the password (it's under >forums >profile), although I also tried on the page used in the video.
The *only* time it should say "[ none - click... ]" is when you are creating a NEW account, and BEFORE you have saved it. Once you have saved it, when you open the Account Settings for that Account, the 'Using URL' box back on the main PM Advanced Settings window should display the URL that you have defined in the 'Use This URL' box in your Custom Account Settings. If it is not, then that is your problem (but what is *causing* it is a different story).

Offline quixin

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2005, 04:27:38 PM »
One difference between the settings I used in the video and your settings is I did not use any special characters, only standard.  That could be the key.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2005, 05:27:20 PM »
redface, just click "OK" on the dialog named "PasswordMaker Account-Specific Settings" after you've filled in the fields (like When URL Contains and Use This URL).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:27:30 PM by Eric H. Jung »

redface

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »
were you in the process of creating this account when yo captured this screenshot
In PM? Yes. I thought starting fresh with a new account would be the best way to ensure it was being created correctly.

I'm in! Problem is, I don't know what I did different this time: I created a new account in PM, and then closed the window. Then I logged in to the site and changed the password using the "populate with PasswordMaker" option, logged out, and used the "populate with PasswordMaker" option again when I logged in, and voila, it worked. Seems like I've done the exact same thing several times already...  :unsure:

With all this hassle to get a working password for one website (while not qualified to write a book like some people on this website ;) , I'm not an idiot, either), I'm a little hesitant to proceed... I guess I'll proceed with caution.

Thanks everyone, for your help.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2005, 05:54:33 PM »
were you in the process of creating this account when yo captured this screenshot
In PM? Yes. I thought starting fresh with a new account would be the best way to ensure it was being created correctly.
You are correct - but what you missed was that you haven't *created* the account *until* you close the window (click 'OK').

I'm in! Problem is, I don't know what I did different this time:
Yes you do - you just said so below:

I created a new account in PM, and then closed the window.
You *closed the window*, thus saving the Account.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:54:58 PM by tanstaafl »

redface

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2005, 07:07:55 PM »
Yes you do - you just said so below:

I created a new account in PM, and then closed the window.

You *closed the window*, thus saving the Account.
I closed the window each time I created the account. Really I did! (see below)

OK. I've tested this out until I can consistently lock myself out or not, and here are my findings:

Each time, I started by deleting the account in PM and starting over. I logged into the DT account and navigated to the account info page. The URL of the account info page is of course different than the URL of the login page. This has to be related to why I had such a problem.

If I type "http://deckertechnology.net" into the "when URL contains" and "use this URL" boxes, click OK, populate the change password fields with PM, and logout, I am locked out of the account. Likewise if I copy the password to the clipboard and paste it into the change password fields.

However, when I copy and paste the URL of the account info page into the "when URL contains" and "use this URL" boxes, I've got an incorrect URL. If I whittle it down to "http://deckertechnology.net" by highlighting and deleting the extra characters, click OK, populate the change password fields with PM, and logout, I can log back in with no problem.  This also works if I copy the URL from the main page and then paste it into the boxes while creating the PM account while on the account info page.

So! There you have it.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2005, 08:03:02 PM »
Redface,
I followed your steps on deckertechnology.net (whose site is that, anyway???) and got a similar--but different error. I think you may have found a bug in passwordmaker's context-menu "Populate With PasswordMaker" option, but I also found a bug with their website.

Try this:

In passwordmaker, goto Advanced Settings->Global Settings and check "Show all passwords on web pages as clear text" (although I think it's called something else in 0.8.7) -- tanstaafl, can you tell me what that checkbox is named?

Now copy and paste your PasswordMaker-generated password into their account info page (there are two boxes there, for confirmation). You'll be able to see what gets pasted there instead of "******"

Now when have auto-complete in PasswordMaker checked and refresh that page, the password fields both get populated correctly. I can see them instead of **** and they're correct.

So far so good. Clear those fields and try populating both of them with the "Populate With PasswordMaker" context-menu (right-click) item. For me, the first field gets populated with my username (I entered a username in my account-specific settings), NOT my password. Anyone else experience this?

Now here's the website bug: in PasswordMaker, make sure you're using a funky character set for this account. For example, choose the first character set from the Characters drop-down box. The password I'm generating is H+*\w!cQ-)ZJ. Put this password in both password boxes and click Submit. The site comes back with this error: Both passwords are different. They need to be identical.

Fun stuff!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »
"Show the contents of password fields hidden with asterisks on webpages"

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2005, 08:25:43 PM »
So far so good. Clear those fields and try populating both of them with the "Populate With PasswordMaker" context-menu (right-click) item. For me, the first field gets populated with my username (I entered a username in my account-specific settings), NOT my password. Anyone else experience this?
gah! I did see this, and meant to report it... and I just confirmed it again to be sure...

Now here's the website bug: in PasswordMaker, make sure you're using a funky character set for this account. For example, choose the first character set from the Characters drop-down box. The password I'm generating is H+*\w!cQ-)ZJ. Put this password in both password boxes and click Submit. The site comes back with this error: Both passwords are different. They need to be identical.
Confirmed... I got the exact same thing...

redface

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2005, 09:10:12 PM »
Both passwords are different. They need to be identical.
Yes. I got this error message earlier this week as well. However, when I changed the password on the profile page (click on forums to find the profile page), I didn't get that error.

Clear those fields and try populating both of them with the "Populate With PasswordMaker" context-menu (right-click) item. For me, the first field gets populated with my username (I entered a username in my account-specific settings), NOT my password. Anyone else experience this?
Yes. Also,

1) When I had the "automatically populate uname & password fields" box checked early on in this process, it entered my uname into EVERY FIELD on the acct info page. And

2) Just now, when I went to login and used "populate w/PM", it entered my uname in the uname field, but also entered my uname in the pw field. I had to copy the pw to the clipboard and paste it in. It wasn't doing that before!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 09:53:43 PM »
Just now, when I went to login and used "populate w/PM", it entered my uname in the uname field, but also entered my uname in the pw field. I had to copy the pw to the clipboard and paste it in. It wasn't doing that before!
I can fix this shortly.

When I had the "automatically populate uname & password fields" box checked early on in this process, it entered my uname into EVERY FIELD on the acct info page.
I don't think I can fix this because PasswordMaker has no way of knowing which field really is the username. It's taking educated guesses.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 09:53:43 PM »