Author Topic: Version 0.8.7 available  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Version 0.8.7 available
« on: September 27, 2005, 02:20:56 PM »
Hi,

The PasswordMaker Browser Extension version 0.8.7 has been released and is available here.

Regards,
Eric
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 02:21:52 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Tyrantmizar

Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 09:18:47 PM »
Wow.  Just zipping through the releases.  0.8.1-0.8.7 in a few weeks.

Though that is still better than the 0.6.1 betas.  You added a few dozen features in 6 betas.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »
Wow. Just zipping through the releases. 0.8.1-0.8.7 in a few weeks.
Yeah, one of the current trends in software engineering is "iterative development" promulgated by Agile development methods and XP (extreme programming). The idea is to release often and frequently, with each release having relatively few new features and bugfixes.

Contrast that philosophy with what's termed the traditional "waterfall approach" to software engineering. The waterfall approach is evident in products like Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, etc., whereby they issue perhaps one giant release a year. That release has a ton of features. They might issue a fixpack or two in between releases, but they try their best to minimize those.

Microsoft recently embraced the iterative approach (in one product line, anyway) when they announced they'd issue a Windows XP update every month.

There are pros and cons to each philosophy; one isn't strictly better than the other, but I do like getting things in the hands of users sooner rather than later. It's their choice whether or not they want to upgrade.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 10:01:45 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Romeo

Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 12:30:23 AM »
Eric,

the iterative development might be a nice new approach for the programmer and the user, but for the writer of the help manual it is h*ll.  I haven't even gotten around to posting anyhting other than the new folder on the web site and now I'll have to change the folder name again.  My be I should just call it latest release ?
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 03:11:17 AM »
Sorry  :(

/current is often used for directory names in these situations.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 03:11:26 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Romeo

Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:59:11 PM »
Not a problem Eric - I as just teasing about that.  As far as the folder name is concerned, I was teasing also.  So, don't you worry about a thing.  I am a user, too, as you know.   :)
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Tyrantmizar

Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 10:35:35 PM »
Quick question:  What is Firefox's new policy?  "Iterative development" or the "waterfall" approach?  Currently they are on a waterfall approach of sorts, but I think that's mainly due to their crappy updating system.  With 1.5 supporting patches, will we be seeing more frequent updates?
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 03:07:43 AM »
What is Firefox's new policy?
I've no idea. These aren't "polcies" which a product/company must adhere to or choose between. They are schools of thought; philosophies; corporate cultures.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 03:10:36 AM by Eric H. Jung »

PasswordMaker Forums

Version 0.8.7 available
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 03:07:43 AM »