Author Topic: MPW pop-up enhancement - Multiple Prompts  (Read 18842 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
MPW pop-up enhancement - Multiple Prompts
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »
I have a few Bookmark folders I regularly open as a group, and they have multiple (sometimes 5 or 6) login pages on them, which results in 5 or 6 separate prompts for the Master Password.

There is one thing you could do fairly simply that would help (see [1] below), but what would be really kewl is if you could find some way to implement [2]...

temporary
[1] Display the Account Name (or 'Using URL' if using the 'Defaults') on the Master Password Confirmation pop-up.

permanent
[2] When a Master Password Confirmation pop-up window is already open, 'capture' subsequent prompts 'into' the same window, displaying them in a list by either Account Name or 'Using URL (for those that are using the 'Defaults'), and then when the User enters their Master Password, PM magically uses it for all of the prompts in seccession.

Result: Now, if I open a group of tabs that has 5 login pages on it, I get only one Master Password Prompt, and only have to enter my MPW once for all 5 sites!

What do you think?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »
Hmmm... no one else ever loads up multiple tabs with logins? Or you don't mind entering your MPW for each one?

Oh well... another one for the back burner I guess... ;(

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 07:17:19 PM »
I'm running into this all the time...

I really can't believe no one else is...

Hey Tyrant - could you at least add this to the FRL - even if its one that gets tossed to the bottom of the pile, it would make me feel better knowing that someone else has at least seen it...

Thanks

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 11:28:18 PM »
I don't use bookmark folders and I don't know anyone else who does. You might be one of 5 people on the planet who use that feature :)  Reminds me of the RSS bookmarker in Firefox. Neat idea--too bad no one uses it AFAIK.

That said, #2 (the one you labeled "permanent") is next to impossible... at least for me at this point in my knowledge/skills with extension writing. As for #1:

Display the Account Name (or 'Using URL' if using the 'Defaults') on the Master Password Confirmation pop-up.
Didn't you recently promise me here that you wouldn't create a slippery slope requesting the addition of more stuff on this dialog?

But if you only want the information displayed--not editable--I'd be happy to oblige. It is related in a small way to this request. Let me know.

-Eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 01:19:56 AM »
I don't use bookmark folders and I don't know anyone else who does. You might be one of 5 people on the planet who use that feature smile.gif Reminds me of the RSS bookmarker in Firefox. Neat idea--too bad no one uses it AFAIK.
wow... it is so convenient... I couldn't browse without it...

That said, #2 (the one you labeled "permanent") is next to impossible... at least for me at this point in my knowledge/skills with extension writing.
no worries - was just asking...

As for #1:

Display the Account Name (or 'Using URL' if using the 'Defaults') on the Master Password Confirmation pop-up.

Didn't you recently promise me here that you wouldn't create a slippery slope requesting the addition of more stuff on this dialog?
<gulp> :gaah:

You're right...

But if you only want the information displayed--not editable--I'd be happy to oblige. It is related in a small way to this request. Let me know.
Definitely just displayed... and it should be optional (no need for everyone to be bothered with it if they don't need it)

:reallysad:

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 01:50:39 AM »
Chucky, chill man! We're cool.  I just don't want this to become "Charles PasswordMaker Program." In other words, when there are lots of requests which only you want, maybe we should take a look at the cost-benefit of implementing those requests. If something takes me two weeks to implement and you're the only person who wants it, how does it promote PasswordMaker when those two weeks could have been spent on something like FTP synchronization (which EVERYONE wants)?

So, anyway, it's really no big deal to display the info... it's much harder to make it editable, though. I hope you're OK with leaving it there.

Tyrantmizar, can you add this to the FRL, "Display account settings in the master password prompt"

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 01:51:33 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 01:51:11 AM »
The fact you log into enough sites to trigger many PWM prompts scare, though I do open many bookmarks at once. (Middle click is my universal open in new tab button that I use like no tomorrow.)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 01:52:03 AM »
Middle click is my universal open in new tab button that I use like no tomorrow.
Ditto.

Offline ajw

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 08:43:43 AM »
Middle click is my universal open in new tab button that I use like no tomorrow.
Ditto here too.

I also use bookmark folders all the time - I frequently have tons of tabs open relating to multiple different subjects and I want to get rid of some for now but be able to call them back later...

Just did so for Linksys router information about 5 minutes ago.

(I've currently got about 60 tabs open, in 7 or 8 different topics)

Right now I've got a bunch of tabs open for this PasswordMumbler thing; I'll bookmark 'em all so when I close down tonight I can bring 'em back up...   :)

- Al -

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 02:39:48 PM »
(I've currently got about 60 tabs open, in 7 or 8 different topics)
I thought you don't like tabs   :)

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 06:02:48 PM »
I think he means tabs with config stuff, not for browsing.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline ajw

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 07:38:21 PM »
I thought you don't like tabs
just in the right places - 60 IE browser windows is absurd; 60 tabs along the left in FireFox works just wonderfully!   (although along the top/bottom of FireFox wouldn't work very well...)

I just wouldn't want to see something like Word's options dialog - what is it, three or four rows of tabs?  yuck!

Or tabs for no reason except to group things - where you end up with 5 tabs and there's only one or two selections on each.

Actually, I like the way FireFox does its options - that seems pretty clean to me.  (although I still hunt around for things - which panel is popup control on?...   :)

- Al -

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »
60 IE browser windows is absurd; 60 tabs along the left in FireFox works just wonderfully! (although along the top/bottom of FireFox wouldn't work very well...)
I really really really wish TabMixPlus would support Tabs on the sides (or at least the left side)...

Offline ajw

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 08:16:29 PM »
I'm using (the dreaded) TabbrowserExtensions because it's the only one that puts tabs on the sides.

Mostly I like it, but I have some odd flaky behavior - not sure if it's TBE or not; I' ve installed and uninstalled a lot of extensions.  I think I really need to completely uninstall and reinstall everything to figure things out...  (more work than I want to do, so I'm living with it for now...   The big problem I have right now is meta HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" just plain doesn't work.  It does on another computer, and that also has TBE on it, so I dunno...)
(if I go to www.linksys.com I get a blank page; the refresh to the new URL never happens)

Here's three FireFox forum pages I bookmarked - they discuss changes to userChrome.css to move the tab bar to left or right.  I haven't tried it though - one other thing I like about TBE is tab groups; not sure if anyone else has that...  Gotta make a list of what features I want with tabs and see if there's lighter-weight extensions that'll do it...   some day...   :)

Tabbed browsing without the extension - MozillaZine Forums

Tab bar also placeable on the sides - MozillaZine Forums

Move the tabbar (Firefox) - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

With a wide-screen notebook, tabs on the sides are a must!

- Al -

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 08:39:33 PM »
Works ok... thanks! Now to play with the max Tab width...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 08:39:33 PM »