Author Topic: Mozilla Update  (Read 946000 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Mozilla Update
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2005, 09:55:44 PM »
Ok, updating the Home Page sounded like it would be relatively easy, but my perfectionism got in the way again...

I'm still working on it, but trying to resolve/integrate duplication of text between the Home Page and the (most excellent) Help Files. Also, a little reorganizing of the Help Files, and correcting a few typos (I'm an excellent proof-reader for docs, etc, and I'm happy to do so for anything PM related).

Anyway, this is gonna take me a little longer than I thought, but I am working on it.

Offline trephin

Mozilla Update
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2005, 11:08:04 PM »
I would suggest that you try to keep the homepage as simple as possible... the goal being to invite / entice new users... people can delve deeper for more information following links... i would not worry about duplicating information as long as it is appropriate for the homepage.  

if you are tackling editing the help files, please do check for more than typos/misspellings.... checking for grammar and clarity would be excellent... i certainly can appreciate the size of the task and commend you for taking it on
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 11:08:34 PM by trephin »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Mozilla Update
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 02:12:30 AM »
Ok, first draft, but I am ashamed to admit that my HTML skills are - well, to be blunt, they suck eggs. I have no idea how to do the columns and the Menu/Links Tree, so I ended up just doing a mock-up of the web pages in OpenOffice to make it easier for me to see what it would look like.

Below are links to 4 jpegs, representing the 4 new/different pages. The quality sucks, but I have the original in OpenDocument format, .doc format (don't know how well the OpenOffice doc will translate), or PDF if anyone cannot read the jpegs.

I borrowed heavily for the new pages from the existing pages and the Help Files. Also, I added the 'Current Version' and the link to the Support Forums up in the PM Logo, because there was no place to readily see the current version, and the Support Forums link didn't really belong in the Menu/Tree since the Forums pages do not include the Menu/Tree. This was just added as a suggestion...

I look forward to being told that my writing and graphic skills are less than adequate and I can go home now... :lol:

1. Home (Intro) Page

2. How It Works Page (more complex description)

3. Comparison Page (for the chart Tyrant and quixin are working on)

4. Portability Page

I apologize for being so presumptious as to redesign the entire site, but having the Menu/Tree on the right side always bothered me - it is not standard for a web site, and I really think we should try to keep things as simple as possible. If all you want to do is change the text, I assure you, my feelings will not be hurt...

Also, there is plenty of room, so I am showing the Trees expanded all the time - just an idea I like...

Offline trephin

Mozilla Update
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2005, 11:47:56 AM »
Excellent Draft!  The tree is nicely designed.

Page 1
2P (paragraph since I'm not hunting for the paragraph symbol): maybe have link to "risky" explaining why using the same password is risky using the previous homepage information

3P:  Perhaps Eric should come up with a name for PM... system?  souds overly complex. but the extensions/widget/online and future iterations are just different forms of the same thing.  Unless the broweser extension is the primary device.... then I would say "...is AN....extension... )."  Next sentence, say "It is also available as Kon Widget and an online version."  "an" is just capitalized to emphasize that it's "an" and not "a"

__

Page 4
Maybe Eric should setup a roadmap page... but I digress... the page is fine but I might skip the rest of the 3P from "No Aspect...." and following.  4P copuld then be added to 3P

___

I think Wallpaper and and maybe the source code should be moved to another grouping in the tree.  maybe leave the source code with the widget and extension under an install tree option

The other pages were fine at first glance.  i'll look at everything again later.

good job!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 11:52:59 AM by trephin »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Mozilla Update
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2005, 02:27:43 PM »
Excellent Draft! The tree is nicely designed.
Thanks - although really all I did was move it to the left side and expand all of the sub-links by default.

maybe have link to "risky" explaining why using the same password is risky using the previous homepage information
Yeah, I saw a lot of places for links like that, but figured they would get done in the review/coding stage (as you are doing now ;)...

3P: Perhaps Eric should come up with a name for PM... system? souds overly complex. but the extensions/widget/online and future iterations are just different forms of the same thing.
True - and after I uploaded the jpegs I though that maybe I should try to reword that part - make it clear that all of the different tools will share the same Settings, so no matter which form of the tool (or system, to use your word) you use, your settings are right there.

Unless the broweser extension is the primary device.... then I would say "...is AN....extension... )." Next sentence, say "It is also available as Kon Widget and an online version." "an" is just capitalized to emphasize that it's "an" and not "a"
The Browser extension is definitely *my* primary device, but I'm not so sure for others - I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this...

Page 4-Maybe Eric should setup a roadmap page...
Definitely thought of that, but wanted to get the first draft out there. It should be a separate section (not under the 'About' menu tree) imo...

but I digress... the page is fine but I might skip the rest of the 3P from "No Aspect...." and following. 4P copuld then be added to 3P
Yes, once I separate out the 'Roadmap' stuff from the descriptive texts, I'll do this.

I think Wallpaper and and maybe the source code should be moved to another grouping in the tree. maybe leave the source code with the widget and extension under an install tree option
Not sure what yoiu mean here - they are all 'Downloadables'... are you saying there should be an 'Install' section and a 'Other downloads' section? I think that is unnecessarily complicating things, myself...

The other pages were fine at first glance. i'll look at everything again later.
good job!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Mozilla Update
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2005, 04:18:43 PM »
1st revisions done:

1. Home (Intro) Page

2. No change

3. No change

4. Portability Page

5. RoadMap
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 06:03:41 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline trephin

Mozilla Update
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2005, 05:36:14 PM »

Not sure what yoiu mean here - they are all 'Downloadables'... are you saying there should be an 'Install' section and a 'Other downloads' section? I think that is unnecessarily complicating things, myself...
It is more a question of style... and I was being probably a bit dogmatic in my thinking...

what i was thinking was that all of the "tools" wre grouped together and the wallpaper under some other misc. section

of course, the tree sort of eliminates this since there is no single download page where you find all implementations, but rather branches from the tree

btw, the 3 updated jpegs are the same image / different names
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:36:46 PM by trephin »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Mozilla Update
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2005, 06:04:12 PM »
btw, the 3 updated jpegs are the same image / different names
ack... sorry, was in a hurry - they are fixed now...

Offline Tyrantmizar

Mozilla Update
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2005, 08:57:14 PM »
Quick post here

I'm much too busy today.  Probably tomorrow too. If someone wants to take over the comparison between various password programs, please do so.  Otherwise, don't expect it to be finished for while.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Mozilla Update
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2005, 10:32:25 PM »
Trephin--any interest?

Offline trephin

Mozilla Update
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 12:42:01 AM »
Sorry Eric.  I'll be equally busy.  And I am a Mozilla Suite user and I am also not so free to install/test/remove software on the computer I use

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Mozilla Update
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2005, 01:44:53 AM »
No prob. Thanks anyway.

Offline trephin

Mozilla Update
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2005, 02:35:50 AM »
tanstaafl

ok,

for the roadmap page... now, i think either it needs to be called something else like Future Wish List or something since I think Roadmap implies more definite plans by the developer  or eric needs to provide ETAs ... :-)

for the portability page... i still think you should just leave out the details of the planned(?) rollout of synchronization and just say that "Ongoing development will allow allow you to synchronize your setting across platforms" or something to that effect

for the homepage.... i would just add "can" to "... and can even automatically enter your  usernames..." implying that it is an option and not forced upon the user.  otherwise, i think the homepage looks good.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Mozilla Update
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2005, 12:39:44 PM »
for the roadmap page... now, i think either it needs to be called something else like Future Wish List or something since I think Roadmap implies more definite plans by the developer or eric needs to provide ETAs ... :-)
Yeah, I thought of that too... I had actually called it 'To Do', but didn't like the way it looked... wishlist however suggests something less than actual planned enhancements that is already on the dev's ToDo list...

I could just add a line at the top of the page explaining that the Roadmap is a moving target right now and no definite dates are possible - or I could change the name...

'Planned Enhancements' maybe?

Anyone else?

for the portability page... i still think you should just leave out the details of the planned(?) rollout of synchronization and just say that "Ongoing development will allow allow you to synchronize your setting across platforms" or something to that effect
I actually did that - but the thing is, that page then looks very sparse. Also, upon reflection, I realized that since Synchronization will have a MAJOR impact on the 'Portability' of PASSWORDMAKER, people who might be looking at PASSWORDMAKER would be very interested in knowing this is on the radar. Otherwise, the only way for prospective PM users to learn of it would be by digging through the Forums.

I could whittle it down some, but personally, I think it should stay. Eric? Romeo? quixin? What are your thoughts?

for the homepage.... i would just add "can" to "... and can even automatically enter your usernames..." implying that it is an option and not forced upon the user.
excellent point, thanks - and done...

Offline ajw

Mozilla Update
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 09:28:10 AM »
This is a common problem with Palm apps - when I went looking a few years ago for a password-management app, I did a search at one of the Palm-app download sites and ended with something like 70 apps to choose from - who has time to rummage through that many?

I knew I wanted certain features - a text field for notes, ability to categorize, desktop companion app, ability to modify on desktop or Palm and sync either way.  (I managed to whittle the 70 down to a handfull - most of them didn't have desktop companions - but it took time just to do that whittling)

What I really wanted to help me choose...

After the comparison table is done for PasswordMaker, how about a cgi app on the web site (and maybe referred to from PM description at Firefox extensions) that shows a list of features, allows me to check "must have" "like to have" "don't care" and it shows a list of which password apps have those features?
(better, show the whole list, but grey out the ones that fail, showing a short reason why it failed - "FooPassword - doesn't have strong security algorithms"   "BarPassword - doesn't have a desktop app"

The feature list would pretty much be the union of all features on all password apps.

This has an added benefit of reviewing web logs to see what people are putting in the "must have" list...

One problem is keeping the list up-to-date; really wouldn't be fair or ethical to compare newest PM against older other apps.  (and would probably generate a lot of nasty messages...   On the other hand, having PM "fail" because of missing must-have features generates feelings of honesty and integrity - I'm always impressed when someone says their product isn't what I'm looking for, and recommends another.)

- Al -

PasswordMaker Forums

Mozilla Update
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 09:28:10 AM »