Author Topic: One Password To Rule Them All! tm  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
One Password To Rule Them All! tm
« on: September 28, 2005, 05:15:52 AM »
Did anyone catch this article on SlashDot?

"A survey of 1700 technology end users in the United States released today reveals some interesting findings about password management habits. 'The results suggest that having to juggle multiple passwords causes users to compensate with risky security techniques and creates a drain on productivity by taxing the resources of IT support centers.' Further, corporate requirements of frequent password replacement further exacerbates the toll on human memory. Is the solution a master password, with all of the potential problems that represents, or biometrics, or are we stuck with post-it notes and a call to the help desk?"

And from the originally-quoted article, from RSA Security no less:

Respondents were queried on the impact of leveraging a "master password," which could be used to gain access to all other passwords. The overwhelming majority of respondents - 98 percent - believe that it would be important to add a layer of protection if they were provided with one master password at work - essentially, protecting the "keys to the kingdom." Tellingly, 55 percent of respondents rated adding an added layer of security as "very important."

Long live PasswordMaker! One Password To Rule Them All!

Offline quixin

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 12:05:07 PM »
This was in the "Fine Print" comments:

Password Maker
(Score:2)
by yulek (202118) on Tuesday September 27, @04:47PM (#13661591)
(http://www.popmonkey.com/ | Last Journal: Sunday December 12, @05:26AM)
i just started using PasswordMaker [passwordmaker.org] a few days ago and it's very cool. the only thing i don't like about this kind of solution is that if you somehow compromise your master password you've got to go and change ALL of your passwords.

the firefox extension for PM is very nice.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 01:16:51 PM »
Eric and Quixin, good catch.  I was just gonna say that may be someone should let them know about Eric's splendid solution to the 'problem'.

As a matter of fact, I had some thoughts along those lines last night.  I was wondering how long it would take Microsoft to get a hold of this great solution, which Eric supplies, modifies it a little bit, calls it their own and starts charging tons of money for it.

On that note, what would be the risk of that happening Eric.  I learned somewhere that if you change a few lines of code, you can call it your own.  Is that true?
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 01:16:51 PM »