Author Topic: Importing current Firefox passwords  (Read 9149 times)

Offline TopazScorpion

• Normal Members
Importing current Firefox passwords
« on: September 26, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »
Although I don't fear an "RTFM" reply, I have read the forums, FAQs, and manual but I don't see any answers.  Well, at least I don't see any answers that I like. :rolleyes:
I have been using Firefox/Mozilla for a long time and have quite an extensive password list in the native Firefox password manager.  I now want to start using PasswordMaker and would like to import all of my current passwords from Firefox into PWM.  Is there a way to do this?  The sinking feeling I have is that the answer is no, at least not directly.  I assume I have to create a new account for each of my current passwords, modify the prefix field, and change the generated password length for each of my saved passwords. Somebody please tell me there is a less mind-numbing way to do this.  :wacko:

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:24:55 PM »
As far as I know, there is no way to do this.  I'm not even sure that type of feature is feasible unless we completely crack the algorithm that protects Firefox's password manager.  

As for the second option, I would advise against it.  Currently the prefix and suffix fields are completely unprotected.  They are saved as plain text.  Don't do it if you value those passwords.

However, you can, rather easily, change your passwords so that you use the passwords that are hashed out by PWM.  Put simply:
  • Go to your site
  • Go to change your password.
  • I'm not sure, but I think Firefox will automatically put in your old password into the forms.  Usually, there are three slots: 1 slot for your current password, 2 slots for your new password.  If firefox doesn't automatically put something in, you're going to have to type it in manually.
  • Make sure the "new password" slots are clear
  • Create and account in PasswordMaker (or just use the defaults)
  • Go to the "Global Settings" tab.
  • Make sure that "When Alt` Shortcut is pressed" is set to "populate empty fields only"
  • At the 'change your password page', press Alt`  Your new password should automatically be put into the "new password' fields.
If you are changing many passwords in a single setting, and you don't want to have to re-enter your Master Password over and over, just set it to "store in memory" or "store to disk."  

Hope that helps.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 09:54:33 PM »
Excellent advice from Mr. Tyrantmizar.

TopazScorpion, you are correct there's currently no way to import directly, but I believe this can be implemented if you request it, because gecko exposes the nsiSecretDecoderRing interface. Providing you enter the correct password, PasswordMaker could probably enumerate all of your stored passwords.

However, by the time this gets implemented (assume you request it), you could have used Tyrantmizar's instructions to change all your passwords manually.

-Eric
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 09:55:16 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline TopazScorpion

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 10:09:37 PM »
Thank you for the replies.
When I mentioned the Prefix stuff, I was refering to Eric's post  http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?showtopic=389

I do not want to request this as an enhancement because I would rather see other additions such as the automatic sync via a secure FTP site, like the bookmarks extension.

I will go ahead and bite the bullet and manually convert my current ones.  I only have about 50 of them so it should only take a few sessions.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:37:58 PM »
TopazScorpion,
I will go ahead and bite the bullet and manually convert my current ones. I only have about 50 of them so it should only take a few sessions.
You made a very good decision.  Evemtually, you would decide to change them anyway, because PM offers much better security than any other extension.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline ajw

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 09:47:18 AM »
I would like to see the import from Firefox - I've got a ton of passwords in there...

But you're right, PM has better security - so how about a new feature that would fill in the old password (the imported one) and then pop up a reminder to change the password to a new high-security PM password.  (and a short note on how to do it...)

- Al -

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:14:13 PM »
I will go ahead and bite the bullet and manually convert my current ones. I only have about 50 of them so it should only take a few sessions.
Hi Topaz,

I'm gonna add this excellent tip from Romeo to the Tips & Tricks forum, but would like confirmation from you that it works as advertised - specifically, this part:

4. I'm not sure, but I think Firefox will automatically put in your old password into the forms. Usually, there are three slots: 1 slot for your current password, 2 slots for your new password. If firefox doesn't automatically put something in, you're going to have to type it in manually.
Also, any other feedback on how well it worked, or if you found a better/shorter way.

Thanks

Charles

p.s. welcome to the world of PM! pretty great, isn't it?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 08:19:37 PM »
I would like to see the import from Firefox - I've got a ton of passwords in there...

But you're right, PM has better security - so how about a new feature that would fill in the old password (the imported one) and then pop up a reminder to change the password to a new high-security PM password. (and a short note on how to do it...)
I'm not sure how I feel about this... I guess it depends on how much work it will be. There are other things I'm much more anxious to see added - mainly, one of mine (selfish, selfish) re: being able to modify the username in the Master Password Prompt window...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 08:19:37 PM »