Author Topic: The basics  (Read 6451 times)

Alfredo Augusto

The basics
« on: October 04, 2005, 08:25:40 PM »
Hi guys,

I must confess I am completly lost. Even checking the Help file I cannot start with. Yes, I see PM in my Tools header, I can choose between  "Basic or Advanced" but I do not know if I have to create a new account or not.  The "New account" button is inative.

Also, I could not find any explanation about my "old pasawords". Is there any way of keeping the old ones manually entering them so that PM can make the right association. Or, on the contrary,  I have to change the old password for new ones, those generated by PM.

It it possible to provide something like a "cake recipe" taking in consideration a real  situation?

Last but not least, English is not my mother language. I am Brazilian, so, excuse-me for some misunderstanding here and there.

Many thanks for your help...

Alfredo Augusto
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Offline trephin

The basics
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:03:34 PM »
First, tanstaafl, if you could, please move this to the help forum

Alfredo, people are working on editing the documentation on the website so hopefully things will be clearer eventually.

You don't have to create a new account;  you can use the default settings.

As for the old passwords, well, I'm not sure why you would want to keep them.  The general idea is that PasswordMaker creates new passwords for you while you just have to remember say, one Master Password.  

So, you would want to replace your old passwords for your various accounts with new passwords.

If you wish to use an old password and want to use PasswordMaker as your "password manager" then there is a workaround for that... the following is what I think it was, but you can search the forums for this or perhaps someone else can correct my errors...

...you can create a new account, make the "generated password length" the exact length of your password, and enter the password you want to keep as the "password prefix" so then PasswordMaker will now just fill in the prefix/"password"

the "password length" and "prefix" are both on the new account window which you have to create after creating a group besides the "Defaults" group
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:11:43 PM by trephin »

The basics
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 10:19:46 PM »
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I think that now I have a better understaning of the PM concepts.

All the best,

Alfredo Augusto Cruz
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
The basics
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 01:24:24 AM »
First, tanstaafl, if you could, please move this to the help forum
Done - sorry for the delay - thought I would automatically be notified of new posts to the forum I'm moderating... :ph43r:

Alfredo, people are working on editing the documentation on the website so hopefully things will be clearer eventually.

You don't have to create a new account; you can use the default settings.
And it just so happens that's one of the things I'm working on for the Help Docs - how and when to use Custom Accounts...

As for the old passwords, well, I'm not sure why you would want to keep them. The general idea is that PasswordMaker creates new passwords for you while you just have to remember say, one Master Password.

So, you would want to replace your old passwords for your various accounts with new passwords.
I strongly agree with trephin here... PM creates not just *new* passwords, but virtually *unbreakable* passwords...

If you wish to use an old password and want to use PasswordMaker as your "password manager" then there is a workaround for that... the following is what I think it was, but you can search the forums for this or perhaps someone else can correct my errors...
lol - actually, that thread was right in the forum he posted to - Tips and Tricks...

Offline trephin

The basics
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 02:22:03 AM »
Maybe for Alfredo and anyone else...

tanstaafl, the reason why you want to use accounts would be

a) when you have more than one username for a specific URL, ie 2 yahoo addresses

and

b) when you want to specify settings different from the defaults

any other reasons?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 02:24:06 AM by trephin »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
The basics
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 11:32:36 AM »
yes, the two reasons you gave are about the only ones - I just want to make it as clear as possible, and provide a few real world examples - also, I'm going through the entire HelpDocs and it takes time, and I'm a bit busy right now so I may not be done with them until this weekend... hmmm... actually, this probably qualifies as a 'Tips & Tricks' post... I'll go add one in a minute...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
The basics
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 12:03:13 AM »
Hi tanstaafl,

Done - sorry for the delay - thought I would automatically be notified of new posts to the forum I'm moderating...
You can set this up. Go into the index of the forum for which you want notifications (e.g., here and click the "Subscribe to this forum" link in the lower-right of the page. Too bad you have to do it for every forum you want to watch, which for me is all of them :(

PasswordMaker Forums

The basics
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 12:03:13 AM »