Author Topic: Wrong generated passwords 0.8.5  (Read 28081 times)

Wrong generated passwords 0.8.5
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 08:33:52 PM »
It works!!!!

I tried a fresh install as suggested:

1. Uninstall PasswordMaker (0.8.2 in my case)
2. Manually edit the profile file prefs.js and remove ALL *.passwordmaker.* lines.
3. Install PasswordMaker 0.8.7 xpi
4. Edit PasswordMaker settings to match your old settings (Ctrl+` fails too, use the menu Tools->PasswordMaker)
5. It WORKS!!!

Strange bug, guys. If you simply upgrade or unistall/reinstall without editing the profile, it fails.

Alt+` issue:

I noticed that if you press Alt+` TWICE in the password field (yahoo mail), then the PasswordMaker dialog finally pops. One pressing has no effect.

Thank you very much!!! PasswordMaker is a great extension!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 08:36:34 PM »
When I say "prompted twice" I mean password confirmation, not two popups.

f

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 08:37:27 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to enter my name in the 2 previous posts

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 11:28:30 PM »
The ALT-` shortcut doesn't seem to work on planet-save.com for some reason... don't know if this is somehow related (don't see how really)...
This site has their login page in a frame. ALT-` used to work with frames, but it appears that I removed that code. I'll put it back in.

I noticed that if you press Alt+` TWICE in the password field (yahoo mail), then the PasswordMaker dialog finally pops. One pressing has no effect.
I can't reproduce this. Do you mean Ctrl-`?

Are those the only issues here, or am I missing one?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 01:12:27 AM »
This site has their login page in a frame. ALT-` used to work with frames, but it appears that I removed that code. I'll put it back in.
Ahh... ok, that explains it... hopefully there wasn't a good reason you removed it in the first place...

I can't reproduce this. Do you mean Ctrl-`?
I'm not sure what f is talking about here... the planet-save.com site is the first time I've encountered one where ALT-` didn't work - Yahoo has always worked for me, and still does... but the PM window opens right up for me, so not sure where this other problem is coming from...

. Edit PasswordMaker settings to match your old settings (Ctrl+` fails too,
f - above you said Ctrl, but later you said Alt... are you sure we're talking about the same keys? You had asked me whether I was using the 'keycode' instead of the 'ascii' code - but I'm not sure I understand why you're asking me that - I am simply hitting the key combination (the ALT key and the ' key (ascii code 96)) on my keyboard. By the way, just to be sure - the ' key is ascii code 96, NOT code 39 - and that is the key I'm pressing.

Hmmm... I just thought of and tried one last thing, and was actually able to reproduce (once) what you described (having to hit the keys twice in succession before the dialog came up)... you're not by any chance hitting THREE keys are you? When I tried hitting the [ALT], the [-], and the [`] keys all three at the same time, I noticed what you described, but it wasn't consistent...

Last dumb question, but maybe the ALT key you are using is bad? Did you try the other one?

Also - do you remember what version of PM you staretd with (the first version you installed)?

Strange bug, guys. If you simply upgrade or unistall/reinstall without editing the profile, it fails.
I'm not convinced this is a bug... I have been using PM since 0.51, and I have never had to edit anything in my profile - although, that said, out of habit, I *always* uninstall something before installing a new version - it just seems cleaner to me - so, I guess it is possible it is a bug related to installing a new version on top of an older one...

Eric? At least we know the version he started having problems with (0.82). Maybe tomorrow I can play with this and see if I can reproduce it - if I do, I'll post the steps for you...

Anyway, f, as for the ALT-` problem, it sounds to me like you may either have a bad key, or maybe another extension that is conflicting... any chance you could post your list of installed extensions?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. The only reason I'm trying so hard on this is I don't like the idea of a bug in this, my favorite and oh-so-critical program...  :police:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 01:26:44 AM by tanstaafl »

f

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 07:10:30 AM »
Hi,

Alt-` to populate password field: I tried in another PC (W2K SP4) with another keyboard and it must be pressed TWICE again to pop-up the password dialog to enter my master password. So my Alt key is OK. It happens in every domain I tried.

Ctrl+` to open the options dialog: it doesn't work. It only opens through the "Tools->PasswordMaker" menu.

It seems there's a problem with non US keyboards and the ` key.

Installed extensions:

PasswordMaker 0.8.7 ;)
vbrowseit 1.0
Tabbrowser Preferences 1.2.7.1
IE View 1.2.5
Resize Search Box 0.0.5
Adblock
Flashblock 1.2.9
Disable Targets For Downloads 1.0

I think I started to use PasswordMaker since version 0.7

Hope it helps.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 12:20:26 PM »
It seems there's a problem with non US keyboards and the ` key.
For some reason I blocked this part...

Yes, this makes sense. Guess we'll have to wait until Eric can take a look. Could be a source of other problems too, so I'm sure he'll look closely at it...

Thanks for being so patient, and willing to work through this problem with us... it will only make PASSWORDMAKER better in the end.

Lastly, just for clarity sake, this thread is discussing two different issues:

1) There is apparently some set of circumstances stemming from upgrading PASSWORDMAKER from versions older than 0.82 that can result in different passwords being generated by the right-click/populate and 'Copy to Clipboard' methods.

If you run into this problem, the fix is to:
  • Carefully write down ALL of your Pssswordmaker Settings, both for your Defaults, and for any Custom Accounts you created (failure to do this could result in having to change the passwords for these Accounts)
  • Uninstall PasswordMaker
  • Manually edit the prefs.js file located in your FireFox Profile folder and remove ALL *.passwordmaker.* lines.
  • Install latest version of PasswordMaker
  • Carefully edit PasswordMaker settings to match your old settings
2) There is also apparently a problem with the Spanish, and possibly other non-us keyboard layouts, and the use of the ALT-` and CTRL-` key combinations (most likely the problem is just with the ` key), though this has not been confirmed. Until it has, if you are using a non-us keyboard layout, it would be appreciated if you would report whether or not you are having any problems in the new thread created to track this issue.

Offline Rick Bull

• Normal Members
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 01:10:01 PM »
I think following f's advice has cured the problem for me too. I'm having trouble logging in to some sites now, but I think that's because I changed my password to the erroneous one that PasswordMaker geneated, so I'll have to figure that out myself!

PasswordMaker seems to be generating the same passwords whichever way I do it now, so I think it must just have been some bad prefs. I thought after I edited my prefs.js file, that I should have made a note of them first, in case it helped you guys to figure out what the problem was. Too late now though; sorry!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 02:06:39 PM »
Hi Rick,

Ok, great to hear that the suggested fix worked for you too.

Now, I'm gonna spend some time to try to nail down when/where it happens so Eric can determine the source of the problem and provide a fix.

f

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 02:27:34 PM »
Thanks for being so patient, and willing to work through this problem with us... it will only make PASSWORDMAKER better in the end.

You're welcome!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 05:59:31 PM »
F,
Would you be willing to install the KeyConfig extension and map Ctrl-` and Alt-` to different keys on your Spanish keyboard? I don't have access to Spanish Windows and a Spanish keyboard else I'd do it myself. I'd like to know if the shortcuts work for you (only pressing them ONCE) after re-mapping with KeyConfig.

Thank you,
Eric

f

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 08:11:32 PM »
Sure!

I tried and it works perfectly:

Alt-`changed to Alt-9
Ctrl+`changed to Ctrl+9

(9 in the numbers row, not in the numeric keypad)

I found an interesting thing:

In the spanish keyboard, the "`" key is shared with "^" (shift) and "[" (AltGr). When I tried to configure back to Ctrl+`, keyconfig displays Ctrl+[ instead of Ctrl+`, but this mapping works!!! It seems that Ctrl+` maps to Ctrl+[ in the spanish layout.

On the other way, Alt-` displays Alt-`, but again, it must be pressed twice and it displays TWO password prompts: one normal sized and another "maximized".

Hope it helps.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 08:31:14 PM »
In the spanish keyboard, the "`" key is shared with "^" (shift) and "[" (AltGr).
Strange - no keys on full-sized, standard US-English keyboards share 3 characters. The only exception to this which I know about are smaller-sized notebook/laptop keyboards where there is a "function" key. Keys which use the function key often have 3 meanings or characters.

On the other way, Alt-` displays Alt-`, but again, it must be pressed twice and it displays TWO password prompts: one normal sized and another "maximized".
Can you show a screen picture of this? You can host images at image shack for free since these forums don't support images directly.

f

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 01:19:41 PM »
Done!

Not sure if it was uploaded correctly, because web page hung. Filename is "AltTwice.png"

I can send it by email if not correctly posted.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 01:22:20 PM »
Hi,

Filename is "AltTwice.png"
I need a URL to view it. After you upload the image, imageshack shows you the URL to access it. If their web page hung, you didn't get to see this... :(

Can you try again... or send by PM or email, that's fine.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:22:39 PM by Eric H. Jung »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 01:22:20 PM »