Author Topic: Wrong generated passwords 0.8.5  (Read 28069 times)

f

Wrong generated passwords 0.8.5
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:46:36 AM »
Password generation bug introduced in version 0.8.2 bug persists in version 0.8.5

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:46:30 AM »
Hi,

Can you be more specific? Which bug? There were 2 or 3 that Eric was working on and I believe he believes he got them all. How can we reproduce the bug?

Thanks for your feedback...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:33:10 PM »
Yes, need more info... which hash, for instance?

f

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:15:04 PM »
* Right click on password field -> Populate with PasswordMaker fails to generate the correct password

* Tools->PasswordMaker generates the correct password and "Copy generated password to clipboard" also generates the correct password.

* Using default settings (MD5, no leet) and 8 character password length

* Same problem with versions 0.8.3 to 0.8.6, running Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4 (firefox 1.0.6 es-ES)

* Sample domains: GMail, Yahoo mail... but it fails with ALL domains I tried.

Thank you

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 09:32:55 PM »
Have you made sure that your URL to match is not gmail.google.com (or mail.google.com)?  For security, google redirects you to https://www.google.com/...  

mail.yahoo.com sometimes goes to login.yahoo.com
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 09:33:29 PM by Tyrantmizar »
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

f

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 02:52:45 PM »
Sure, domain only (google.com and yahoo.com)

f

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 03:00:23 PM »
Well, 0.8.7 fails too

Sample URL:

http://edit.europe.yahoo.com/config/login?...mail.yahoo.com/

PasswordMaker uses yahoo.com as URL. 0.8.2 runs fine, 0.8.3 to 0.8.7 fail

Offline Rick Bull

• Normal Members
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 10:36:49 PM »
Hi, I get this same error too, which I found was introduced a few versions back (probably version 0.8.2, as f stated). A couple of sites I find this occurs on are:
  • Planet-Save
  • Family Affairs forum (you'll need to click the forum link, and log-in at the side, making sure to click the "login" button rather than pressing enter on your keyboard)
I have the following settings:
  • l33t: before & after
  • l33t level: 1
  • Algorithmt: MD5
  • Length: 12
  • Characters: 0123456789abcdef
  • URL components: domain
I get the same thing as f: fine if I use the "copy password to clipboard" function, but not with "populate...". For me this is quite a serious problem, and I'm thinking of going back to using my normal password, but I'd prefer not to, and am prepared to help more if you need it.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 11:52:09 PM »
I haven't been able to reproduce this on my end... and I just created a new account at Planet-Save and entered one password using the right-click > populate, and the other with the 'Copy to Clipboard'.

One thing I did remember when doing this that you may not have noticed...

When you use the 'Copy to Clipboard', you have to open the PM Settings...

What you may be missing is, there is already a password generated, and you *can* copy it to the clipboard - WITHOUT ENTERING YOUR MASTER PASSWORD - but if you do this, the password will be different than the one that gets populated from the right-click, because it prompts you for your Master Password. I actually ran into this myself when I first tried to use PM...

If this isn't the problem, have you guys tried testing with a clean profile and fresh install of the PM extension?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 06:26:01 AM »
I only just saw this revived thread now (from Sep 26 until today). Sorry about that. I will look into it tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it, but if tanstaafl can't, it's likely that I won't be able to, either.

Will repost after I have more info...

-Eric
edit: if anyone else can help me recreate this bug reliably, I would greatly appreciate it. It is quite major.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 06:35:15 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Rick Bull

• Normal Members
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 09:16:44 AM »
When you use the 'Copy to Clipboard', you have to open the PM Settings...

What you may be missing is, there is already a password generated, and you *can* copy it to the clipboard - WITHOUT ENTERING YOUR MASTER PASSWORD - but if you do this, the password will be different than the one that gets populated from the right-click, because it prompts you for your Master Password. I actually ran into this myself when I first tried to use PM...
I definitely re-entered the password in the dialog, so it wasn't that.

Also, I recently changed my password on Planet-Save back to my normal password, and then back to the PasswordMaker-generated one, and it seems to work on the log-in page now. So could it just be that the characters used have changed from the pre-0.8.2 version?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 10:44:02 AM »
Depends - there was a change from 0.6 > 0.7, and then Eric added some Pre-set character sets you could choose from. I also seem to recall a one-time issue with an extra zero in the default character set in 0.7...

But... this shouldn't really be an issue - your problem is you are getting different results with an account that is using the *same* settings, just invoking PM differently, right?

What version did you recently upgrade from?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:20:26 AM by tanstaafl »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 11:15:13 AM »
Something else I just noticed...

The ALT-` shortcut doesn't seem to work on planet-save.com for some reason... don't know if this is somehow related (don't see how really)...

f

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 08:05:38 PM »
Hi!

When I use the right click menu "Populate With PasswordMaker", I'm prompted to enter the master password twice (Do not store master password) and fails. When I use the "Copy to clipboard", first I enter my master password and runs fine.

Settings:

Firefox 1.0.7 es-ES, Windows XP SP2

Use l33t: Not at all
Hash: MD5
Password length: 8
Characters: 0123456789abcdef
URL: domain
No autopopulate, no prefix, no suffix

Alt+` doesn't work. I'm using an spanish keyboard, where the "`" key is next to the "P" key (maybe are you using the keycode instead of the ASCII code?)

Good luck

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 08:19:16 PM »
When I use the right click menu "Populate With PasswordMaker", I'm prompted to enter the master password twice (Do not store master password) and fails. When I use the "Copy to clipboard", first I enter my master password and runs fine.
Just to be clear - when you say are *prompted* to enter your Master PAssword twice - do you mean there are two boxes on the Master Password prompt window and you have to enter it twice? Or do you actually get two, separate Master Password pop-up prompts?

Alt+` doesn't work.
I know - but my point was, it *should* work... Eric?

I'm using an spanish keyboard, where the "`" key is next to the "P" key (maybe are you using the keycode instead of the ASCII code?)
Nope, just using regular US standard keyboard with the "'" key in the upper left corner (beneath the Esc key).

Weird...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 12:25:02 AM by tanstaafl »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 08:19:16 PM »