Firefox/SeaMonkey/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock Browser Extension > Tips And Tricks

Tips & Tricks - the short list

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eric H. Jung:

--- Quote ---is this more secure than the original workaround?
--- End quote ---
Yes, because the password is stored encrypted in the settings file. Password prefixes and suffixes aren't encrypted.

tanstaafl:

--- Quote from: Eric H. Jung ---Yes, because the password is stored encrypted in the settings file. Password prefixes and suffixes aren't encrypted.
--- End quote ---
Hmmm... at first reading, I thought you were saying that the .RDF file was now encrypted, but I guess that is not the case...

Personally, Eric, I think you could eliminate a lot of confusion, and set the stage for some functionality that has been discussed previously, if you added a new field for an Account: 'Current Password'. PWM would then just use this password unless/until you changed it to one generated by PWM. It would fit quite nicely next to (to the right of) the 'Username' field in the Advanced Settings - the Username field really doesn't need to be that long does it?

You could then simply (I know, I know - its easy for ME to say 'simply', since I don't have to write the code   ) add a new right-click choice - 'Populate with Current Password' (or 'Old Password'? or 'Original Password'?).

Then, just a few more lines of code (ducks as Eric executes a beautiful reverse round-house), and you can add a new PWM function: 'Change Password'. This new function can be used to not only change from your old passwords to ones generated by PWM, but it could also be used when changing passwords, for example, when you have selected to be reminded/prompted to change your password (once that ability is added).

<whew>

Ok, I survived that burst of keyboard activity - hope you did too Eric...

Should I add that as a FR? Or is it over the top?

--- Quote from: Eric H. Jung ---Hi,

Can we update (1), (2), and (3)? There're not really necessary anymore because:

1. PasswordMaker support FTP natively now
2. PasswordMaker supports user-defined passwords as of version 1.5, and even stores them encrypted (unlike the tip/trick posted here)
3. There is a command-line version for windows and *nix now.

Thanks,
Eric
p.s. I think just striking through (like this) the tip/trick with a reason why would be sufficient--no need to delete them!
--- End quote ---
Done...

But, without me spending an hour or two trying to figure out when each of these was done, can you give me an estimate? I already made the changes, but need to fill in these missing bits...

Eric H. Jung:

--- Quote ---if you added a new field for an Account: 'Current Password'. PWM would then just use this password unless/until you changed it to one generated by PWM. It would fit quite nicely next to (to the right of) the 'Username' field in the Advanced Settings - the Username field really doesn't need to be that long does it?
--- End quote ---
Excellent idea. Please add to the FRL. Shouldn't be difficult to do.

--- Quote ---and you can add a new PWM function: 'Change Password'. This new function can be used to not only change from your old passwords to ones generated by PWM, but it could also be used when changing passwords, for example, when you have selected to be reminded/prompted to change your password (once that ability is added).
--- End quote ---
I don't really understand this.

--- Quote ---But, without me spending an hour or two trying to figure out when each of these was done, can you give me an estimate? I already made the changes, but need to fill in these missing bits
--- End quote ---
I'll need to thumb through all the release notes and get back to you.

Thanks,
Eric

tanstaafl:

--- Quote from: Eric H. Jung ---Excellent idea. Please add to the FRL. Shouldn't be difficult to do.
--- End quote ---
Done...

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---and you can add a new PWM function: 'Change Password'. This new function can be used to not only change from your old passwords to ones generated by PWM, but it could also be used when changing passwords, for example, when you have selected to be reminded/prompted to change your password (once that ability is added).
--- End quote ---
I don't really understand this.
--- End quote ---
I know - I haven't actually created the request yet, and although this functionality has been discussed casually a few times, there has not been anything real specific requested or detailed. I'm working on that though.

--- Quote ---I'll need to thumb through all the release notes and get back to you.

Thanks,
Eric

--- End quote ---
Aargh - don't do that... I can do that myself. I just thought maybe you could give me some guestimates. I'll take care of it.

LkonKbd:

Tanstaafl,

Ref: http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?...t&p=1277759

And I thought I was long winded and rambling, BAG!!  Good idea, I have copied and saved this page so I can study what is being discussed here.  Maybe later on I can have some Longer winded input, if that will HELP!! any.

Edited by LkonKbd> 9/24/06 1124Hrs.

"Tanstaafl,"

#1. "It would fit quite nicely next to (to the right of) the 'Username' field in the Advanced Settings - the Username field really doesn't need to be that long does it?"

You must be referencing "PasswordMaker Account-Specific Settings"/Tab "Extended"/"UserName".

#2. ". . . 'Populate with Current Password' (or 'Old Password'? or 'Original Password'?)."

Or add a field to Copy/Paste the password you are using at this time to be encrypted.

#3. " . . . and you can add a new PWM function: 'Change Password'."

This function would be NOT needed and it will NOT really change the PW on the site until you go in and DO IT!!

#4. " . . .QUOTE(tanstaafl)
if you added a new field for an Account: 'Current Password'. PWM would then just use this password unless/until you changed it to one generated by PWM."

This ability is presently here, to create a PW Copy/Paste to the field mentioned in #2. above.

Just some suggetions or thoughts from a thoughtless person.

Thank you for reading my post,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version