Firefox/SeaMonkey/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock Browser Extension > Tips And Tricks

How to make PWM save a custom password.

<< < (5/5)

tanstaafl:

--- Quote from: meganox on October 27, 2008, 10:44:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: tanstaafl on October 25, 2008, 03:22:32 PM ---If you want to save a 'current' password, use the 'Advanced Auto-Populate' tab, and save it there in a 'password' field type - this WILL be encrypted. Be aware though that only fields of type 'password' are encrypted, OTHER field types are not. I think Eric agrees that this is a shortcoming, but once the RDF file itself is capable of being encrypted, it will render this shortcoming moot.

--- End quote ---

But it is not currently protected by the master password, i.e. it is auto-filled regardless, I hope this will be fixed when the rdf file gets encrypted.
--- End quote ---

I don't save any passwords this way, but I don't think it populates it if you have saved the Master Password Hash - does it? If it does, then I think that certainly is a bug...

Miquel 'Fire' Burns:
I believe if it's not controlled by the master password, it's populated.

meganox:

--- Quote from: Miquel 'Fire' Burns on October 27, 2008, 12:51:48 PM ---I believe if it's not controlled by the master password, it's populated.

--- End quote ---

You are prompted for the master password but if you press cancel it fills in the password anyway, however Eric knows about this bug.  I'm thinking if the whole rdf is encrypted the master password will be necessary to get any data whatsoever onto the page.  I GPG encrypt my rdf when I take my laptop on the road and will set up encrypted partitions next time I reinstall my OS, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Eric H. Jung:
I'm not particularly interested in encyrpting the RDF anymore since we've been recommending the use of TrueCrypt. Is there something I'm missing?

tanstaafl:

--- Quote from: Eric H. Jung on October 29, 2008, 11:47:58 PM ---I'm not particularly interested in encyrpting the RDF anymore since we've been recommending the use of TrueCrypt. Is there something I'm missing?
--- End quote ---
Maybe the fact that grandma probably isn't intereste din using Truecrypt, and I'm not interested in having to force her to in order to be able to protet her RDF file.

I think pwm should be capable of encrypting the RDF file itself, and not force you to rely on a third party application to protect its settings.

Just mho...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version