Author Topic: 0.8 Enhanced context menu  (Read 25876 times)

Offline quixin

0.8 Enhanced context menu
« on: September 11, 2005, 08:38:26 PM »
I just ran across this in 0.8:

I think this is a great enhancement as I prefer this manual way over the auto-populate.  I had one comment though.  To use it, I have to click on both the username field and the password field separately,  Can you make PasswordMaker populate both fields simultaneously by choosing the context menu item once?

Also before 0.8, I would only find this context menu item in a password field.  Now it appears in any field that information is entered.  The BugMeNot extension we spoke about earlier always did this same thing.  I believe an update was issued of that extension recently that stopped this behavior.

Thanks!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 09:19:37 PM »
Hi quixin,

To use it, I have to click on both the username field and the password field separately, Can you make PasswordMaker populate both fields simultaneously by choosing the context menu item once?
You can use ALT-` in the current release to populate both in one shot. However, I can add another global setting for this in the next release, if you want one. Let me know.

The BugMeNot extension we spoke about earlier always did this same thing. I believe an update was issued of that extension recently that stopped this behavior
I was going to do this, too, but as soon as PasswordMaker is able to populate any field, I'd have to change it so it appears in all editboxes. Does that make sense?

-Eric

Offline quixin

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 09:25:54 PM »
You can use ALT-` in the current release to populate both in one shot. However, I can add another global setting for this in the next release, if you want one. Let me know.
 I had not tried the hotkey yet but that sounds goods.  I must admit I find myself not wanting to reach for the keyboard sometimes when logging into a site.  Much the same way I have a remote control for my CD player in my car.  Yes I know, quite lazy.   :clown:

I'd have to change it so it appears in all editboxes. Does that make sense?
Yes, makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 09:38:31 PM by quixin »

Offline Romeo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 09:34:28 PM »
However, I can add another global setting for this in the next release, if you want one. Let me know.
Yes, we talked about that earlier.  I would definately like it, if you could either add an option to populate both fields, or have one option in the context menu that populates both or the one in question, depending on you global settings.  The Alt-' doesn't seem to work for me.  May be because I don't quite understand the keyboard sequence.  Do you press ' while you hold the alt key, or do you press -' while you hold the alt key?
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline quixin

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 09:37:41 PM »
The alt-` hotkey worked for me just fine.  I placed my cursor in the Username field, hold down alt and press `.  Both fields were then populate.  Magnificent!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 09:40:03 PM by quixin »

Offline Romeo

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 09:47:13 PM »
Yes indeed, I tried alt-', as opposed to alt-` ! - duh

And now it works just fine.  I guess I'll have to point that out in the manual, because it's hard to tell the difference between the too.    :D

Thanks a lot.

Offline quixin

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »
Yes indeed, I tried alt-', as opposed to alt-` ! - duh
 heh  :)  When I first used PasswordMaker, I had a problem distinguishing between ctrl-` and alt-`.  I was trying to populate the password field with ctrl-` and kept getting irritated that it only opened the PasswordMaker box.  It wasn't until it finally dawned on my that the I had been reading alt-` as ctrl-`.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 10:03:11 PM »
It wasn't until it finally dawned on my that the I had been reading alt-` as ctrl-`.
Good to know that I'm not the only one.

BTW, you do not even need to be focused on the username or password fields.  I just tried it and it works just fine without the focus on any of these fields.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 10:19:33 PM »
So which would you guys like -- another context-menu item or a global setting which toggles the single context-menu item. My preference is for the global setting because I know some people get peeved when their context menu starts to grow and grow and grow and grow from all the extensions they've installed :)

Offline quixin

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 10:24:20 PM »
Defenently the global setting.  The context item should work just like the alt-` hotkey.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 10:45:06 PM »
I agree, the global settings would be great.  I suppose you'll have an otption here saying either populate individually, ot all fields simultaneously by select PM on the context menu, correct ?
I know some people get peeved when their context menu starts to grow and grow
How true, how true. before I changed computers with my wife, mine was humonguos.  Now I try to keep it small.  I hadn't yhought about it from this angle, but that's why they call you the master of all passwords.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »
My request for "Toolbar Icon for Alt`" discussed here would do the same thing, no? Or even better, no right-click necessary, just one click on the icon.

;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 04:58:14 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 05:20:36 AM »
Hi,

I was going to start working on this (it's still got 1 vote in the FRL where it's listed as Global setting for enhanced context-menu population). Re-reading the thread, though, I'd to know if all of you think this is still necessary.

The context-menu items have changed quite a bit since this conversation. We now have a "PasswordMaker submenu" in the context-menu to keep from cluttering the main context-menu. So I don't think an option to toggle between a simple/enhanced context-menu is necessary anymore.

The other request that was in this thread is "Can you make PasswordMaker populate both fields simultaneously by choosing the context menu item once?" That's been achieved already with the CoolKey context-menu item, so long as you configure it to "Populate All Fields".

Since Tyrantmizar voted for this in the FRL, I'm specifically looking for his feedback. Do you still want these features? If so, which one? But I'd also like everyone else's feedback. If you're satisfied with the way things are, perhaps we can move this to the "Complete Features" section since CoolKey does what you want?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 06:54:16 AM »
I'm fine with it the way it is...

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 01:56:41 AM »
Looking through the list, I see I did vote for this.  But I don't remember why.

I agree that this request is rather irrelevant.

Though I would like it if you added an option to turn off the context menu.  It gets rather cluttered with a half a dozen other extensions.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 01:56:41 AM »