Author Topic: Prompt to change password  (Read 36260 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Prompt to change password
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 06:04:58 AM »
I like this new guy, LkonKbd :wub:

David

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 06:43:52 AM »
OK. I understand. You are all correct.

My thoughts exactly  ;)

Could "Counter" be renamed (maybe "Modifier")? It sounds like it's for counting something, when really, given the explanation, it's not.

Or at least could the Help be made more clear on the field's purpose?

(I'll get around to registering some day perhaps, for now I'm liking the redish name)

LkonKbd

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 11:54:48 AM »
"Eric",

Thank you, now your breaktime is over, get back to work.

"David",

You are so ver correct on the HELP issue, because; there is not really any HELP in there on this point and a few others.

You, Eric and Tyrantmizar, must understand that when you write the HELP for your Progy the users that will be using it are very DUMMYized when it comes to your progy.  There will be some like myself that do not understand how some of the terms are used and put our own understanding in place of what you really mean.  David's idea is a very good example of what I am getting at.  You are very close to this program and know the little ins & outs and what is really meant, we do not.  Unless you are very into programming and maybe even into security and the different methods of encrypting.  I for one am not either one, just a very lost user in most cases.  Would be very happy to assist in some of the ßeta testing, if only I knew what I was doing and understood more of what is really needed.  Maybe some day "BAM" it will come to me and then this will all be done and gone, I will just be awakening to the needs.

Enough, Get back to work, BREAKTIME is over, (BAG!!)

LkonKbd

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 12:02:01 PM »
Excuse me ALL,

I neglected to include this one point, A VERY LARGE THANK YOU, to each of you for creating this very important program.

And to all of the others, USERS, that are posting in here to assist in any way you can.  You do not really understand the impact you have when you bring up some of the questions that are here and the enlightenment you are adding to the functionality of this software plus the awakening you are creating for those of us in the dark.

If I used (barf, cough, hack) 'html' this THANK YOU would be larger and a little brighter to accent it more so.

Keep up the GREAT work,

CU L8R,

Offline Romeo

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 04:10:20 PM »
Thanks David, I'll certainly do that in the upgrade version of the manual, or do you think I should fix it now?

P.S. It's done, take a look at it.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

LkonKbd

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 06:31:27 PM »
Thanks David, I'll certainly do that in the upgrade version of the manual, or do you think I should fix it now?

"Romeo,"

I for one will thank you for this rapid response to this need.

One question though, this will effect the hashing or encrypting of that password, but; will it actually change the password as required by some sites?  Usually when the password is changed there is the requirement that it be entered twice (2x) to insure the password is what the user is wanting and they know what it really is.  PWM is even masking our passwords where we do not even see what it really is.  Or is there a method of showing us what our passwords are, just incase there is a system crash and the only resolution is to reformat or reinstall of Windows and our copy of PWM and all of our passwords would be lost.

Excuse me for now I have not finished my reading of all of the HELPs or using PWM yet.  So this is just a question that may have an answer in the HELP file and I just have not gotten there.

TIA,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 06:54:27 PM »
Hi LkonKbd (a.k.a 'D'),

PWM is even masking our passwords where we do not even see what it really is. Or is there a method of showing us what our passwords are, just incase there is a system crash and the only resolution is to reformat or reinstall of Windows and our copy of PWM and all of our passwords would be lost.

Excuse me for now I have not finished my reading of all of the HELPs or using PWM yet. So this is just a question that may have an answer in the HELP file and I just have not gotten there.
Although there are many ways to populate password fields with PasswordMaker (right-click on the field->Populate With PasswordMaker, ALT`, etc...), if you want to see the generated passwords go to: Advanced Settings->Global Settings tab->uncheck Mask Generated Password.

Excuse me for now I have not finished my reading of all of the HELPs or using PWM yet. So this is just a question that may have an answer in the HELP file and I just have not gotten there.
Yes, I think this is covered in the Help Manual, but that's OK... we are here to help, too :)
-Eric
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 06:55:01 PM by Eric H. Jung »

David

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 09:14:56 PM »

P.S. It's done, take a look at it.
Looks great Romeo!

Wasn't sure about the doubled "character," but much easier to understand-thanks!!

"This is a place where you can put a character(s) character for sites"

Anybody got a comment on changing the field name ("Counter"-->something else)?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 10:15:14 PM »
Hi David,

Anybody got a comment on changing the field name ("Counter"-->something else)?
Yes. I think this is an excellent suggestion and should be added to the Feature Request List (FRL). No one needs bother to vote for it because it takes 10 seconds to change.

Tyrantmizar: can you add it to the FRL?

I like the name "modifier" that you came up with. Does anyone have other naming suggetions?

-Eric

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 10:30:07 PM »
It is already added as "Set a prompt to change passwords"
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

David

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 02:04:42 AM »
Tyrantmizar, the name change is/should be a separate item, I think is what he's saying.

LkonKbd

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 08:08:06 AM »
Excuse me for entering into this discussion, but; the suggestion by David and supported by Eric of "Modifier" is a great idea.  That is what that field is for and will do.

That is my vote.

Do not missunderstand my critisizim of your wording of the HELP files, it is intended to help you understand from our point of view.  Hopefully it will filter down to us and HELP us later.

Thank you,
CU L8R,

LkonKbd

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 10:50:10 PM »
The Government recommends 180 days for their systems, with this system that could be set to 1.5 life times.

My vote for this one is #4,

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 08:23:54 PM »
Hi Romeo,

With your permission, I'd like to update your FR for the ability to schedule a prompt for a Password Change. This capability actually ties in with a couple of other FR's I'm working on, and so I'm trying to coordinate them all and consolidate them into some kind of organized, logical progression. I hope you don't mind. Basically, I'm just being a bit more specific, and suggesting a few pre-defined options, as well as the requested 'x days'.

This modified FR requires that the new Add New 'Current Account Password' field requested here be added and working (PWM uses this password ONLY if this field is NOT EMPTY).

Modified Feature Request:

Add the ability to schedule a prompt for a password change. For example, if your bank requires you to change passwords every month - or if you just WANT to change your password every so often, you can schedule a reminder/prompt on an individual Account basis.

Suggested pre-defined options:

a. Every x days.
b. Every DayName (weekly)
c. Every DayOfMonth (monthly)
d. Every DayOfMonth (quarterly, or every 3 months)
e. Every DayOfMonth (bi-yearly, or every 6 months)
f. Every DayOfMonth (yearly)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 08:47:57 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Romeo

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »
tanstaafl, that's not a problem at all.  Actually, it's been so long since I requested this one that I didn't even remember it.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »