Author Topic: Simply won't work  (Read 9927 times)

guestamundo (guest)

Simply won't work
« on: September 01, 2005, 07:27:50 PM »
Here's the deal: I run FF 1.0.6 under Win98SE. Everything is fine. Unless you consider:

1. I am writing this post from within IE6 -- the "New Topic" button would not appear under FF no matter what Javascript settings I used. This does not bode well for PasswordMaker, and/or may explain

2. the fact that, on my test site at least (www.ureach.com, a freemail provider) although the PM extension generated a consistent, repeatable password within its own windows, and allowed me to use that generated password as the new one in my account, I was unable to log back in to that account using PM, even though the generated password was repeated and identical.

I do not know if this behavior is

3. PM's fault
4. ureach.com's fault
5. my javascript settings fault
6. some other system fault at my end

But if anyone has/wants to set up a ureach.com freecount, and can get the PM extension to work, I'd love to know about it. Unless and until, another freeware app (like RoboForm, which free version works perfectly) will have to do.

:wacko:

Offline quixin

Simply won't work
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 07:48:44 PM »
I setup a free uOrganize Limited account at uReach.com with a PASSWORDMAKER password with no problem.

I created a new account in PASSWORDMAKER with the following settings:

Use l33t - Before and after generating password
l33t Level - 5
Hash Algorithm - SHA-256
URL - ureach.com
Length of Generated Password - 12
Username - quixin
Counter -
Characters - default

I was able to login to the front page using the alt-` hotkey.

Guestamundo (guest)

Simply won't work
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 08:10:13 PM »
Humbug. I will try reinstalling PM extension and re-running on uReach. However, a few interesting things in the interim:

1. On my uReach account at least, password must be between 6-10 characters, not 12 as you indicate

2. I have tried, and failed, to get a few other password managers to work on that site; I am beginning to think the problem lies in apps which use copy-to-clipboard-then-paste functions -- eg, PM does not work, PINs does not work, but Roboform does (I believe it bypasses the clipboard and loads data directly to the browser).

3. Just for "fun" I tried logging into the changed uReach account with password "********" in case the clipboard paste was actually asterisks.  Somewhat obviously, in retrospect, it was not.

tick... tick... tick...  :wacko:

PS: I'm still writing this from IE, though reading it in FF, so there may be a javascript problem somewheres, I do use NoScript, but uReach is enabled and RoboForm had no problems with it...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Simply won't work
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 08:29:23 PM »
Hi Guestamundo,
You can bypass usage of the clipboard with PasswordMaker by using ALT-` or right-clicking on the password field and selecting "PasswordMaker". Neither of these options uses the clipboard at all; they insert the password directly into the browser.

-Eric

Guestamundo (guest)

Simply won't work
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 08:49:17 PM »
Well whaddaya know: after uninstalling PasswordMaker FF extension, including the .rdf file, then re-installing "clean", guess what: it still won't work!

I even allowed Javascript globally. And used CTRL+`.

The only clue I have left is that the password dialog on uReach.com only reveals 8 characters. I had thought and still think this is merely a cloaking device (sorry) to mask the true string length, but perhaps not, perhaps there is a Win98SE bug... ???

In any event, I cannot afford to try a different site a lock myself out of a serious account, and as long as PasswordMaker isn't smart enough to tell me what the trouble is, I'm afraid I can't use it, elegant though the extension system is.

Of course, I can't use PINs either, and KeePass has a strange bug where it drops characters from usernames, so... aw, crap!

:wacko:

Guestamundo (guest)

Simply won't work
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 10:52:10 PM »
Here's what makes it even stranger, and may indicate... uh... not sure:

Having gone to uReach.com and generated a password (making sure the URL read was correct, the master password correct, length correct, character set correct, yadda yadda) I not only copied it to a text editor, I wrote it down on --gasp! -- a piece of paper!

When the PasswordMaker auto logon failed (thru CTRL+` and right-click and invoking full dialog) I manually typed the password characters in.

And...

IT WON'T WORK.

The only thing I can now think of is that something is going wrong within my uReach account when using PM to fill the "what's yer new password" boxes from inside the accessed account.  So after this I'm going to generate the passwords with PM, but manually enter them those, then use PM to auto-fill the logon.

Thank you for your patience, I'm out of mine.

Offline quixin

Simply won't work
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 10:58:00 PM »
Guestamundo,  If you are interested, I made a wmv video of the process I used to sign up for a uReach.com account.  I don't know how fast your connection is but it is a 20MB file.

http://www.savefile.com/files/9250345

I used a test profile in Firefox to do it but note that on my primary profile I also use NoScript and it had no effect on my signup.

Good Luck.

Guestamundo (guest)

Simply won't work
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 11:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the effort. I've downloaded the file, but while it's apparently playing, the screen is completely black.  FYI I only have WMP codecs for the v9 series and earlier, higher won't work on Win98SE afaik... this just isn't my life...

Offline quixin

Simply won't work
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 12:01:19 AM »
Lets try once more.  I used WMV V8 this time.

http://www.savefile.com/files/5065946

Guestamundo (guest)

Simply won't work
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 12:35:58 AM »
Thanks again. WMV file showed enough to confirm your use of PM ext to login to your account. I cannot yet to do same. Will keep trying:  disable referrer control, custom Hosts file, etc. Ya never know. But the root seems to be that the passwords generated within my account -- the newly set ones -- are either corrupt, not being retained, or not being repeated from outside the account. Still can't account, pun intended, for this anomaly.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Simply won't work
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 11:33:04 PM »
OMG, quixin, thanks so much for helping Mr. Guestamundo! You rock. How did you create those vids??

Guestamundo: can you email  me your passwordmaker.rdf file?

-Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

Simply won't work
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 11:33:04 PM »