Author Topic: Omit characters per Account  (Read 12009 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Omit characters per Account
« on: August 28, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
Hi Eric,

I have a couple of Accounts that disallows certain characters as password characters (stupid, I know), but I'd like to be able to use any/all characters for most other sites.

I'd like a way to be able to still use the Default character set, but omit certain characters, rather than typing in everything again minus the illegal characters.

So, basically, instead of just the 'Characters' box in the Account Settings, make it something like:

[] Use Default character set; ------ [] Omit: [--------------------------]
[] Use Custom character set: [------------------------------------------]

Possible?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »
Hi Charles,
Something very similar has already been requested here. To summarize the existing request, There will be a list of pre-defined character sets from which you can click to auto-populate the Characters field (e.g., all numbers, all uppercase-letters, and many other combinations). The last option will be "Custom" which, when selected, will allow to define your own characters sets to be added to the list.

This should meet your request and more. What do you think?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 02:39:06 PM »
I like it, but... (I'm full of but's, you know... ;)

I'm working on my character set right now. I want to use all of the characters that I can - that are considered 'legal' or legitimate for most systems. I'd like to set this character set up as my 'Default' character set.

Then, for an account that for some reason doesn't allow certain characters, rather than retyping the entire character set, omitting just the characters that site doesn't allow, I simply type the characters it doesn't allow in the 'Omit these characters from the Defaults' box.

Some acconts I have only allow alphanumeric, which would be great as one of the pre-defined character sets.

So, I can see an advantage for both.

What do you think?

Again, this isn't a biggie... but if it's not too hard to do (its just another field, then doing a diff on the Default character set and the omit field, right?)...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 02:39:22 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 04:17:57 AM »
Hi Charles,
I think I need to push back on this one. It doesn't make sense to me to have a field for "permissable characters" and another one right next to it for "exceptions to those permissable characters" when you can simply remove the exceptions from the first field to begin with.  It just doesn't make any sense and would confuse people. I understand your plight, but I'm going to have to go with my gut on this :)

Sorry,
Eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 01:45:29 PM »
No worries, Eric - as I said, it wasn't a real 'biggie' for me.

And actually, once you get the 'New Accounts inherit settings from Defaults' working, this would work as you said (right now I have to copy-n-paste from the Defaults, then delete the unwanted characters), and that would be acceptable.

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 04:19:46 PM »
Just an aside... it occurred to me that there is one other advantage to having the omit characters box..

It makes it very easy to see what characters have been omitted.

For example...

If I start with the Default character set, which might have 50+characters in it (mine will once I settle on one permanently), then delete say 5 of them for a particular account, it would be impossible to see which characters are being omitted, without doing a paistaking comparison to the Default character set. character by character. With the Omits box, I know that the character set being used is the Defaults, minus what is in the omits box.

Again, I'm ok with you not implementing this, but I do think it would be nice to have.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 04:20:36 PM »
Sorry, forgot to log in...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 05:04:31 PM »
Ok -- I will do it then. It just will be lower on the priority...

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 11:12:50 AM »
Yeah - I want the foot-massage-on-demand implemented first, myself! ;)

But seriously, thanks...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 11:12:50 AM »