Author Topic: PasswordMaker Advanced Settings  (Read 21333 times)

Rick DeBay

PasswordMaker Advanced Settings
« on: August 28, 2005, 05:43:43 AM »
PWM 0.7.3
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217

The select list for the master password storage contains three options, two of which have their text cut off.
Each option should have a tooltip that reveals the full text.  I filed a bug years ago where Mozilla wasn't displaying tooltips for options, but I vaguely remember it was fixed.

The Master Password field is all asterisks, even though Hide Master Password Field is not checked.  I'd like to see it displayed while typing it in, as I don't store it and my pass phrase is difficult to type blindly.  I don't want it displayed if the dialog is brought up after it is closed.

Have dialog open in basic settings.  Remember the target audience can barely use a mouse, much less choose between hash algorithms.

As per one of my previous suggestions, have a choice for Generated Password Length to be the size or maxlength attribute of the form (unless you're using basic authentication, of course).

Rick DeBay

Offline quixin

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 07:39:46 PM »
As per one of my previous suggestions, have a choice for Generated Password Length to be the size or maxlength attribute of the form (unless you're using basic authentication, of course).

I love this request.  Would def. vote for it when one of my votes are freed!

Have dialog open in basic settings. Remember the target audience can barely use a mouse, much less choose between hash algorithms.

I think the basic options box is great for novice users.  Just need a master password and the URL is entered for you.  There is an explanation for how to change your defaults if you wish.  Couldn't be any easier.  I agree that some people are clueless but this is pretty much idiot proof.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 07:44:27 PM by quixin »

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 09:31:40 PM »
I'm not really sure what you're requesting.  Could you elaborate?
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:01:15 PM »
Hi Rick,

Have dialog open in basic settings. Remember the target audience can barely use a mouse, much less choose between hash algorithms.
PasswordMaker opens to whichever dialog you last used. When it's first installed, it opens to Basic Settings. I think it's important to "remember" which dialog was last used because some people prefer one dialog over the other. To assume everyone prefers Basic or Advanced (and thereby always open to the same one) is a step backwards, in my opinion. Remember, when first installed PasswordMaker opens to the Basic Settings dialog and if the Advanced Options button is never clicked, the user never sees that screen.

The select list for the master password storage contains three options, two of which have their text cut off.
True. I'm not sure what to do about this since I can't wrap text in a select box. I also can't extend the box's width anymore due to screen real-estate issues. I'll ask some other extension authors how they deal with this problem.

Each option should have a tooltip that reveals the full text. I filed a bug years ago where Mozilla wasn't displaying tooltips for options, but I vaguely remember it was fixed.
I'll check into this.

Yes, I remember your request. Tyrantmizar, can you add it to the list? He's requesting that an option for passwords to be as long as a site permits. If you look at most password fields in HTML, they look something like this:

Code: [Select]
<input type="password" name="Passwd" autocomplete="off" class="gaia le val" id="Passwd" size="18">
(That's from gmail). He wants the generated password to be 18 characters in this case. BTW, this reminds me of another request someone made once upon a time which I don't think is in the list: option to remove autocomplete="off" from password fields.

-Eric

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:24:22 PM »
Okay.  Got it.

Added as: Automatically limit the password length to the limit of the site.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)

Offline quixin

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:08:56 PM »
Okay.  Got it.

Added as: Automatically limit the password length to the limit of the site.
Its actually maximum not minimum Tyrantmizer, per Rick's wording. :clown:  For example, it could be a minimum of 6 characters and a maximum of 12.

Generated Password Length to be the size or maxlength attribute of the form
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 08:12:45 PM by quixin »

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 10:09:43 PM »
Well, as long as Eric, the holy creater of PasswordMaker knows what the feature means, then that's good enough for me.

Read: I'm too lazy.  :D  

I may change it anyway.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 10:10:04 PM by Tyrantmizar »
Tyrantmizar

Offline Romeo

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 11:39:21 PM »
Tyrant, that is actually quite simple.  Most password input boxes have an attribute limiting the length of the password.  If this is the case, the maxlength in PM should automatically be preset to that maximum length.

The PW box typically looks like this:

<input type ="password" maxlenght="25" . . .

That maxlength is what Eric wants to grab and set the lengh in PM to 25, in this case.

Hope that clears things up a bit.    :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 11:41:10 PM by Romeo »
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 01:24:54 AM »
Ah. Okay.  I understand now.

I'm not sure why we should make the distinction between maxlength and minimum lenth though.  Why would you set it to the minimum length? (also, there are bound to be some sites with a minimum length of 0 or 1, so that wouldn't be very good)
Tyrantmizar

Offline quixin

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 01:33:45 AM »
Why would you set it to the minimum length?

I agree 100%.  Thats why I spoke up to begin with, just so you could change what you added to the request list from minimum to maximum.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 01:34:37 AM »
Tyrant, I am sure that Eric will make it so that the user can override the length and make it shorter.  Personally, I set all my passwords to the maxlengh.  The longer they are, the more secure they'll be.

Offline quixin

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:38:35 AM »
I was thinking in the account specific settings 'password length' field you could just enter 'max' or something of that nature and PWM would use the max length.  Then you could still use whatever specific length you wanted.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 02:39:39 AM by quixin »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 02:55:38 AM »
Yeah, I'll put a button next to the password length field which, when pressed, will fill the password length field with the max length value as specified in the HTML.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 12:54:28 PM »
Tyrant see, I told you that Eric would come up with another splendid idea.    :rolleyes:

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 01:43:20 PM »
Quick confirmation on something...

If this enhancement is implemented, and the admin for one of the defined sites changes the max password setting, this will *not* affect the password, correct? In other words, the new password will still work because it is in effect still 'the same', only shorter?

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 01:43:20 PM »