Author Topic: Modifiable Username Prompt  (Read 63366 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Modifiable Username Prompt
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 03:06:47 PM »
If I change the username on the fly in this prompt, is the generated Password the same as if I had an account set up with that username entered in the username field? I mean, is the username entered on the fly used in the password calculations the same as the username in a custom account is used now?
Yes.

Ok, but a question... how does this look/work if there is only one account, and it isn't the 'Choose Account' dialog that comes up, but the MPW prompt?
Oh, I forgot about that. I'll put the easter egg there, too.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 06:58:39 PM »
Hmmm... I just tried to get this to work, and it is not...

To be honest, after having spent so much time creating all of my accounts, on top of being busy moving first our offices, then myself to a new house, I've just been using them as is, and haven't switched to using this feature. Now that I'm trying to, it doesn't seem to be working at all...

Did you end up removing it?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
It's still there. Press ALT-` when the "Choose Account" dialog appears. That said, it doesn't appear to populate the correct password--it populates whichever account is highlighted without regards to whatever I type as a new username. Can you confirm?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »
No - because I don't get the Username to pop-up - hitting ALT-` does nothing on the Master Password Prompt window... I'll go test the Account Selection window in a few minutes...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 07:58:43 PM »
Right. It's not implemented on the Master Password window yet.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »
Ahh... that would explain it...

Well, I won't be able to take advantage of this functionality until it shows up on the MPW prompt... dang it...

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 12:10:14 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Right. It's not implemented on the Master Password window yet.
Any hint on how long it might be? Having it on the Account Selection Prompt really doesn't help me at all - in fact, I'd say it really doesn't even belong there anyway, it should ONLY be on the MPW prompt.

But this still leaves a big problem - implementing it this way, instead of the way I wanted, if the MPW is saved to memory or disk, there is no way to take advantage of this feature. I do save my MPW to memory, so if you are not planning on ever implementing it the way I suggested (as an option in the Account Settings), then I will have to choose between the convenience of saving the MPW in memory, or being able to take advantage of this...

I hope you don't take this the wrong way - I really appreciate that you are trying to accomodate my request, but I thought it through really hard when I first made this request (and the first version, if you recall, was a monstrous change, compared to the final one), and boiled it down to the bare minimum impact on the UI and current functionality. The simple fact is, if you can't/won't implement it to work the way I asked, then please don't waste your time on it, because it won't help me.

That said, I hope you will reconsider, because if you did implement it to work the way I described, then I could go from about 70+ accounts, down to maybe 5 or 6. And again - I really don't see why doing it the way I asked is a problem, other than that 'slippery slope' you mentioned, in which case - a hidden setting that I had to manually edit in the RDF file would be fine with me, as long as it is there...

Anyway, thanks again for your hard work and for PWM!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 04:58:23 PM »
Hi Eric,

I just played with this in the Account Selection Prompt, and it is so close to being usable for me!!!!! Once it is moved to the MPW prompt instead of the Account Selection Prompt (doesn't make much sense to me to have it there anyway), I'll be able to delete a ton of accounts...

I know you're working hard on getting 1.6 out, and the new Multiple 'When URL equals' stuff is really awesome(!), but I just wanted to make these last comments on this request of mine...

First, when I choose an Account, then hit Alt-`, it doesn't populate the username from the Account that is selected - the username box is empty.

Now, after thinking this through - if you are unwilling to add an actual preference (hidden or not), that can be set on a per Account basis, then it actually doesn't make much sense to have it auto-populate the username, HOWEVER...

There is one huge reason that I would like to have the ability to set this as an option - and hidden is fine, as long as I can do it (in addition to the Easter Egg is fine)...

If I have set PM to save the MPW to memory (or disk), then I'll never have the opportunity to use the Easter Egg (because after the first time I enter the MPW, I won't be prompted for the MPW anymore - which forces me to choose between two very important features (to me at least).

Quote from: Eric H. Jung
I spent a lot of time trying to give this field focus after it's been revealed, but wasn't successful. I'll have to revisit that.
I don't know if this helps, but simply hitting the Tab key twice puts the cursor in the box after hitting Alt-` - is there a way programtically to do the same thing? If so, maybe you could add a 'Ctrl-a' as well select what is there (if you are able to get it to populate with the current username).

Regardless, Eric, thanks again for all your hard work...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 01:20:26 AM »
ok. i will move it to the other dialog. Won't make it for 1.6.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Modifiable Username Prompt
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »
Ping...

Eric - did this fall off of your radar? I had completely forgotten that you had already done this work... and now I just checked, and the easter egg appears to not be working in the Account Selection window either...

Any chance of revisiting this in the near future?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 03:55:05 AM »
It did fall off my radar. I was hoping it wouldn't come back on, either.... this is such a specific request for such a limited set of users (tanstaafl), it's hard to justify more time on it.

Offline howardb31

• Normal Members
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 06:56:40 AM »
I read that one votes for an enhancement by replying to its post. So I am replying, and I hope this creates my vote for adding this enhancement. If not please tell me how and the heck one votes for something!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:55 AM »
Hi howardb31,

You're vote is recorded... you have 4 more (everyone gets 5) - see anything else in main FR list that strikes your fancy?

Offline matneh

• Normal Members
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
I'd like to vote for this one too.  Every time I need to use a different username at a website, there is way too much overhead to add a new account.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »
done...

Any others that you like?

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »