Author Topic: Bad News  (Read 8780 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Bad News
« on: August 02, 2005, 02:21:37 AM »
Hi everyone,

Very bad news. I have two PCs at home. The first one broke a few months ago. The second one broke over the weekend. I'm using my wife's laptop at the moment, which I can only use a few minutes at a time.

Bottom line is I don't have a PC for development right now. I ordered some parts just now and hopefully they'll arrive in a few days. This puts the 0.7.3 release back. I apologize for the delay.

-Eric
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:22:06 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline quixin

Bad News
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 02:28:33 AM »

Thats to bad.  I just so happend to order a part of my own:

An AeroCool Turbine Power 550W Power Supply

Pretty sweet.  Good luck with the computer troubles.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Bad News
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 02:30:54 AM »
Very nice :) !!

I like newegg a lot. Thankfully I didn't lose any data (nightly backups and CVS helps).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:31:10 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Romeo

Bad News
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 02:33:40 AM »
Eric,

I am so sorry to heard that.  I hope that you'll be able to save the data, which you had on the PC.  BTW, I hate when something like that happens.  But you know what they say:  'shtuff (sic) happens'.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Romeo
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline quixin

Bad News
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 02:35:14 AM »
Yeah, I use newegg or sometimes zipzoomfly.

I was curious, do you have any means of keeping a record of how many times PasswordManager has been downloaded.  I just thought it would be a cool little factoid.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Bad News
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 02:49:17 AM »
I was curious, do you have any means of keeping a record of how many times PasswordManager has been downloaded. I just thought it would be a cool little factoid.

This has been an ongoing "problem." PasswordMaker is hosted on many different sites. The primary ones are:But there are other minor ones, like:There have been many, many, many downloads so far, but it's difficult to get an exact number due to all of these sources.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:15:35 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline quixin

Bad News
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 07:29:55 PM »
Speaking of addons.mozilla.org, I found this in the comments today:
Totally Unsecure
by Ryan, July 16, 2005 11:40pm

This program does not create "SECURE" passwords. I hate to tell you, but a simple program (Simalar to NuTCracker, or l0pht Crack) can break a password that has NO SPECIAL CHARACTERS (i.e. !@#$%^&* ) in less than 1 second. My job at work is to test network security across many domains and this program by far is the worst I've seen in a long time. Sorry buddy, but add some special character capability to it and you might have your hands on something.
To which Joe replied:
by Joe, July 17, 2005 3:23pm

Ryan, the extension CAN generate passwords that use non-aplhanumeric characters. It's an option in the settings, which you clearly haven't investigated whatsoever. I'd be very interested to hear how exactly you would use Lophtcrack to break passwords generated by this extension. Perhaps you could do a little tutorial?

That was just classic! Joe is the man, whoever he is.  It would appear however Ryan may have been commenting from an older version of PasswordMaker.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 07:31:05 PM by quixin »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Bad News
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 11:32:39 PM »
Back in the saddle! Got a new system up and running (Xandros Linux this time) with all development tools installed and configured. My Windows XP box is getting its mobo replaced by Shuttle, so when that comes back I'll have everything needed for serious testing except a Mac :)

Now it's off to vacation tomorrow morning for about 6 days or so... hold down the fort for me! (and try to answer peep's questions if you're able?)

happy august,
-Eric

Offline quixin

Bad News
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 12:03:52 AM »

Good news indeed!

Enjoy the vacation!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Bad News
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 12:06:14 AM »
Nice. Where did you find that clip??!

Offline quixin

Bad News
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 11:43:38 AM »
I think I stole it off some other forum some time ago. :)

PasswordMaker Forums

Bad News
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 11:43:38 AM »