Author Topic: Stop Remembering Master Password  (Read 6111 times)

Charles Marcus

Stop Remembering Master Password
« on: June 02, 2005, 04:17:57 PM »
Is there a way to make it stop remembering my Master Password? Every time I open Password Maker during the same browser session, even on a totally different site, my Master Password is already entered for me. I don't like that. I'd like to have to type in my Master Password every time I open Password Maker.

Oh, one last thing...

Many, many thanks for Password Maker!

This has made it so much easier to manage passwords - I love it!

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 11:44:37 PM »
Is there a way to make it stop remembering my Master Password
Yes, there are currently two ways to do this:

1. Clear the Master Password field (use the backspace/delete key until it's empty)

or

2. Change the selection from "Store master password..." to "Do not store master password"

I will also be adding a third way to clear the master password shortly: a "timeout" period. In other words, you can optionally specify the number of minutes which PasswordMaker will remember the master password. After that number of minutes pass, the master password will be erased from both memory and disk (if you selected disk).

This feature will add security: you can walk away from your PC without having to remember to close Firefox

Thank you for the compliments!

Eric

Charles Marcus

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 03:26:50 AM »
Is there a way to make it stop remembering my Master Password
Yes, there are currently two ways to do this:

1. Clear the Master Password field (use the backspace/delete key until it's empty)

or

2. Change the selection from "Store master password..." to "Do not store master password"

Agh... I just checked at home, and yes this works as it should - but I swear to you it remembers the Master Password on my machine at work even with this set to 'Do Not Store...'. I'll report back tomorrow when I can check it out. I guess it may be an extension conflict (I use a lot of them)...

I will also be adding a third way to clear the master password shortly: a "timeout" period.[?QUOTE]

Another excellent idea...

I'm still using 5.1 - I can't remember what it was that I read that you said that made me decide to wait until 6.1 before upgrading, but it looks like 6.1 is not far away, so guess I'll go ahead and take the plunge.

Many thanks again!

By the way - where can I send a donation?

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 04:54:41 AM »
I just checked at home, and yes this works as it should - but I swear to you it remembers the Master Password on my machine at work even with this set to 'Do Not Store...'. I'll report back tomorrow when I can check it out.
That could be. I don't remember what the behavior was in 0.5 (although I'm pretty sure 0.5.1 did this). You really ought to upgrade to 0.6, even with its one nasty bug (can't find the link on this forum where it's discussed, but the bug has aleady been fixed--0.6.1 beta2). If you're feeling adventurous, you might take a look at 0.6.1 beta 1.
By the way - where can I send a donation?
The PayPal link for donating is on the home page. I'm only accepting donations until I'm reimbursed for current expenses. Thanks for asking.

-Eric

Offline glowworm

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 04:10:13 AM »
I will also be adding a third way to clear the master password shortly: a "timeout" period.

I like this idea, it's how I have my PGP and steganography software setup.

As an aside, when the master password is stored in RAM, where and how is it stored, hopefully not plaintext as when the machine hibernates it dumps plaintext to disk.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 01:51:42 PM »
when the master password is stored in RAM, where and how is it stored, hopefully not plaintext as when the machine hibernates it dumps plaintext to disk.
The master password is never stored anywhere in plain text -- disk or memory. It is stored using AES-256 encryption.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 01:51:42 PM »