Author Topic: Difference between PasswordMaker 1.7.8.1-signed.1-signed and "Password Maker X 2  (Read 8526 times)

Offline drtkm

• Normal Members
Dear All - I am a new user of this very elegant solution about passwords - Password Maker. I tried it on 3-4 websites and found it very helpful. However, I am confused whether "Password Maker" and "Password Maker X 2.0.3" by emersion is the same and equally safe to use. I tried both for one website and two different passwords were generated. While the "Password Maker X 2.0.3" by emersion was last updated on February 8, 2016, the "PasswordMaker 1.7.8.1-signed.1-signed" was last updated on August 20, 2010 (quite backdated).

Which one should I use and why?

Please give your valuable opinions.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all,

Drtkm

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
I haven't used the one by emersion, but does it allow you to change how the passwords are generated? It's possible the defaults are not the same, or you alter one of the two.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline drtkm

• Normal Members
Thanks for your reply. It does allow to change the way passwords are generated through options menu.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
I've never heard of Passwordmaker X...

Miguel - do you know the origins? He references passwordmaker.org website in the Addon home page.

Is this just an updated/modified Passwordmaker? Or a total rewrite? Or what?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Ok, found a thread asking the same question and it is not related in any way, it was created by a former PWM user who wanted something more user friendly:

https://github.com/emersion/firefox-passwordmaker/issues/14

Personally, I've been wanting to learn some basic programming so I could do a total rewrite myself.

Miguel - do you have any suggestions for what would be the best modern language to learn to accomplish this?

Thanks

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Javascript can be used (And really, your only option for a Firefox extension rewrite). I would at the very least ditch the broken hmac-sha256 if you do a rewrite. Actually, I think the method used by the main Firefox version will break soon anyway (Because Firefox wants to be like Chrome), so a rewrite is needed anyway.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

PasswordMaker Forums