Author Topic: Idea to have FF Sync working with PWM  (Read 22109 times)

Offline Lebewesen

• Normal Members
Idea to have FF Sync working with PWM
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »
Hi,

some Addons uses FF Sync to syncronize their configuration. NoScript uses a "special" bookmark for that.

http://hackademix.net/2009/05/13/synchronizing-noscript-configuration-using-weave-or-xmarks/

Is it possible to add this feature to PWM? It would be a greate help! I use 3 computers with multiboot... Not easy to have all Synced.

Thanks,
Bastian

Edit: Maybe it should be in this feature request http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?topic=384 ? I'm not sure...
About ftp - I don't like it for my PWD's it can get compromised - FF Sync stores that encryptet and transfers encryptet...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:59:56 PM by Lebewesen »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Idea to have FF Sync working with PWM
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
There is a proper API for Sync. I would rather use that instead of some hack method.

And Sync support on PasswordMaker would only be useful for me if that was the only I was syncing between computers. I DON'T sync anything else.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
Automatic sync would be nice, indeed.

Offline Lebewesen

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:03:10 AM »
There is a proper API for Sync. I would rather use that instead of some hack method.

As far as I understand this "hack" uses the Sync API. Mozilla labs point to his article on the main sync side.

Adding Weave Support to an extension: https://mozillalabs.com/sync/
=> http://adblockplus.org/blog/adding-weave-support-to-an-extension (1)

The API hasn't changed since weave - as far as I can see:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Weave/Sync/1.1/API

Quote from: From the General Setup section (1)
So it is best to choose data granularity as small as possible.
Here is my idea to make an entry for each "account?" (Sorry I have the German version where it's called "Konto").
If I add sth new on one of my devices it would be updated to all with minimal traffic.

And Sync support on PasswordMaker would only be useful for me if that was the only I was syncing between computers. I DON'T sync anything else.
As for Sync works on nearly all Systems esp. mobile devices it would be greate to have not only bookmars and passwords in sync but also PWM. I used to store important PWD in sync - even if generatet by PWM - to have it on all my clients.

That would not be necessary if PWM uses FF Sync.

Bastian
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:17:24 AM by Lebewesen »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:58:43 AM »
This all sounds nice, but...

In my mind, it defeats the purpose...

I use PWM for its powerful SECURITY...

Storing my PWM settings file on some unknown untrusted third party server is NOT what I would call secure.

I wish Sync would use standard protocols (ie, FTPS/SFTP, SSH, RSYNC or other) combined with a well defined file format (JSON?) for storing the syn'd data, so that I could use my OWN server for actually storing the sync'd data.

This is why I like/use XMARKS for syncing my bookmarks - I can use my own server.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
You can use your own server for Sync, I haven't read into it though. As is, Sync is good if you want to sync everything. I'm someone who just wants PasswordMaker settings to be synced, as every device I use, I use for a different purpose that all my bookmarks are pointless to keep in sync. (along with anything else I could keep in sync, as far as Sync is concerned)

BTW, Noscript is just creating a bookmark to store it's settings, not using Weave/Sync's API.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
You can use your own server for Sync, I haven't read into it though.

From what I have read, it is very non-trivial to set up your own sync server - that is why I said they should use STANDARD/EXISTING protocols, rather than invent their own new one. I'm fine with inventing a new/proprietary file format to store the actual data, or using something already existing (like JSON), but the communication protocols should be able to use any existing server that already supports said protocols (like FTP/SFTP/FTPS/SSH/RSYNC, etc)...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »