Author Topic: Update for Firefox 4 Schedule?  (Read 32759 times)

Offline John Liebson

Update for Firefox 4 Schedule?
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
This is NOT aa complaint, a criticism, a "please fix" demand, nor any other denizen of that den of iniquity.

Rather, it is nothing more than a simple question, namely, is there any "more or less of a schedule" for updating PWM to work with Firefox 4 Beta 7?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:33:48 PM by John Liebson »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Update for Firefox 4 Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:51 PM »
When the first release client is made is when work will start.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »
Thanks---but please let me point out, again, that Beta7 is considered the bench-mark release for modifying extensions, dozens of which have been so modified over the past several weeks.

I posted a link to the Mozilla information about this, on this forum, http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2010/11/11/making-add-on-compatible-firefox-4/ , 10 November 2010. That document starts, "Firefox 4 beta 7 is out, and now is the best time to evaluate your add-on’s compatibility with the next major Firefox release. This is the first “feature frozen” release, meaning that there will be no more major changes performed to the UI, APIs or features in Firefox."

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
Use Add-on Compatibility Reporter to run PasswordMaker on FF4

As it stands now, it seems to work just as well. For some reason, I still get the blank window thing, so if I have time over the holidays, I might look into that.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
Use Add-on Compatibility Reporter to run PasswordMaker on FF4

As it stands now, it seems to work just as well. For some reason, I still get the blank window thing, so if I have time over the holidays, I might look into that.
Thanks. I had used the Compatibility Reporter with FF Beta4, and Password Maker did not work at all; based on that, I had not tried installing PWM in Beta 7, but just did with what will probably be Beta 8, and found that PWM does work.

"...probably will be Beta 8..": After Beta 8 was promulgated to the mirrors, and appeared on the Mozilla Releases page, one problem arose. There's quite a bit of traffic about this on various sources, such as MozillaZine and, as of this missive, no official notice as to whether the currently-available Beta 8 will be officially released or if it will be retracted and replaced.

At any event, having just used PWM successfully, I shall conclude that it works successfully; that, of course, ruins my day, as it forces me to go find something else to complain about.

For example, Bah! Humbug!; people who post messages with such absurdities as "!?!?!?,"; "I have a question?"--in the latter case, apparently the person doing the posting does not even know if they have a question; the misuse of `ts' and it's; and. of course, everything else.....

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
Portable Apps have Beta 8 out, so that's why I tried it. Wish I had thought to try it with Beta 7 however.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:53:04 PM »
Quick follow-up: Beta 8 has been released, as shown (among other locations) at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html . Checking other official sites, it appears that the version dated 16 Dec 2010, which is what I used to test PWM, is the same as the version released a short time ago, so that my brief testing would also appear to have been valid for Firefox 4.0 Beta 8.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
Small problem: Ctrl+`\Tilde does not work with Beta 8; you have to go into the Add-Ons page, select "Options" there to get PWM to appear on-screen.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
That sucks

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:06:19 PM »
I had a very strange crash in Firefox 3.6.13 last week, which caused lots of headaches, including that, apparently, the crash also managed to corrupt the profile for Beta 8, which was running at the same time. In creating a new profile for Beta 8, while installing extensions I did find that PWM does appear in the right-click context menu--but restoring the missing Ctrl+` would be helpful.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 01:45:43 AM »
If you enable the menubar (they need to add something like the wretch icon Chrome has before they remove the menubar), it's under Tools like it is under pre-4 versions.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
If you enable the menubar (they need to add something like the wretch icon Chrome has before they remove the menubar), it's under Tools like it is under pre-4 versions.
Yes, I've got that icon visible, but it is the keystrokes that I reported that don't work: They are not critical, given the icon to open PWM, but I have developed the habit of using the keystrokes in earlier versions of Firefox, and find it disconcerting when I press Crtl+` and nothing happens.

For whatever reason--or, more likely, lack thereof--I've never put the "open PWM" icon on the menu bar, mainly as my menu bar (in 3.6.x) already has enough clutter, and because I'm as capable of using the keyboard as using the mouse and don't have a problem in switching from mouse to keyboard, etc. Also, I find it too easy to click on the open icon when I mean to click on the CoolKey if both are on the menu bar.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:40:11 PM by John Liebson »

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 12:27:18 AM »
The menu thing I'm talking about, you have no control over what goes there. There's three items under the PasswordMaker menu, Open PasswordMaker, Coolkey, and Clear Master Password.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 04:45:05 AM »
I'll investigate the Ctrl+` issue shortly. In other words, I'll try to begin supporting Firefox 4 before a release candidate (OMG WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO)

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
I'll investigate the Ctrl+` issue shortly. In other words, I'll try to begin supporting Firefox 4 before a release candidate (OMG WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO)
The answer to your question is very simple, a mess....

Beta 9, as of yesterday, is scheduled to be released Thursday 13 Jan 2011; always subject to change if problems found.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »