Author Topic: video for beginners  (Read 5296 times)

Offline drawman61

• Normal Members
video for beginners
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »
I tried reading the posts under "tutorial" but I am still baffled.
Do you have a video that non-techies can follow step-by-step how to start from scratch?
One suggestion, if I may, for your wiki tutorial, I really think people like me would benefit from if you didn't punctuate the instructions with what the program is doing along the way, eg

"Through the magic of your favorite one-way hash algorithm (Passwordmaker currently supports all of these), PasswordMaker uses the master password and the URL/text string) that you provided, plus the account settings as modified by you, to calculate what is known as a digital fingerprint - or hash - which can then be used as your password for the website. "
At this point my eyes glaze over and I wonder if there might be an easier alternative.

In my car, I just need to know where the key goes to start it. What happens along the electrics to the engine to the pistons to the plugs is irrelevent. I am not trying to be flippant, honestly, but am just trying to convey how words and phrases that are everyday speak to you are hieroglyphics to bods like me.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: video for beginners
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 03:08:52 AM »
Someone want to handle the instructions? I got to the forums too late at night to really be able to do anything about it, and I'm likely to forget by the time I can do something.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:42:36 AM »
great idea, but we're all volunteers. who has time to make a video?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:54:33 AM »
great idea, but we're all volunteers. who has time to make a video?

I've actually been planning on buying a headset to record videos with audio, so maybe I'll be able to find the time to do this fairly soon... a picture really is worth a thousand words, and a few decent videos showing how I can log into 5 different sites with 5 different username/password combos all with very strong and unique passwords in less than 30 seconds would go a long way to showing the power of PWM...

Then I was planning on doing a few videos on different things, like creating a custom account, changing the password from your old one to one generated by PWM, etc...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
That would be hot.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »