Author Topic: PWM not working with sites that have specific password rules  (Read 7157 times)

Offline bvoges

• Normal Members
PWM not working with sites that have specific password rules
« on: February 06, 2010, 02:48:54 AM »
I'm enjoying using PWM, but I ran into a problem today with a couple of social bookmarking sites; one that required at least one number or symbol (but the generated pw didn't have any), and another that only allowed upper & lower case letters and 0-9 (but again the generated pw violated this rule because it contained a symbol).

Any elegant way around this? I ended up just using one of my standard pws, but I was hoping to abandon standard pws altogether.

By "standard" pw I mean that up until now I was using only about 3 different pws for 90% of my site registrations. I decided to bite the bullet when it became apparent that someone had logged into one of my social bookmarking accounts that was using one of these pws.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: PWM not working with sites that have specific password rules
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »
Using PasswordMaker's account settings should help. You just make a account (inside a folder, and you need to be in advanced view if you aren't already) and set the required url patterns and the needed tweaks for the site. I'll let someone else explain this in more details, or I can help with questions if you can figure this out on your own.

Another thing I have started doing was only using accounts for sites that are way different than normal (as my username is in my settings for example) and when all I need is the upper/lower letters and numbers, I use the Click edition (it's a bookmarklet) as it's easier than setting up a new account in PasswordMaker for just changing the allowed characters.

Mind you, I'm a bit of a power user, so I may do things a bit more complex than a normal person would.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline ignatius.reilly

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
bvoges,

if the site's password requires, say, a digit, you can simply set a password prefix or suffix to "1". Then regardless of the generated password your site password will have a digit.

Offline eladner

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:07:07 PM »
I have the same problem and I haven't been able to solve it.  I have an account set up that has the specific rules for a particular site, and it has an entry on the "URLs" tab that includes a wildcard pattern that matches the page to enter the password on with autopopulate set.  When that page opens, it autopopulates, but with a password generated from the default settings and not the specific rules on that account.

Any ideas?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
Please post the url of the site, and the url pattern(s) you are using. You might need to tweak the pattern a bit.

Offline eladner

• Normal Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:10 PM »
Here's the URL:  https://personal.vanguard.com/us/hnwnesc/PMLogin

Here's the pattern:  https://personal.vanguard.com/us/hnwnesc/*

input id on that page is PASSWORD

Pretty straight forward, I thought, but it's been a vexing problem for a while.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:29 AM »
Could you provide a snapshot of the tab? Might be something else I can't think of right now.

Offline eladner

• Normal Members
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
Attached...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »