Author Topic: Password Never Entered  (Read 7108 times)

Offline John Liebson

Password Never Entered
« on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
Found another anomalous site: https://jbalum.jburroughs.org/podium/default.aspx .

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 - Build ID: 20090624025744, PWM 1.7.2: My user name is filled in by PWM, but PWM does not recognize the password space, not even when using the Golden Key nor with PWM set to recognize the url automatically.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Password Never Entered
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
Weird... I thought I was going to confirm this, but happened to click in the field after it populated the username and *appeared* to not populate the password, and it looked like there was a password there...

So, I temporarily enabled the Global 'Show all passwords as clear text' option, and tried again...

As before, it populated the username, and the password field continued to show -password-... but when I clicked in the field, the generated password was there...

Did you actually try to log in after it populated the username?

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:31:59 PM »
Well, I've now tried to log in three or four times with -password- showing, as well as with manually entering my password, and all I get is a javascript indication in the task bar, even after restarting FF.

It works in IE7: I just tried it, entering username and password manually, but in FF, even though I was able to access the system earlier, nothing whatsoever happens when I click on "Sign In."

A bit later: It is even stranger than I originally posted: If I have an entry for the site in PWM, I cannot sign in! Remove the PWM listing, restart FF, go to the site, enter the data manually, that works.

I've tried removing the site from PWM and recreating it twice, to no avail; with a site set up in PWM, I can not sign in.

This has been a week for truly strange happenings:

1. I was seeing a security certificate error in IE7 for a web site I am developing. No one on the PayPal developer forum had an idea. I filed a ticket with PayPal, and they did not see the error. I started doing some testing, and, in FF, if I tried to retrieve the PayPal .gif by itself, rather than in the page that called for it, I then got an error message. Changed the src from paypal.com to www.paypal.com, error no longer appears in IE7.

Wrote back to PayPal, they said that, yes, it had to be www.paypal. Why did they not see the error, and why did they not notice, in the code I had submitted, that I was using paypal.com?

2. SnagIt Editor refuses to send screen shots directly to Thunderbird, even though it used to do so. Techsmith, the software company, does not know why. They asked me to download and run a program and submit the resulting file, stating that if the file were too big to send via e-mail, they would provide an alternate submission method. They did do that, sort of, failing to provide me with the link to their video that shows how to upload to their server using the upload link they provided.

3. See above for #3....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:50:19 PM by John Liebson »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
Can't help much more since I don't have an account, but I did confirm that clicking the Login button even with the username/password fields filled in does nothing...

Maybe this is a bug with the Tracemonkey engine? I know that there are fixes in the works for Tracemonkey in the upcoming 3.5.1... so maybe wait and try it then...

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »
Can't help much more since I don't have an account, but I did confirm that clicking the Login button even with the username/password fields filled in does nothing...

Maybe this is a bug with the Tracemonkey engine? I know that there are fixes in the works for Tracemonkey in the upcoming 3.5.1... so maybe wait and try it then...

Just recreated the account in PWM, with Firefox 3.5.1. Same result (or, perhaps, lack thereof). If there is an account for the site in PWM, I cannot log on to the alumni directory. In fact, having tried to do so with the PWM account, I find that, after removing the PWM account, I have to restart FF before I can log on manually.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »