Author Topic: All settings LOST on upgrading to new version  (Read 6403 times)

Offline glowworm

All settings LOST on upgrading to new version
« on: August 03, 2005, 03:32:05 AM »
Firefox just automatically upgraded Passwordmaker to the latest version. But in doing so it wiped all my custom settings.

Password Length, Algorithm, Elite Level, Prepended Characters, Special Domains, Master Password - [SIZE=14]ALL GONE. :blink:

What used to return 48ce8b00 now returns ef9cb5da

I trusted this program.  :angry:

AARRGGHHH!

How could this be let loose in the wild for automatic update without testing properly?

How do I get back my carefully honed settings that I hadn't noted?

How do I now login to all those sites I had PM passwords on?

Why doesn't PM make a .bak file if it wants to change things?

I am REALLY annoyed.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:22:16 PM »
Hi,

I feel your pain, and I certainly hope Eric can give you some good news, but...

You sound like you are blaming PM for your own error. This is not fair at all. I have made mistakes like this before, but the bottom line is, when we do things like this, we only have ourselves to blame.

I hope you can retrieve your settings to minimize the pain, but as long as you learn something from a mistake, it is never in vain.

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 03:42:07 PM »
glowworm,

I am shocked and horrified. I have never seen anyone lose their settings, and no one has ever reported this before. All versions are thoroughly tested by 3-4 people (including myself) before released.

First thing I would do is search your entire hard drive for copies of passwordmaker.rdf and passwordmaker.xml. Tell me if you find any of them. It could be as simple as Firefox created a new profile for you. In that case, the settings are stored in a different directory and not lost.

Let me know what you find.

Waiting for your reply,
Eric

Offline glowworm

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 10:56:44 AM »
I am really Sorry for being so upset. :)

I was lucky enough to have an old version of PM stored on a USB key along with portable Firefox. After re-entering all my settings my passwords seem to be working again so I am breathing much easier.

On further examination I noticed my Tabs were no longer defaulted to on, my theme was back to the default, I had also lost my StumbleUpon settings and all my Adblock filters were missing. My cookies, proxies and bookmarks remained untouched. My toolbars were in the correct place and order.

There was only one copy of the .RDF and .XML

So I now think this definately wasn't due to the PM update but due to something else, something that would zap the good part but not all of a profile (should I blame Microsoft's clunky WGA process? :D). After looking at my original settings along-side the changed settings I found it strange that PM was set to generate 8 characters and use SHA-256 but all other settings were gone. I don't think these two particular things are the defaults are they?

I was definately to hasty too lay blame on PM. I also totally agree with tanstaafl when he says I wasn't careful enough.

I really suppose the thing to learn from all this is to MAKE A BACKUP of important things like PM configuations, because one day you just don't know what will happen.

Eric, can I suggest you add a prominant Export Settings button so people can make backups easily?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 11:07:48 AM by glowworm »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 10:56:44 AM »