Author Topic: Encrypt PasswordMaker.rdf  (Read 873172 times)

Offline securesurfing

• Normal Members
Re: Encrypt PasswordMaker.rdf
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 02:59:05 AM »
I vote for this feature: encrypt passwordmaker.rdf

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
Your vote has been recorded... you have 4 more, see any other features you'd like implemented?

Offline guido33

• Normal Members
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
So genial wie die Idee dieses Programmes ist - so naiv scheinen die Realisatoren zu sein: Nie würde ein seriöser Administrator erlauben, dass auf eine so sensitive Datei frei zugegriffen werden kann!  Die Betriebssystem-Verschlüsselung nützt nichts bei einem eingeloggten aber verlassenen Arbeitsplätz, oder bei Verwendung der Anwendung auf portablen Datenträgern!  Die durch Eingabe des Masterpasswortes geöffnete rdf-Datei müsste sich nach einer gewissen (einstellbaren) Zeit der nicht Nutzung wieder verschlüsseln.
Nur so wäre diese geniale Idee konsequent umgesetzt!
Dass  die Verschlüsselung die meist verlangte Anforderung ist, ist aus der absolut grössten Zugriffszahl auf das Thema, 7388 mal, klar ersichtlich!

Alle meine 5 Stimmen für die Verschlüsselung!

Nur - habe ich den Eindruck, in Anbetracht dessen, dass diesbezüglich seit über drei Jahren nichts unternommen wurde, der Wille fehlt dies zu lösen, denn sonst wäre das Programm zu gut ...

Diese kritischen Anmerkungen erfolgen unter der ausdrücklichen Anerkennung und Dank für das bisher geleistete!

Translation with the help of 'Google':

So how awesome the idea of this program is - so naive the realizators seems to be: A serious administrator would never allow to use a program with free access to a such sensitive file! File encryption by the operating system does not protect when logged in but abandoned, or when using the application on portable media! The opened rdf file should, after a certain (adjustable) period of no use, became encrypted again.
Only then would this brilliant idea forceful implemented!
That encryption is the most demanded request, apparent from the absolute number of hits on the topic: 7388 times!

All my 5 votes for encryption!

But - I have the impression, in view of the fact that this has been discussed over three years, and nothing has been done, the will is lacking to solve this, because otherwise the program would be too good ...

These critical remarks are made under the explicit recognition and gratitude for what has been done!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »
Translation with the help of 'Google':
So how awesome the idea of this program is - so naive the realizators seems to be: A serious administrator would never allow to use a program with free access to a such sensitive file!

It is sensitive, yes... but since it doesn't store the actual password, the computer would have to be compromised with a keylogger to be able to ascertain the Master password, and then you have bigger problems.

In my opinion, yes, it would be nice, but it isn't necessary if you take reasonable precautions to secure physical access to your computer...

File encryption by the operating system does not protect when logged in but abandoned, or when using the application on portable media! The opened rdf file should, after a certain (adjustable) period of no use, became encrypted again.
Only then would this brilliant idea forceful implemented!
That encryption is the most demanded request, apparent from the absolute number of hits on the topic: 7388 times!

I feel your pain (I'd love to add all 5 of my votes to my favorite FR), but sorry, only one vote per Feature per user...

But - I have the impression, in view of the fact that this has been discussed over three years, and nothing has been done, the will is lacking to solve this, because otherwise the program would be too good ...

These critical remarks are made under the explicit recognition and gratitude for what has been done!

I'm sure if it was simple, Eric would have done it a long time ago... but this is free software (LGPL), so I'm sure he would welcome patches to add this functionality if you were so inclined... :)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »

Oh... and I did add one vote from you for it...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »
I'm sure if it was simple, Eric would have done it a long time ago... but this is free software (LGPL), so I'm sure he would welcome patches to add this functionality if you were so inclined... :)

Indeed. And patches have been submitted and accepted before by others. This is not a closed community.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »