Author Topic: firefox: multiple usernames  (Read 5301 times)

Offline reto

• Normal Members
firefox: multiple usernames
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »
I set the username of the predefined Account "Default" to my default username. I then duplicated the account to have variants with other usernames i use. To my surprise i found that the "Using Text"-field contains "[none - click account settings to set]", in the setting I can enter a text but I would like this to be generated from the URI of the site visited, as with default account. Or maybe I'm missing an easier way to switch between multiple usernames.

Cheers,
reto

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: firefox: multiple usernames
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »
Currently, the Firefox Extension doesn't allow that text to be automatically generated. Basically, you set the default account to be used 90% of the time, and an account for each site that you can't use the default account with.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline reto

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:53:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have one username that I use in 90% of the time. But except for sites to which I have multiple logins I see little security gain in taking the username into account for the computation of the password. I think I'll just leave this field empty.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »
I set the username of the predefined Account "Default" to my default username. I then duplicated the account to have variants with other usernames i use. To my surprise i found that the "Using Text"-field contains "[none - click account settings to set]", in the setting I can enter a text but I would like this to be generated from the URI of the site visited, as with default account. Or maybe I'm missing an easier way to switch between multiple usernames.

There is a Feature Request for this, which I would truly love to see implemented, as it would dramatically simplify the learning curve (don't need to learn about patterns and regexs, or manually add a pattern or regex to the account before it will work) for people new to PWM - and would make it more secure *and* less error prone (mistakes in patterns or a regex are common) when adding custom accounts.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »