Author Topic: Entering user ID when auto-complete is disabled  (Read 7264 times)

Offline rdebay

Entering user ID when auto-complete is disabled
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
There is a website that does not allow autocomplete, and I don't want to "enable autocomplete on pages which disable it."
I need to have the user id included in the password.

Is there a way to include a field in the "Advanced Auto-Populate" tab so that when I fill-in the field in the web page, it is used as the user ID in the password generation step?

Offline rdebay

Re: Entering user ID when auto-complete is disabled
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
For web-sites accessed by multiple users, we want to make the logon as simple as possible.  The user should be able to enter their ID, and then the password field should populate based on that user ID.
If they have to select a specific account first, it'll be difficult to train them to use it.

I don't want to ignore the username so everyone has the same password, in case someone's PC has been compromised.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »
Hi rdebay,

Is this a shared workstation/Firefox profile?

If so, then no, there is no way to do what you want as it stands now.

If not, then sure, each Ffox/PWM instance simply creates the one account with the correct username.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »
Rick, did you get an invite to try Abine? It supports the kind of accounts you're referring to. They are called "identities".

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:24:23 AM »
Eric - he was wanting PWM to use the username that was entered on the web form to perform the password calculation (so that the generated password would be different based on the username that was entered on the web form, not stored in PWM.

Now, I didn't get a chance to try to import my PWM accounts and experiment with Abine this past weekend like I wanted, so maybe the Identities feature would be an alternate way he could accomplish this, but it still wouldn't work the way he was asking about...

Also - is Abine better able to handle these sites that broke Autocomplete in PWM?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
Eric - he was wanting PWM to use the username that was entered on the web form to perform the password calculation (so that the generated password would be different based on the username that was entered on the web form, not stored in PWM.

thanks for the clarification.

Also - is Abine better able to handle these sites that broke Autocomplete in PWM?
it's not perfect but it is a lot better. the algorithm is completely different and much more advanced than PasswordMaker's. Moreover, when someone reports a site that doesn't work with autopopulate, we now have the resources (i.e., people) to fix the issue instead of PasswordMaker's "tough luck" policy.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »