Author Topic: On-line Version - Help  (Read 20393 times)

Bry

On-line Version - Help
« on: August 01, 2005, 07:42:44 PM »
HI

I have generated a password for a web site via my Firefox browser. I then go to this web site via Internt Explore. How do I use the online version of password maker to fill in the password field of the web site I wish to log on to?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Bryan

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 10:03:34 PM »
Hello Bryan,

To correctly fill-in settings for the online version, you must know what settings you're using in the Firefox extension. The defaults are:

Use l33t: not at all
Hash Algorithm: MD5
URL Components: Domain
URL: You should enter this
Generated Password Length: 8
Username: leave empty
Counter: leave empty
Characters: 0123456789abcdef
Password Prefix: leave empty
Password Suffix: leave empty

That's it. Let me know if it works for you. If you don't get the same password, then you're not using the above defaults (IOW, you've defined accounts)

-Eric

Bry

On-line Version - Help
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 04:23:40 PM »
Hello Eric.
Thank you for your help.

Ok, I start to enter my settings in the on-line version. I get to where I select the URL components, (by ticking a box) and subsiquently the url box directly bellow gets filled with the url 'passwordmaker.org' (this is not the site to which I wish to log on to.) I proceed and enter the rest of my settings, but no passwords are generated. This is not answering my problem, but I might not have made my origional question clear...

Pherhaps I'm missing something out.

Do I need to download anything via my Internet Explore browser?

Is there a step by step guide for the on-line version, that I can follow?

Also is it was possible to upload (or import) the settings to the on-line version. Could you clarify this for me please, and if it is possible, how do I go about doing that? ...

However, please, one step at a time. I could use some help to get the basic working first of all.

Any help kindley received.

I have generated a password for a web site via my Firefox browser. I then go to this web site via Internt Explore. How do I use the online version of password maker to fill in the password field of the web site I wish to log on to? Is this Possible?

Hopefully Yes :)
Bryan

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »
Hi Bryan,

I get to where I select the URL components, (by ticking a box) and subsiquently the url box directly bellow gets filled with the url 'passwordmaker.org' (this is not the site to which I wish to log on to.)
Don't worry about that. Just type over passwordmaker.org with whatever URL you want.

I proceed and enter the rest of my settings, but no passwords are generated
This is most likely because you haven't entered a value for Length of Generated Password[/i]

Do I need to download anything via my Internet Explore browser?
Nope! That's the whole point. You don't need to install anything.

Is there a step by step guide for the on-line version, that I can follow?
Well, other than the instructions I gave earlier in this thread---no. But I'm here to help you until you get it working!

Also is it was possible to upload (or import) the settings to the on-line version. Could you clarify this for me please, and if it is possible, how do I go about doing that? ...
Unfortunately, not at this time. This has been requested before and I'll add it eventually. However, you only have to set everything on the page once... the values are stored in a cookie. Next time you visit the page, they are automatically set to whatever they were last.

I have generated a password for a web site via my Firefox browser. I then go to this web site via Internt Explore. How do I use the online version of password maker to fill in the password field of the web site I wish to log on to? Is this Possible?
I think you're asking if you can automatically populate the password fields in Internet Explorer. No, currently you cannot, but I am working on an Internet Explorer version that should be out in a couple of months.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Eric

Bry

On-line Version - Help
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 08:32:03 PM »
Thank you Eric.

The passwords are being generated now and I am beginnig to understand the online opperation and its function. (Aways learning something new.)

The cookie is also doing its job. Which brings me to my next question..

Can you say what name this cookie is, please? (I would like to try and protect this from being removed from the Internet Explore settings.)

Any help, much appreciated.

All the best
Sincerely
Bryan

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 09:04:03 PM »
Hello Bryan,

The name of the cookie is settings and the host is passwordmaker.org. Here's a picture of it in Firefox's Tools->Options->Privacy

Its contents are encrypted. The name will change someday because I will need to use multiple cookies when I provide the option for each and every setting to be "stored" or "not stored" in the cookie (requested by a few users), just like master password can be stored or not stored.

Best regards,
Eric
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 09:04:40 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Bry

On-line Version - Help
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 05:16:35 PM »
Hello Eric

Thank you once again for your help. I have been able to safe-gaurd the passwordmaker 'settings' cookie in both Firefox and Internet Explore.

The option to store other settings sounds like a very good feature and like wise, so dose the 'White List'  (as you mentioned in another thread).

Thank you again for the help.
Bryan

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 05:27:27 PM »
You're very welcome, Bryan!

On-line Version - Help
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 10:33:31 AM »
Hi,

I just started using Passwordmaker and I find it extremely useful. However, I'm having problems to generate the same password with the Firefox extension and the online version.

I have read in this thread above that the online version uses the default settings (like MD5) but I do find the option to change it to a different algorithm. I'm writing the same configuration as in the extension and I do not get the right password so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong.

Could you please help me? Is there any caveats that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »
Hi Guest,

;)

Welcome to PasswordMaker!

Well, since it has been demonstrated that they both do provide the same results (they use the exact same code), unless you have discovered a real bug specific to something non-standard you have changed in the settings, it is probably something you are missing.

Are you using the defaults in both locations?

If so, did you make sure that you entered the URL correctly in the on-line version? This is set automatically when using the FFox extension, and is the easiest place to make a mistake when using the on-line version (since it will automatically use the 'passwordmaker'org' URL until you change it). I don't use the on-line version much, but am happy to try to help you figure out where you are going wrong...

Charles

Alejandro

On-line Version - Help
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 01:51:30 PM »
Hi Charles,

Thanks for your reply.

I have not used default values. I created one account for each site password I would like to manager (one for gmail, one for yahoo, etc) and chose an algorithm different than MD5 and length different than 8 characters.

I then did some extra testing and I finally managed to get the online and firefox extension to produce the same results by using the settings suggested by Eric H. Jung in his first post on this thread.

Is it so that the online version only works with those default values? How come then that the online version offers the different choices?

I agree that I won't be using the online version to much but I think it's a must to have it there and to know that it works with my passwords if I want to rely 100% on passwordmaker.

I'd be really grateful if you could help me out with this as I really like the idea of passwordmaker.

Thanks and regards,
Alejandro

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 02:22:46 PM »
Hi Alejandro,

Yes, absolutely, you should be able to use custom settings in the online version and get the same results as the extension.

Eric simply referred to the defaults in case you had not made any changes - it is not required to use the defaults in the online version.

As I said before, the most likely user error is in adding the 'using URL' in the online version, since you have to enter this manually, and don't have to enter it manually using the extension - although you can change it when setting up the account...

The second most likely culprit is the Character Set.

But, *everything* in the settings must be *identical*, or the passwords will not match.

Have you carefully compared what you have in the extension and in the online settings  to make sure they are identical? Even an extra (leading? trailing?) space somewhere would create different results.

Otherwise, you may indeed have found a bug with a specific combination of settings.

Any chance of you posting those here? I'll try them with my gmail account and see if I can reproduce the problem.

On-line Version - Help
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »
Hi Charles,

I finally figured it out. Thanks for your hints. What happens in that the firefox extension, when it creates a new account, it sets the character set to "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789`~!@#$%^&*()_-+={}|[]:";'<>?,./" while the downloaded zip of the online version offers the string "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789`~!@#$%^&*()_-+={}|[]\:";'<>?,./".

There is one diference and that is the backslash "\" before the semicolon ":" that the zip uses and the extension doesn't.

Could that be a bug?

Regards,
Alejandro

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 03:07:20 PM »
Hi Alejandro , wow, nice catch. That is a bug. Both versions should have the backslash.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
On-line Version - Help
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 03:13:54 PM »
Hey Eric - hmmm. won't fixing this cause problems?

Also, just noticed 0.87 - just wanted to confirm, the fix for this is *not* in 0.87, right?

PasswordMaker Forums

On-line Version - Help
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 03:13:54 PM »