Author Topic: Another Site That Does Not Work  (Read 17822 times)

Offline John Liebson

Another Site That Does Not Work
« on: December 16, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »
I hope I get this right, because I had finally gotten my wife to let me order something for her on-line, only to find that the site in question does not offer, in their on-line special-price order form, the same thing that is in the special-price flyer--and you have to enter two sets of information from that flyer to even see on-line that which is in the flyer. Trusting that you understand fully--oops, no way I can write that here....

So, to the problem:

The URL is https://www.americanstationery.com

The problem is that, when I moved to the registration password box and clicked on PWM/Populate This Field, nothing happened. I tried more than once, but had to give up, copy the PWM password from PWM to the two form boxes.

Of course, having managed to register, I could not place my wife's order, due to the stupidity of a company that offers on-line the same things that they offer in a flyer, except that they don't, sigh.

[Last minute addition: I'm using Shiretoko/Minefield, today's release, but have not seen more than one other problem with PWM and the Minefield/Shiretoko releases. I meant to post the other problem, but, being me, forgot to so do and now don't even recall what the site in question was/is/were/shall be.]

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Another Site That Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »
There are known issues (or there were) with the 3.1 builds if you have tracemonkey enabled...

Do you? If so, try disabling it and see if it works...

If it does, I'm sure Eric wouldn't mind a little help on fixing it up... ;)

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
There are known issues (or there were) with the 3.1 builds if you have tracemonkey enabled...

Do you? If so, try disabling it and see if it works...

If it does, I'm sure Eric wouldn't mind a little help on fixing it up... ;)
I've seen messages about Tracemonkey--not here, but on Mozillazine. Being me, I have no idea how to check to see if tracemonkey is enabled. The only reason I happened to see your reply before the system send me an e-mail notification was that I signed on here again to report another problem with the site in question. (A quick Moz search of the boards for tracing monkeys did not turn up the requisite information about finding or not finding simians.)

We got an e-mail notification of registration on the site, which stated that we had chosen to receive periodic e-mails from the company, which we had deselected. So, I returned to the site to see what was showing in the account (where the box for receiving such information was clearly deselected), only to find that PWM does not recognize the URL, neither automatically nor with the magic key. As far as I can tell, I have entered the URL properly; that is, of course, subject to someone pointing out the errors of my ways.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, PWM uses JS to detect the URL - tracemonkey is the new javascript implementation in the 3.1 builds that PWM has a problem with...

But, apparently tracemonkey is disabled by default, so if you're not even sure what it is, I don't imagine you enabled it...

I just tested the login page, and it detects it in 3.0.4, so assuming you have the pattern entered properly (did you copy/paste it?), this must be a 3.1.x bug...

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:07:54 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, PWM uses JS to detect the URL - tracemonkey is the new javascript implementation in the 3.1 builds that PWM has a problem with...

But, apparently tracemonkey is disabled by default, so if you're not even sure what it is, I don't imagine you enabled it...

I just tested the login page, and it detects it in 3.0.4, so assuming you have the pattern entered properly (did you copy/paste it?), this must be a 3.1.x bug...

Thanks. I believe you are correct about tracemonkey being disabled, now that I've read what you wrote about it.

I was using a copy-paste URL, with the requisite added asterisk; I added your URL to PWM, and that does not work, either.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:15:06 AM »
Ok, well, I guess Eric or someone else will have to take a closer look... sorry...

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:05:32 PM »
Ok, well, I guess Eric or someone else will have to take a closer look... sorry...
Just another example of how difficult it is to get good programmers these days: Surely "Eric or somebody" could have fixed this problem before I found it....

Oh, well, I guess that will just have to suffice.

If you send me a reminder, I'll post a thank-you for your assistance.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 01:27:12 PM »
I'm not sure if you were kidding or not...

The fact is, this problem only exists in the new 3.1.x betas, NOT in the current 3.0.x series, so I don't think it is reasonable to criticise Eric for not having 'fixed it before you found it'...

If you were kidding, then no worries...

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »
I'm not sure if you were kidding or not...

The fact is, this problem only exists in the new 3.1.x betas, NOT in the current 3.0.x series, so I don't think it is reasonable to criticise Eric for not having 'fixed it before you found it'...

If you were kidding, then no worries...
Sorry, but I would have thought that the entire tone of my message clearly indicated that I was kidding: One can hardly criticize another for failing to find things that have not yet been found except in jest.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 01:48:18 PM »
Yeah, I figured as much... but its a bit early and I haven't had my coffee yet... ;)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 07:41:28 PM »
Hey, banter-babies.... let me get this straight. Are you sure you are both using the exact same pattern? And auto-populate isn't working on that site for FF 3.1 but is for FF 3.0.x?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »
I can confirm that it is working with 3.0.4...

I haven't d/l'd any of the 3.1.x builds...

The pattern I'm using is:

https://www.americanstationery.com/*

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:57 PM »
Hey, banter-babies.... let me get this straight. Are you sure you are both using the exact same pattern? And auto-populate isn't working on that site for FF 3.1 but is for FF 3.0.x?
Well, I don't particularly like baseball, so "banter up" does not apply....

On the serious side: The problems I encountered are, as you surmised, with 3.1 nightly releases. As I first reported, PWM will not populate the password box, and then will not recognize the URL. The failure to recognize happens both with PWM set to fill in the two log-on boxes automatically and also with using the golden key. I can enter the data manually when logging on, including copying the PWM-generated password and pasting that into the proper log-on box, and can then log on, but only doing it in that fashion.

I have used the exact same PWM pattern as did Tanstafl, and also tried https://www.americanstationery.com/MyAccount/index.asp/* .

I wish I had reported the other site that I also had a PWM/3.1 problem with, the one I failed to report here; all I remember is on whatever the site was, I had a problem similar to the one with American Stationery. (I'll not mention the problems with the site itself, which is anything but well-designed, as that has nothing to do with PWM.)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
Can you verify that tracemonkey is in fact disabled?

http://tiny.pl/6p93

If you got ahold of a build that has it enabled - or maybe they have enabled it by default now - that might explain it...

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »
Can you verify that tracemonkey is in fact disabled?

http://tiny.pl/6p93

If you got ahold of a build that has it enabled - or maybe they have enabled it by default now - that might explain it...
Thanks. I was going to do a search about tracemonkey earlier today, but got diverted to other endeavors.

Using the link you sent me, I determined that x.chrome is set to false, while x.content is (and has been for some time--I needed to check that recently for some other now-forgotten reason) is set to true. Setting the later to false made no difference.

In continuing the testing, I did find one thing I'd not noticed previously (and it may not happened until today's beta-test update): I've got the two URLs in PWM. If I go to http://www.americanstationery.com/ and click on "Login", that takes me to https://www.americanstationery.com/MyAccount/index.asp. It is at that point that I now notice that PWM pops up the "Choose Account" box; however, neither one has any actual effect, as no data is entered from PWM to the log-in page.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »