Author Topic: Newbie Needs Assistance  (Read 6863 times)

K

Newbie Needs Assistance
« on: December 08, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »
Hello,

I have read great things about PWM.  I'm new to FF and PWM.  I'm uncertain about how to get started.  I've read the manual and the FAQs.  Here's what I've done so far.  I have created a master password.  Then I went to a website and generated a password.  I copied and pasted the generated password in a word document.  What is the next step?  If the password is not stored anywhere, how does PWM remember the login information?

I really appreciate your help!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Newbie Needs Assistance
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »
Hello,

Welcome to PWM!

But, I'm not sure which manual you read - the wiki is where the most current documentation is located... I suggest you start with How it works.

K

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
Thank you for directing me to the the wiki manual.  I am using PWM on two test websites.  It is working on both.

I have two additional questions:

1.  How does PWM remember the passwords if they are not stored anywhere?
2.  How do you get used to not knowing your own passwords anymore?  (I still feel like I should store them in a spreadsheet and print it).  Does that make any sense?

I truly appreciate your help. 

K

Offline quixin

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »
From the FAQ:  http://passwordmaker.org/F.A.Q.#Firefox_.2F_Gecko_edition

Where are the generated passwords stored?

Nowhere. The generated passwords are calculated on-the-fly as they are needed. The RAM used to store and calculate the generated passwords is proactively cleared to prevent passwords from being stored in a swap file/virtual memory/paging file.

You do have the option to print your settings and or passwords but most of us have learned to have confidence in PasswordMaker and go without it.  Just keep a backup of your RDF file and dont forget your master password...

K

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply  :)  What and where is my RDF file?

Thank you,

K

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »
See here

You really need to READ the wiki and documentation... we cannot do it all for you...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »