Author Topic: Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI  (Read 24389 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI
« on: September 11, 2007, 07:17:53 PM »
This is being posted for tracking purposes at Erics request...

- edited 10-24-07 to make images as attachments -

This FR is for some changes to the GUI to simplify the way the Global and Defaults Settings are accessed and managed:

1. Add a 'Global Settings' button to the 'Basic Options' window. Clicking this button would open what is currently the 'Defaults' account settings window:
- See attachment 1 -

2. Rename the current 'Defaults' account-specific settings window to 'Global Settings', rename the 'Global Settings' tab on the 'Advanced Options' window to 'General' and move it to the new 'Global Settings' window. This will eliminate the 'Defaults' account completely, and convert it to a window that opens when you click the 'Global Settings' button:
- See attachment 2 -

3. On the 'Advanced Options' window, remove the 'Defaults' account from the accounts list (note that the 'Global Settings' tab has been renamed to 'General' and moved to the new ''Global Settings' window), and add the new 'Global Settings' button:
- See attachment 3 -

I think these changes will make it much easier to understand the differences between working with the Basic and Advanced Options.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:48:17 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Re: Simplified 'Defaults'/'Advanced' GUI
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:21:13 AM »
Thanks, tanstaafl.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »
Hey Eric,

I'm very interested in what you think of this, and how much work it will be...

This will make a huge difference in how difficult it is for new people - and will make it easier for us, too...

Maybe for 1.7.5 or 1.8?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
(note that the 'Global Settings' tab has been renamed to 'General' and moved to the new ''Global Settings' window)

I don't see anything with the word "General" anywhere.

Quote from: tanstaafl
Maybe for 1.7.5 or 1.8?

Yes, I like it very much... but do you feel it's important enough to bump whatever else was going to be done post-1.7?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:10:26 PM »
(note that the 'Global Settings' tab has been renamed to 'General' and moved to the new ''Global Settings' window)

I don't see anything with the word "General" anywhere.

Right - its not on the 'Advanced Options' window any more, its now in the *new* 'Global Settings' window - which used to be the 'Defaults Settings' window...

Its on the second pic...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:37:03 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:57:29 PM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
Maybe for 1.7.5 or 1.8?

Yes, I like it very much...

Good - cause so do I... :)

but do you feel it's important enough to bump whatever else was going to be done post-1.7?

Well... I guess that depends on two things:

• what you had on your priority list, since I would never presume to ask for you to push something *I* wanted ahead of something *you* wanted, and
  • how much work it will be to get it done

As I said - I think it is very important because it simplifies the learning curve - *and* the documentation - quite a bit... but as always, the when is up to you... I'm just glad you like the idea, which means it will get done eventually... :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:55:38 AM by tanstaafl »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 12:02:48 PM »
Bump...

Eric, I really do think this one should be a priority (how much of a priority is up to you), because it will (greatly, imo) simplify the learning curve and how PWM works in peoples minds.

The new 'Character Sets' Tab would go here for managing the Global character sets (see my response to your post asking for feedback).

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 08:26:45 PM »
Bump back.

Yes, this would make a good location for a new characters sets tab. I'll take a look tonight to see how involved it is to do this. maybe this can be the next thing I work on instead of encrypting passwordmaker.rdf.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
Bump again... ;)

Hey Eric,

Just curious if this fell off your radar?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »
Ping...

Due to recent questions, I've been revisiting the old threads dealing with simplifying the GUI, and this one really screams for some attention...

Doing completely away with the 'Defaults' account per this FR will eliminate a lot of confusion for beginners.

But...

Combining these changes with one additional change:

Change the 'Use the following text...' text box to a checkbox option that, when not checked, would cause the 'Calculated URL' to be used. This would make Custom accounts use the Calculated URL for password calculation just like the current Defaults account does, resulting in more security and less confusion.

Of course, for backwards compatibility, existing accounts would have to be converted with this option checked and with the current value intact, but this should be the default for new Accounts.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
Change the 'Use the following text...' text box to a checkbox option that, when not checked, would cause the 'Calculated URL' to be used. This would make Custom accounts use the Calculated URL for password calculation just like the current Defaults account does, resulting in more security and less confusion.

More secure, because it would inherently prevent most phishing attacks since it is using the calculated URL

Less confusion, because there is no more Defaults account, only Default settings

As I said in a previous post, I've been thinking about this a lot more, and I'm going to make an argument for something that will resolve all of the GUI issues I have personally encountered (and still do)...

The good news is, it is in two parts, and the most important part (the GUI changes) shouldn't really require a lot of work, but the second part (which will not be nearly as important to me) willrequire quite a bit more...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »