Author Topic: REQ: Import Settings Enhancement?  (Read 15891 times)

Offline quixin

REQ: Import Settings Enhancement?
« on: July 31, 2005, 08:27:30 PM »
I'd like to know what others think of this and if its even possible.  I use PasswordMaker at home and at work.  To keep the lists current, when a change is made I make a backup copy and overwrite the old file with the new at either location.  Ive found if I don't keep both lists updated frequently,  I get too behind to just overwrite one.  The list at work may have a few accounts I don't have at home and vice versa.  So at this point I will have to manually enter the accounts that each is missing.  

Would it be possible for Import Data to only import the information that it doesn't currently have from the exported data?   If this isn't feasible, maybe I can adjust my passwordmaker habits to prevent this problem?  Suggestions please!

Thanks

quixin

Offline Romeo

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 10:41:56 PM »
Hi quixin,

That is a very good idea.  I do the same thing as you.  I use it at home and at work.  However, typically, I set up new accounts only at home, so I don't run into the problem, which you described.  So yes, I would strongly vote for this feature request.

Romeo
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 01:45:09 AM »
I can add that feature. There was a feature request some months back that PasswordMaker be able to upload/download its settings to/from an FTP server.

I suggest you centralize your settings file using an FTP or HTTP server until I can implement the "partial merge" you requested.

If anyone needs FTP space, please don't hesitate to send me a private email. I can give you one at ftp://passwordmaker.org/yourname. You can also get free FTP accounts from:

Netfirms
SDF
Metawire
Arbornet

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 01:56:14 AM »
I can add that feature. There was a feature request some months back that PasswordMaker be able to upload/download its settings to/from an FTP server.

Yes, I really like the sound of this.  These two features can work together and make keeping my password data updated almost effortlessly.  Could PasswordMaker upload the settings to an FTP only if there is new data present? Could it also automatically check for an updated file as well, maybe each time it is started?

This sounds very exciting although it does reveal a hint of laziness on my part.  :D

Offline quixin

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 01:57:28 AM »
I guess I forgot to login.  That was my post. :angry:

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 03:44:14 AM »
Could it also automatically check for an updated file as well, maybe each time it is started?
Yes, that's not a problem.

Could PasswordMaker upload the settings to an FTP only if there is new data present?
Yes, but how should I handle the case where the data isn't the same? If you've ever used an automated system to "merge" two files (like CVS), this can be challenging. What do you do when both sources (the FTP settings and the local settings) have conflicting accounts defined? Which has precedence, or do you prompt the user to choose? It can get quite complicated.

-Eric

Offline quixin

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 04:03:35 AM »
I see your point.  Perhaps it would be better for a quick popup window listing all accounts on the ftp side and allow you to choose which account to add.  In that case it shouldnt check each time PasswordMaker is started but rather add a 'Update password file from FTP' button or something of that nature.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 09:55:37 PM »
OK, I can do that. Maybe Tyrantmizar can add this to the Feature Request List with a link back to this thread....

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 11:26:19 PM »
Okay, okay. I get the hint...  here, it's added.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline ThePythonicCow

• Normal Members
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 12:01:19 PM »
Rather than providing an ftp mechanism to share configurations, instead
(or in addition) provide an email mechanism:
  • export would require one or more email addresses and an SMTP server URL.
  • import would perhaps best be done by cut+paste.
Allow for multiple outgoing email addresses, so I can save copies on both
my gmail and yahoo email accounts (for example).  Anytime I change the
settings, I'd email them out.  Anytime I found myself on a setup with stale
settings, I'd open up one of the email folders that these were setting in,
and cut and paste the body of the message into PasswordMaker to import
my settings.

A key advantage is here is that more people of access these days to
email servers that will store much information, and it is easy for them
to have 2 or 3 copies, on different email accounts, for redundancy.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 01:07:10 PM »
Hi ThePythonicCow,

A most excellent idea. The FTP/HTTP upload/download functionality is mostly complete and will be released this weekend at the latest (version 1.4). I'll add SMTP to a future (hopefully 1.5) release.

Tyrantmizar: can you add this to the FRL "Ability to email passwordmaker.rdf to arbitrary accounts?"

Thanks,
Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 01:07:10 PM »