Author Topic: Google Chrome Extension  (Read 29695 times)

Steve

Google Chrome Extension
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:19:45 AM »
I know Google has not released their extension API yet, but I would love to have a PasswordMaker extension for Chrome as soon as it is possible.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Google Chrome Extension
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »
You know, I was thinking the same thing the day it came out. If there's a way to add PasswordMaker to Chrome, someone will jump on it.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 03:50:44 AM »
Seeing as Google Chrome is a fork of WebKit (like Safari), I don't foresee this happening anytime soon. The only extendability provided by WebKit and its derivatives--so far--have been plugins to render non-HTML content (e.g., flash, adobe, quicktime, java, etc). Maybe that will change someday, but for now, Mozilla has a leg up on those guys in customizability.

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:24:30 PM »
I'd be much more interested in converting the existing FFox extension to make use of the sqlite db backend in 3+...

Also, apparently work is going to be required to make PWM work properly with the new JS implementtaion (Tracemonkey)...

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
Also, apparently work is going to be required to make PWM work properly with the new JS implementtaion (Tracemonkey)...

How so?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 01:02:01 AM »
Where did you get that information?

edit: it's my understanding that tracemonkey is a set of performance improvements to the javascript engine, adding things like loop optimizations that traditional compilers have had for a long time. See here. If that's the case, it shouldn't require any changes existing javascript code like PasswordMaker.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:05:34 AM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:37:22 AM »
Where did you get that information?

From this bug report and your response?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
Tracemonkey may be fixed so that it doesn't break anything, unless it's some code that does something really weird.

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
True... hopefully it does...

Offline quixin

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
Google Chrome may be getting add-ons sooner than later...

Web 2.0: Google Chrome To Support Add-Ons

Google said it will work hard to make sure its add-on paradigm keeps Chrome stable, unlike add-ons for Mozilla's Firefox and Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

By J. Nicholas Hoover
InformationWeek
September 19, 2008 01:18 PM

Google's new Web browser eventually will support add-ons and user scripts à la Firefox Add-ons and Greasemonkey, Google engineer Ojan Vafai said during a panel discussion on the future of Web browsers at Web 2.0 Expo in New York on Friday.

More Internet Insights
White Papers

* IdeaStar Technology Solutions Brief - Affinity Insurance Marketing via the Web
    * Web Ecosystem

"There's two different kinds of add-ons," Vafai said. "The Firefox things extend your browser, so to speak, and then there are user scripts. We intend to do both of those in Google Chrome." Greasemonkey's founder, Aaron Boodman, actually works on the Google Chrome team.

Google Chrome was released earlier this month and saw almost 2 million downloads in the first week alone, raising the visibility of Chrome as a strong new competitor to Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) Internet Explorer. It does a number of things differently from either, such as isolating browser tabs so that each one is treated almost like a separate instance of the browser for reliability purposes.

Vafai cautioned that Google will work hard to make sure its add-on paradigm keeps Chrome stable. "We hope to do them right," he said. "As many people notice in Firefox add-ones, there are problems with instability."

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210602700

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
Instability due to extensions is not nearly as big a problem as this article would lead you to believe.

I use 40, and have zero stability problems.

Its mostly a matter of being selective and only running ones that are well maintained and don't cause problems.

Offline BrockStone

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 04:33:59 AM »
Chrome officially supports extensions now.

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »
Well... yeah, but it is their own implementation, so FFox extensions would still have to be ported.

Maybe Eric and company are planning on supporting Chrome with Abine.

Speaking of which - Eric, my apologies, I've just been totally slammed at work and haven't had time to dive into the changes/updates in Abine, though I have noticed the extension getting updated a few times. I'm hoping to be able to do some serious playing with it this weekend to see if I can actually switch over.

Offline BrockStone

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 04:41:50 PM »
Well... yeah, but it is their own implementation, so FFox extensions would still have to be ported.

Maybe Eric and company are planning on supporting Chrome with Abine.

Speaking of which - Eric, my apologies, I've just been totally slammed at work and haven't had time to dive into the changes/updates in Abine, though I have noticed the extension getting updated a few times. I'm hoping to be able to do some serious playing with it this weekend to see if I can actually switch over.

It is, but at the same time, someone has wacked out a generate password based off hashing in no time.  I can't imagine it's tough to take the default PM stuff and put it into the extension system :)  It would sure make a lot of people very happy.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 09:54:36 PM »
No matter your browser, if you have a way to run bookmarklets (javascript embeded in the bookmark), there's a version of PasswordMaker to run. (Mobile phones, and game consoles may be the only modern platforms you can't run it from. The hard part with Chrome, getting the bookmark toolbar.)

I need to see how extensions are made for Chrome one day.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 09:54:36 PM »