Author Topic: iPhone version  (Read 21140 times)

Don B

iPhone version
« on: July 12, 2008, 03:59:34 AM »
I am interested in porting the mac widget by Brigham Brown to the iphone. I haven't done any mac or iphone developement before, but I learn quickly.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: iPhone version
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:48 AM »
Let us know the results. I don't have a iPhone myself, nor a Mac, so I can't help you out with that part, but for the Javascript code, I can.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:24:41 AM »
Did anything come of this?  I would love a bookmarklet version which prompts the user for their password and then populates all password fields on the page with the resulting value.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
PasswordMaker's code base is too big for a bookmarklet version.

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:07:05 PM »
I know next to nothing about bookmarklet limitations, but could you bypass that limitation by having the bookmarklet only support 1 combination of features (leetness, hash function, character set, etc)?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
That would be a nightmare to handle development wise, even if it could fit (488 characters for IE 6 SP2 support!!! That may be 1/4 of the space needed for just the hash algorithm.)

There is hope though, you can inject <script> tags in the page and load external stuff. All I need to do is edit the Javascript version and make sure no global variables (outside of ones unlikely be to used outside of PWM) are used.

When I can start doing any work on this? I don't know.

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »
That sounds very promising.  How would settings be handled (hash algorithm selection)?  Cookie?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »
Well, that's the main problem, there's no relying on cookies as that works on a domain by domain basis (and would expose your settings to the sites you use the bookmarklet on... ugh) and you only have the prompt command for getting user input which is nothing more than a simple text box (basically, the HTTP auth dialog without the password, which is actually how it's used in Firefox!)...

PWM is too complex for bookmarklet use it seems. There may be a way, but it requires more planning than I'm able to give it right now.

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
The only option I can think of is having the bookmarklet write variables to the document along with the script tag.  This would mean that a tool to "generate" your bookmark would need to be created.  Not sure how maintainable that is given I have not looked at any of your codebase.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
A page that would generate a bookmarklet for you, that's not a bad idea.

The bookmarklet would call the function with parameters for your settings though, so that they're not floating in the page.

Some more research will be needed (seeing as there's the small limit because of IE 6... which IE 5 and 7 don't have...) so that the script tag is not added three or four times by an impatient clicker.

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:40:14 AM »
I was worried about the security of that.  Your solution sounds much better.  Well hopefully you'll have time to get to this at some point.

Offline jstapleton

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »
I have an native iPhone app written up.

However, I need a couple of graphics yet until I can submit it. 

From Apple's App submission page:

"Your application application must contain a flattened, square-image icon that is 57 x 57 pixels. This icon is what will be displayed on the iPod touch or iPhone home screen." (.jpg, .jpeg, or .tiff)

And a "large image" icon:
This will be used to feature your application on the App Storefront. To be featured prominently on the App Store we recommend you provide an attractive, original icon that meets the following requirements:

512 x 512 pixels (flattened, square image)
72 DPI
.jpg, .jpeg, or .tiff format

Offline jstapleton

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 03:09:36 AM »
Nice, added to the navigation on the wiki.

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 05:41:58 AM »
FYI, I have found a bug in the iPhone app. All of the following hash alogrithms are not producing the same results as the other editions:

HMAC-MD5
HMAC-SHA1
HMAC-SHA256
HMAC-MD4
HMAC-RIPEMD-160

I have done limited testing with the others and they seem to be producing the same passwords.  I have sent an email to the developer.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 05:41:58 AM »