Author Topic: Future Browser Compatibility Risk  (Read 7793 times)

Offline quadricorrelator

• Normal Members
Future Browser Compatibility Risk
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:31:38 PM »
I have read about PasswordMaker and wish to use it.  But, I am worried about what will happen if PWM discontinues support in the future for some reason.  I can see that the Firefox browser is updated often, and if support for the product is discontinued, then future browsers might not work with PWM.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Does PWM plan to continue support for future operating systems.

I am worried that I will become dependent on this product, but then run into trouble in the future because I will have many complex passwords to manage.  This product is going to be used everyday and is critical so I want to understand what is likely to happen in the future.

I suppose I should also be worried about what will happen when I must change my operating system as well.

Many thanks,

-q

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Future Browser Compatibility Risk
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:17:50 AM »
I don't see support stopping anytime soon really.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:01:15 AM »
Hi,

You didn't specify which edition of PasswordMaker you plan to use. If you plan to use the Firefox extension, then even if PasswordMaker is discontinued, you can print out your passwords with PasswordMaker's print utility. You can also export them to a friendly HTML page for easy viewing without PasswordMaker. These options eliminate your dependency on a browser compatibility.

I'm not sure why you're concerned about switching operating systems since PasswordMaker is cross-platform.

Eric

Offline quadricorrelator

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:40:42 AM »
I am not sure exactly what cross-platform means.  Is PWM still expected to work with Vienna or future Microsoft systems?

I don't know which edition of PWM I plan to use.  Is there one which will is not dependent on the browser type and not dependent on the browser version.

I apologize for my naive questions.  I will try to learn how to use a couple of versions over the next few days so I will know a little bit more.

-q

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
PWM should work with future Windows systems. If it doesn't, then chances are, PWM is the least of your concerns actually.

The on-line edition could be the most feature complete version out right now that is not dependent on browser type. Only requirement is JavaScript basically. Not many browsers with JavaScript now would not have the needed amount of support to run it actually. For no browser what so ever, there's the desktop edition, command-line edition, and Yahoo Widgets edition. (There's a Mac version too, but I'm assuming you're not running a Mac because of your Windows comment)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »