Author Topic: Alt+` doesn't CoolKey under Mac using either FFb3 or the upcoming FFb4  (Read 23373 times)

Offline devinus

• Normal Members
It just enters ` into whatever text field I'm focused into.
Code: [Select]
  /**
   * Called on alt-` keyboard click
   */
  populateFields : function() {
    // off, pop-all, empty-only, clear-all
    if (passwordMaker.passwordShortcut == "off")
      return;

var wm = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIWindowMediator);
    var recentWindow = wm.getMostRecentWindow("navigator:browser");
    if (recentWindow) {
      passwordMaker._processShortcut(recentWindow.content.document);
    }
  },
To me, it doesn't look like there's anything platform specific, but maybe I'm wrong...

I found some code that may work better:
Code: [Select]
    var singletonWindowType = nsPreferences.copyUnicharPref("toolkit.singletonWindowType");
    var wm = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1"]
                       .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIWindowMediator);
    var recentWindow = wm.getMostRecentWindow(singletonWindowType);
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:27:11 PM by devinus »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Hi,

No, there's nothing platform-specific in that code. To make sure I understand the problem, Alt+` doesn't work on OS/X in ff3 only when a textfield has focus, right?

Offline devinus

• Normal Members
No, it's at all. When a textfield has focus it just puts a single character in there--presumably the backtick. Perhaps unrelated is that when in the textfield it looks as though the masking dots move DOWN into the textfield. It's very strange, but I've attached a picture of an example (GMail).

Offline devinus

• Normal Members
It also doesn't work on 1.7.2 and FFb5 now either.

Offline koreth

Confirmed; it's like PasswordMaker is not catching the key sequence. If a text field has focus, I see the underlined backtick for accented text entry; if no field has focus, nothing happens. The "CoolKey" option in the Tools menu still works fine.

FF2 doesn't exhibit the problem.

Online Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
It may be the Apple/Command key instead of Alt. If that works, then it's a mapping issue with a PC based extension in a Mac world. (my keyboard was made to work on both Mac and PC it seems, and my Alt key has the Apple and Command symbol on it, and the start key has Alt/Option)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

alex

I don't think it's the special keys. I tried it on both an official Macbook as well as on a homebrew mac (both with an official mac keyboard and a regular USB keyboard). Not only does Alt-backtick not work, for me also Ctrl-backtick does not open Passwordmaker (the icon at the bottom works fine).

This is Firefox 3 on OS X Leopard with passwordmaker 1.7.2

bryan

I'm experiencing this problem too. It's not a case of confusing Apple/Command with the Alt key.

Alt-backtick and Ctrl-backtick previously worked just fine using PasswordMaker on FF2/OSX.

However, using FF3/OSX, Ctrl-backtick works (opens the main PasswordMaker window) but Alt-backtick does not.

Any specific questions just ask. I am happy to help troubleshoot this issue further in any way that I can.

Offline koreth

Re: Alt+` doesn't CoolKey under Mac using either FFb3 or the upcoming FFb4
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 04:45:44 AM »
It is definitely still broken on OS X on FF3. Not a matter of me hitting the wrong key -- the hotkey works perfectly well in FF2 and I don't swap out my keyboard when I upgrade my browser.  :)

Clyde

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:58:28 AM »
Any update on this issue? It it's a nuisance since it renders the Coolkey unusable.

Offline koreth

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 07:09:32 PM »
I figured out what's going on here, though I don't have a solution. The Mac normally uses option+` as the compose sequence for accented characters. FF2 was not compliant with the Mac input method guidelines; it ignored that key sequence and you couldn't type accented characters in the normal way. So they fixed that in FF3.

To see this, open up Textedit or any other regular Mac app and hit option+` then the "a" key and you'll get an accented "a" character.

If there was some way to assign the CoolKey to another key sequence, that'd take care of it, and it should probably default to something else on the Mac. I've tried the Keyconfig extension and it doesn't seem to do the trick.

Offline quixin

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
Looks like KeyConfig has been updated for FF 3 until this can be worked out...

How can I change PasswordMaker's shortcuts (ctrl-` and alt-`) to something else?

Install the KeyConfig Extension. Scroll down to the PasswordMaker entry and change the shortcuts to anything you like. Changes won't take effect until you restart Firefox/Mozilla.

Ran

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
Same issue under FF3: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4 and OS X 10.5: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)

I tried using keyconfig to choose different keys, but no matter which combination I chose, PasswordMaker seems to ignore them. The Tools menu in the menu bar flashes (this is standard behavior no the mac when using keyboard shortcut), but no PasswordMaker window pops up - not the CoolKey window and not the main PasswordMaker window. Essentially, this makes Password Maker a mouse-only affair for me.

Ran Yaniv Hartstein

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
Same issue:
Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120121 Firefox/3.0.5
PasswordMaker 1.7.2

I too tried editing the keys using keyconfig, with many different combinations. When pressing the keys, the menu bar flashes, indicating that the key press was indeed registered and recognized, but nothing happens - the PasswordMaker window doesn't show up.

Offline CiscoKid

• Normal Members
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »
Same issue.

This happened when I upgraded to FF3. Now I'm using FF3b2.

When I use my mac, I end up copy and pasting the password... It's a very annoying issue.

Let me know if there are any fixes.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »