Author Topic: Catalog Choice Will Not Log In Automatically  (Read 8574 times)

Offline John Liebson

Catalog Choice Will Not Log In Automatically
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »
I've found another site that won't put the information into the log-in box, www.catalogchoice.org. (I don't know that this can be considered a bug, but as I like to pester the PWM folks, I'm posting it here, more for their consternation than for any expected resolution of the problem.)

I suspect I know why, for here is the text from the page that brings up the log-in dialog:

<li>Already a member?</li>
        <li><a class="highlight login" href="#" onclick="RedBox.createContainer('hidden_content_login'); ; new Ajax.Updater('hidden_content_login', '/login', {asynchronous:true, evalScripts:true, method:'get', onComplete:function(request){RedBox.addHiddenContent('hidden_content_login'); }, onLoading:function(request){RedBox.loading('hidden_content_login'); }}); return false;"><span>Log in</span></a></li>

When you click on "login", the main page goes dim, and a floating box appears in the center of the screen, asking for your log-in information. The "golden key" works fine, but not automatic population of the box when set to do so in PWM

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Re: Catalog Choice Will Not Log In Automatically
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:45:44 PM »
John,

Firstly, let me thank you for introducing me to to catalogchoice.org. My wife and I constantly complain about how much waste we get because of mail-order catalogs. She has spent lots of time on the telephone with some companies in an effort to stop them from sending us catalogs, usually to no avail. It drives us bonkers to think of the wasted paper, trees and ink used in producing these catalogs, as well as the energy consumed to print them, bind them, and deliver them via post when they immediately get thrown into the trash by us.

Secondly, you are right. The problem with autopopulate is that the login form on this site is loaded onto the existing page via ajax. PasswordMaker autopopulate only tries to populate new pages after they load. The login form on this site is not a new page; it's new data inserted into an existing page. I am glad CoolKey works, though.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:56:26 PM »
I just found a reference to Catalog Choice in a news feed yesterday. As with you, I'm quite happy to have found it.

I've gotten catalogs for many years, but I'm happy to say that most of the ones I get are ones I want, from companies that I've dealth with over the years. Now, however, my wife has been getting an incredible number of catalogs, most of which neither of us has the slightest interest in seeing.

I'd not be surprised if many of the ones we get are not listed at CC, but they allow you to add new ones.

The worst problem for us is going to be the myriad names/addresses at which we get the junk. I think my favorite is "John Phyllis Liebson"!
A fair number to John & Phyllis, but John Phyllis is quite amusing.

As for ajax, well, I don't use it. I find Zud to be a much better cleaner....

Online Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:54:28 AM »
Zud? What's that?

This reminds me that I need to see about canceling a magazine I don't want. Don't even know how I got it in the first place.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:32:43 AM »
Zud? What's that?

This reminds me that I need to see about canceling a magazine I don't want. Don't even know how I got it in the first place.

Magazine or catalog?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:39:25 AM »
It's a Magazine, not a catalog.

Actually, I don't know if I even get a catalog I don't want. I only get one like maybe 5 times out of the year (one per season, and an extra for Christmas)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:47:45 AM »
It's a Magazine, not a catalog.

Actually, I don't know if I even get a catalog I don't want. I only get one like maybe 5 times out of the year (one per season, and an extra for Christmas)

We get hundreds. hundreds every month. most of which we have never used.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 03:11:25 PM »
Zud? What's that?

Gosh, do I have to explain everything? Zud is duz spelled backwards....

Zud is an excellent cleaner; I buy it at the market. You can Google for it. The only problem with Zud is that it is somewhat difficult to get rid of it after using it; it takes a lot of rinsing. I use it mainly to clean the JennAire range top and the kitchen sink, both of which are stainless steel, and to get rid of hard-water stains, etc., in bathroom sinks and tub, etc.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 03:18:04 AM »
Ah, cleaner. I only saw AJAX as a computer term, not as a product name.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 03:18:04 AM »