Author Topic: New Accounts  (Read 13458 times)

John Doe

New Accounts
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:08:42 AM »
I can't figure out how to use different character sets and/or password lengths for different sites. For example some sites have annoying password rules, like digg.com for example, where they only allow letters and numbers. And other sites might limit the password length. I like to use the full character set and a long password in my default settings, and only weaken either criteria if necessary for these sites.

I read that I needed a separate account for these sites, but the "new account" option is grayed out so I can't select it.

Please help, thanks!

John Doe

Re: New Accounts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:36:48 AM »
Update: I figured it out. I made a new group called "Restrictive Sites" and populated it with accounts for those sites. But it doesn't seem to be working. For example youtube.com has a 15 character password limit, but I use 16 in my defaults. So I made an account for youtube.com and limited the password to 15 characters, but when I go to youtube.com and populate the password field, it enters 16 characters.

Isn't it supposed to recognize when I am at youtube.com, and limit the generated password to 15 characters? This is what I need.

John Doe

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:40:07 AM »
Just a caveat: please don't let youtube.com become a red herring; I realize you can get away with more than 15 characters when changing your password. I just used it as an example. My main point and question is that I need to be able to restrict the password criteria for certain sites, and have PasswordMaker automatically know when I am there.

Thanks!

John Doe

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »
Argh! I keep thinking of more to add, sorry!

I don't want to use auto-populate; I want to type in my username and right-click the password field for manual generation each time, but I still need it to know that I need a restricted password.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 12:59:39 AM »
Did you enter any URL patterns? If not, then PasswordMaker won't know to use that account.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

John Doe

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 01:07:57 AM »
Did you enter any URL patterns? If not, then PasswordMaker won't know to use that account.

In my youtube.com account, I have "Use the following text to calculate the generated password:" set to "youtube.com" - isn't that enough?

I didn't mess with the pattern section because it says that's for auto-population, and I don't want to auto-populate.

The help section scares me; I don't want to leave myself open to phishing. Do I really need to create a pattern for all these problem sites? Ugh.

John Doe

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 02:40:21 AM »
OK, I've set my wildcards to:

Code: [Select]
*://*domain.tld/*
It works, but is that secure enough? For example, would I be at risk from something like this: http://attacker.com/domain.tld/index.html

Thanks

John Doe

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 02:41:33 AM »
I should have wrapped that link in CODE tags, sorry.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 03:38:18 AM »
Only if you check the autopopulate checkbox does it actually auto populate fields.

And for wildcards, the most secure you can be is if you have no * before the first / after the domain.

John Doe

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »
Only if you check the autopopulate checkbox does it actually auto populate fields.

And for wildcards, the most secure you can be is if you have no * before the first / after the domain.

I don't have one between the slash and the domain...

I'm thinking there's really no way to be safe from phishing unless you specify the exact domain of every login screen.  :-\

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 03:05:45 AM »
I meant avoid a wildcard pattern like this: http://*.example.com/*
Note the * before the domain? So unless you want to learn some RegEx, the best thing to do is figure out which domains would need to be defined.

Offline dalesd

• Normal Members
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 03:10:24 PM »
I can't figure out how to use different character sets and/or password lengths for different sites. For example some sites have annoying password rules, like digg.com for example, where they only allow letters and numbers. And other sites might limit the password length. I like to use the full character set and a long password in my default settings, and only weaken either criteria if necessary for these sites.

I read that I needed a separate account for these sites, but the "new account" option is grayed out so I can't select it.

Please help, thanks!
I have a similar gripe with Passwordmaker.  It's those sites that don't allow punctuation.  I had already changed my passwords on many sites before realizing that there are so many that don't allow punctuation. 

Is there a way to set Passwordmaker to make this simpler?  From what I gather, I have to create a new account for every site that won't allow punctuation.  (Besides changing my defaults setting in passwordmaker, which would mean I'd have to change my passwords all over again.)

Or should I bite the bullet and change my default settings to not include punctuation?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »
Creating accounts seem to be the best way to go right now.

Offline Dave

• Normal Members
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
Try as I might, I have been unsuccessful in creating a changed password for one site only, leaving others all the same.  I've created a new account with the particular site in it, and gone to the extended tab and added a modifier.  The next time I try to log in to that site, PWM uses the Default settings, not the new account settings.

Whatever I try either doesn't change the PW for the intended site, or changes them all.  Is there a step by step procedure you can point me to?
Dave

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Are you creating URL Patterns?

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »