Author Topic: Migration  (Read 12891 times)

Offline AcidReflux

Migration
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I have been using PWM since the early version (Great work BTW :)).  I am in the process of changing which parameters I use to generate passwords moving forward.  Ideally, I want to change the default settings to my new choices and setup accounts for sites still using my old settings.  However, this doesn't seem to be working as expected.  If I setup an account for say Yahoo with my old settings, I need to enable auto populate and configure a url in the auto populate screen.  I don't use auto populate, I use the cool key.  It seems that the cool key only looks at default settings.  Is there a way to get the cool key to automatically pick the right account based upon a url match?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Re: Migration
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:04:13 PM »
AcidReflux... wow, I remember that nick from the days when we were hosted at http://passwordmaker.mozdev.org and had a simple "notes" feature (essentially a single-page of comments) for communicating. I can link you to those pages if you're interested in seeing them. Glad to see you're still around.

Anyway, CoolKey does look at both default and custom account settings. If CoolKey isn't using a custom account over your default, can you please post the URL patterns for both the default account and the custom account which should be overriding it?

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:18:35 PM »
Yup, it is the same guy :).  Long time Eric.  Still an amazing product.  I love the new master password hash.  I always seem to fat thumb my master password :)

Automatically populate fields not checked.  Pattern enabled, wildcard, *://*.yahoo.com/*
Default settings just matching domain

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:22:11 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the compliments. It really means a lot to me, esp. from a long-timer like yourself who's stuck it through since probably 0.2 days.

Eh... works for me. I entered exactly what you describe.  Automatically populate fields unchecked in both default and custom accounts. Just matching domain in deafult account. Using *://*.yahoo.com/* as the only pattern in a new custom account. Visited mail.yahoo.com and I activated CoolKey three different ways (toolbar, shortcut key, and context-menu item) and always got the correct password. Are you sure you're not getting the right password? Click Global Settings->Show all passwords on web pages as clear text to check. Also, the ring in the status bar tilts 45 degrees after CoolKey/auto-populate if a custom account was used. If the default account was used for the coolkey/autopopulate action, the ring does not tilt (but it still turns gold). Is the ring tilted for you after CoolKey activation?

Can anyone else chime in on this?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:31:12 PM »
I don't use auto populate, I use the cool key.  It seems that the cool key only looks at default settings.

Ummmm... Eric, isn't this the exact problem trojanpony was having (he said he was 'clicking on his key'?

I don't use the coolkey... let me go test... no, coolkey works for me...

<shrug>

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »
Well it seems to be working now.  I must have done something horribly wrong.  Sorry for the drill. 

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »
Bailiff! Whack his pee-pee!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:35:46 PM »
By the way - welcome back Acid... I remember you too...

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:55:13 PM »
I remember you as well :)

BTW, why is HMAC-SHA-1 considered more secure (via password strength) than HMAC-RIPEMD-160.  Wasn't SHA-1 recently cracked?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:27:37 PM »
RIPE-MD is essentially a variant of MD-4/MD-5. All MD algorithms are considered less cryptographically secure than SHA algorithms by cryptographers. That said, the password strength meter doesn't weigh the algorithm type in its calculation... it looks strictly at the generated password.

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
Ah, interesting.  Has anyone experienced any problem using the full character list (first item in selection list) on any website?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 10:09:25 PM »
Ah, interesting.  Has anyone experienced any problem using the full character list (first item in selection list) on any website?

Some, yes - but only those that dont like the weird characters... apostrophes and slashes seem to be the most problematic...

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:21:42 PM »
Ok great.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 01:32:17 AM »
Mr. Reflux,

Any chance you could post in this thread with any tips/advice on what it is you did to solve the problem?

Thank you,
Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 01:32:17 AM »