Author Topic: thought it was great at first...now i have issues  (Read 5615 times)

Offline hopefulpwmuser

• Normal Members
thought it was great at first...now i have issues
« on: October 13, 2007, 04:46:23 AM »
hello fans on pwm.  i have an issue i hope to find help with.  it has to do with a failed login to one of my e-mail accounts.  i used pwm last night to automatically fill in everything and changed my acct. pswd to the one that pwm made up for me.  to make sure, i signed out and signed back in again using pwm the whole time with no input from me in either the acct name or acct pswd.  but, i tried it again today and it didnt work.  i have also tried printing and viewing all of the created passwords pwm has given me.  unfortunately, it only views or prints out one of my "groups" (not the default one i was hoping for...the default one had my now defunct e-mail pswd in it...well maybe...).  i have tried closing the machine down, closing firefox down.
oh,and pwm remembered the pswds to my other accounts no problem...but i have since written (how last century is that for you) them down just in case and will not attempt to use pwm for a little bit.
thank you to whomever can help...if there is any to be had.

sincerely,
hopefulpwmuser

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: thought it was great at first...now i have issues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:34:25 PM »
You may have mistyped your master password for that e-mail account. This is the reason for the master password hash actually.

Also, if you setup accounts, maybe you messed up the URL patterns somehow.

"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:51:59 AM »
It sounds like you know the password that passwordmaker should be generating for this site. If that's the case, then turn on "Show all passwords on web pages as clear text", then  populate the password to see if it's what you expect. If it's not what you expect, what URL patterns have you used for matching the site?

Offline hopefulpwmuser

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:51:48 AM »
*sulks...kicks at the ground absently...*  i think i know what i did.  i CHANGED some settings...like user name and password length...and password type...and who knows what else.  but thankfully PWM remembers everything as long as i match the settings i had originally.  and make sure to restore those settings for the passwords that currently work.  it will just be an issue of trial and error.  i will get there eventually. 
oh; and no, i do not remember what the password is supposed to be.  that will be part of the fun!  woo hoo...call that one--ladies and gentlemen--a lesson learned the hard way.
thank you for the responses guys. 
the reason that i changed those settings--in case anyone cares--is that i am a member of a trading site that makes me enter two different passwords.  and so i have a suggestion:

i think it would be a good idea to let people know that if they are a member of a site that forces two passwords, and they want to use this great program to help protect them, they should either check another url option (like "sub domain") in the advanced options, or make a totally different group for the site.  i am sure that if you understand what i am saying, you could find a better and more intelligent way to phrase this suggestion.
thank you for the prompt responses.  i plan on being a regular here and helping the new people that fuck up like me!
wish me happy trial and error!

thx

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »
*sulks...kicks at the ground absently...*  i think i know what i did.  i CHANGED some settings...like user name and password length...and password type...and who knows what else.  but thankfully PWM remembers everything as long as i match the settings i had originally.  and make sure to restore those settings for the passwords that currently work.  it will just be an issue of trial and error.  i will get there eventually. 
oh; and no, i do not remember what the password is supposed to be.  that will be part of the fun!  woo hoo...call that one--ladies and gentlemen--a lesson learned the hard way.

Oops. Good luck. We've all been there. Hopefully it's not too difficult to get the site to reset the password for you, although if it's a trading site you might end up having to use snail mail. I feel your pain.

i think it would be a good idea to let people know that if they are a member of a site that forces two passwords, and they want to use this great program to help protect them, they should either check another url option (like "sub domain") in the advanced options, or make a totally different group for the site.  i am sure that if you understand what i am saying, you could find a better and more intelligent way to phrase this suggestion.

I'm not sure I understand.

i plan on being a regular here and helping the new people that fuck up like me!

That would be most welcome. Feel free to add/edit anything at http://passwordmaker.org by clicking the "edit" links on any page. It's a wiki intended for anyone in the community to enhance.

Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »