Author Topic: Unknown Passwords being generated  (Read 15370 times)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Unknown Passwords being generated
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 05:57:38 PM »
The problem Acid was having might be similar but I don't think it's the same.  First of all, I can't get anything to auto-populate (anything being anything new).  I just tried adding a URL pattern, even though this is a unique (I'm sure of that) URL.  Still not auto-populate.  As far as I can tell, it makes no difference what I do, the default info is being used and nothing auto-populating (again, anything new).

Dumb question...

You do know that this will happen if you try to 'use' PWM while you actually have it OPEN, right? I've had this happen to me before, where I have it open but minimized, and forget, then try to log in somewhere, and the MPW prompt comes up, but nothing gets populated...

Eric, would you classify that as a bug?

EDIT: oops, posted before seeing that there was a resolution...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:04:35 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline trojanpony

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 06:21:42 PM »
Well, now I'm quite confused...not a problem...but confused.  Eric, I tried adding new accounts without any URL patterns at all (just "domain.com") and with patterns.  I know I tried at least one because I copied and pasted the pattern Acid noted in his reply.  None of that worked.  When I copied the new profiles over and added a new account I entered the pattern *domain.com*.  Out of curiosity I just used this forum as a sample for adding a new account (No, i did not have this forum in PM, for some reason).  When I entered it, I did not use any pattern and got just what I was getting before: default account password.  I tried again and used *passwordmaker.org* and it worked fine.  I don't think that was my problem before because I know for certain I tried some different patterns, using a pattern identical to accounts I already had working (like the one that worked, then I deleted it and re-added and it wouldn't work).  However, I'm not sure I'd know to use a pattern straight away.  BUT, I can certainly see how browser URLs would differ from the URL entered into PM, then not be recognized and thus force PM to rely on the default.  I'd think that would be an issue that came up over and over and over again though.  Anyway, thanks again...I've looked high and low and PM is tops...nothing comes close.  I'd be lost without it (I have 11 groups with well over 100 IDs & Passwords...quite a nightmare to keep up with!).

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »
When I entered it, I did not use any pattern and got just what I was getting before: default account password.  I tried again and used *passwordmaker.org* and it worked fine.  I don't think that was my problem before because I know for certain I tried some different patterns, using a pattern identical to accounts I already had working (like the one that worked, then I deleted it and re-added and it wouldn't work).  However, I'm not sure I'd know to use a pattern straight away.

It sounds definitely like you were making some kind of mistake on the patterns.

You do know that "*passwordmaker.org*" is very insecure, right? You should never use wildcards at the beginning of a pattern. For example, for this site, you should use something like:

http://forums.passwordmaker.org/*

You also may be interested in a Feature Request for a much simpler Default Security Model that I created to address this very problem, although I don't think Eric has said he liked the idea or not - Eric, did I forget?

Offline AcidReflux

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »
I have noticed that using *://*.yahoo.com/* some times doesn't work.  I seem to have better success with http://*.yahoo.com/*  It could be my imagination though.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »