Author Topic: Mysterious entries  (Read 5175 times)

Offline trojanpony

Mysterious entries
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:48:48 AM »
I'm stumped on this one.  I have an account at www.bogusdomain.com.  When I go there, PWM tells me I have 2 accounts matching this URL and to select one.  Either selection yields the same password.  The problem is I DO NOT have this account, this domain, entered into PWM.  I've looked at every URL in every account in every group in PWM.  It's not there!

At one time the URL probably did...most certainly did have a PWM entry but it has long since been deleted.  Where is this PWM entry coming from and how do I get rid of it?

The problem is two-fold.  First I need to change the password for this account and I can't do it using PWM with these other two entries:  I just get the same password unless I change my username and I don't want to do that.  Second, If I use a prefex or suffix to force a password change, I'm still forced to choose between multiple PWM entries (which don't really exist) rather than having PWM auto-populate the fields.

What to do?

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Mysterious entries
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:04:01 AM »
The entry may be there, but not in a location you can edit it from with PWM's interface.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:06:23 AM »
Hi,

You have a pattern in one of the accounts (possibly even the Default account) which matches www.bogusdomain.com. You can either go through each account and look for the match, or open passwordmaker.rdf and look there. Patterns such as "*" or "http://*" will match the domain, but so will "http://www.bogusdomain.com/*"

In reply to miquel's comment, that is highly unlikely. I've never seen that occur, but if you think that's a possibility, then open passwordmaker.rdf and search for "bogusdomain" there (notepad works fine, or similar tool). Also realize that patterns like "*" which don't contain the domain name will match the name (but then they'd match a lot of other domains, too). I highly doubt miquel is right in this one case...simply because I've *never* seen what he's describing.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 12:22:29 AM »
You never know. While making a game in C++ this past weekend, I had a typo in which was basically this:
Code: [Select]
item - new Item() and yet, all it did was make a previous object create go really fast, and crash when the game attempted to go to the main menu.

Though the RDF would be most likely be useless anyway in this case, a computer crash may have caused the entry during deletion to have the RDF:Description tag left in tact while the RDF:li tag was removed.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 12:25:54 AM by miquelfire »
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline trojanpony

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:17:55 AM »
As I mentioned, I looked at every single entry's URL in every account group I have and it wasn't there.  I ended up opening the rdf file and editing out the two references to "bogusdoman.com" and that fixed the problem.  I suppose it could have been a wildcard entry that was causing PWM to recognize "bogusdomain.com" but it seems to be that this would create problems with other account entries as well (e.g. having to choose from multiple account entries for the selected URL/domain).  This was not the case.  Everything else was working fine and as it should.

Bottom line for me is the problem has been fixed and that's what I was after. 

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:46:53 AM »
Glad you got it resolved. You're right, if it had a been another (broader) wildcard other accounts would likely have been affected. If this happens again or you figure out how to recreate the problem, please let me know.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:46:53 AM »