Author Topic: Mobile (J2ME) edition  (Read 10534 times)

Offline da'covale

• Normal Members
Mobile (J2ME) edition
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:27:53 AM »
I was wondering when the J2ME edition is scheduled to be released (if it even is scheduled anymore).
The last post I have been able to find about it in the forum was a year or so old, and none of the posts I found gave any clue about when I might see a public release.

Is there anyone on it's way, or is it scrapped?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Re: Mobile (J2ME) edition
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:23:44 PM »
It's not scrapped, per se, it's just that it hasn't been a priority like the other editions. No one is working on it right now--we could really use another developer. I have the technical knowledge how to create it, and so does Miquel and probably Greg or Caspian, but time is another issue...

Offline da'covale

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »
Ok.
I don't know anything about java-programming (even though I'd love to learn) so I probably wouldn't be able to help much. But atleast I know that I shouldn't hold my breath.
Too bad in a way, because a J2ME-edition would mean 100% mobility. No internet-connection required, no computer required, only my phone. Ah well. I'll see if I can persuade one of my friends to take a look at it, but I have a feeling she'll tell me it's too much work for her right now. :(

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »
Ok.
I don't know anything about java-programming (even though I'd love to learn) so I probably wouldn't be able to help much. But atleast I know that I shouldn't hold my breath.
Too bad in a way, because a J2ME-edition would mean 100% mobility. No internet-connection required, no computer required, only my phone. Ah well. I'll see if I can persuade one of my friends to take a look at it, but I have a feeling she'll tell me it's too much work for her right now. :(

We already have a cross-platform (Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac) command-line edition and a cross-platform Desktop (GUI) edition. Neither of those require an internet connection. In fact, none of the editions (there are lots of them now) need an internet connection. Just a computer. But I understand your point...

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
Well, the current mobile edition needs internet. But that's only because it's the only one that will be sure to work on web enabled phones. (Online works, but I imagine is ugly as heck on the small screen)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:07:16 AM »
Well, the current mobile edition needs internet. But that's only because it's the only one that will be sure to work on web enabled phones. (Online works, but I imagine is ugly as heck on the small screen)

I thought even the mobile edition could be downloaded and run from the command-line using the PHP command-line shell. Of course, you can't run the PHP command-line shell on your mobile phone so what good is that?  ;D

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:07:16 AM »